Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

If it makes you feel any better, the exact same thing happened to me at 7pm yesterday. As usual this morning, I got on to Tech Support, after three calls, I'm still off the air. I have one of the new fancier Ripwave's and it just flashing 'Searching'. It will not connect to any of their sites. According to them nothing is wrong at their end. After the weekend we had as Ripwave customers, I think this is the final straw for me. An extra tenner a month to Eircom and all this grief will be behind me. Please call Tech Support, the more of us call, they might realise that something is wrong, and not just me imagining that something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭krissrodriguez

It comed back like magic around 1pm :) , otherwise this is my first problem with IBB (guess I'm a lucky one), so I do hope will not happen again, as I have voip service and I do some work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Wits end here. You know i just thought i would look and see if there were any posts about Irish Broadband and loss of connection every 2 minutes, etc. I thought it was just mine. Obviously not.
    I always have full signal bars, and then every 2 minutes or so after about 7.30 at night i lose connection, i give up going on the internet after 9. I have tried ping -t and end up with a 75% loss on average, thats when i have a good connection, I also did an internet speed tgest and the results told me i had a 28k modem attached. Christ, my 56k modem was twice as fast as this. I spend 5 minutes waiting for o2 to load, if it does, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't. What i would like to know is that how can IBB get away with calling it "Broadband" surely you have to be delivering a speed greater than 28k, hell 56k, to call it broadband, if so is that not false advertising? Surely you can't call something broadband, if you don't deliver broadband?
    I have one of those new modems two and i am only 290 meters from the mast, not to mention being on the top 3rd floor of an apartment, is all the hastle i go through every night worth 18.95 a month? I think not.
    Sorry.... Rant over... (i sent emails to IBB but they don't care.... just venting me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Just seen a picture that seems to sum up all you issues and describe thier service well on the IBB website :

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/promo_business.php

PANTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

ibb in the tallaght area broke pretty much completely for the last 4hrs or so, now its back. its been pretty ****ty for the last 24hrs more so than usual

http://www.spoofedpacket.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?start=2006-04-28+00%3A00&end=2006-04-29+16%3A00&target=World.Europe.IBB.IBB-83-141-64-156&displaymode=n&Generate%21=Generate%21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Looks like this thread is starting to get noticed and is hurting them!! :) Apparently they have made "Big Changes" :rolleyes: I plucked this article from yesterdays Sunday Business Post.

Punter power gets results
    Irish Broadband has been forced to improve its service, writes Adrian Weckler

What do you do when you have hundreds of angry customers who are being left on hold? What happens when those customers start posting irate messages on online discussion chatboards and weblogs? Christina Byrne knows all about it.

"I was getting phone calls on my mobile at 10 o'clock at night," said Byrne, director of customer service at Irish Broadband. "People were posting my number on the web and encouraging others to call it." When she was appointed director of customer service at Irish Broadband in January, Byrne placed herself in the firing line of a particularly angry mob of disillusioned punters. These people, unable to take part in the broadband 'revolution' due to lack of access from Eircom, had pinned their hopes on wireless broadband with the small Sandyford based company. But there were teething problems. Before long, many punters were in a rage, faced with a customer service culture which, according to Byrne, was "crap". "People weren't having their calls returned," she said. "We had 20 people on hold at any one time. We had a backlog of 3,000 e-mails that hadn't been dealt with. We were understaffed and not organised properly."

The scale of the problems facing Irish Broadband was very public. Two whole pages of customer service complaints were dedicated to the company on the popular technology messaging portal, Boards.ie. The company was facing a major threat to its reputation as a broadband provider. "The problem was that we had mad growth," said Byrne. "We were trying to do everything at the same time and not hiring enough people." The result was an endless stream of fighting fires and dealing with angry punters who weren't being adequately informed about their problems.
    "We thought we were all set up but we underestimated the capacity required," said Byrne. "Today we have 28,000 customers. But last October alone we got almost 7,000 new customers."
    Byrne was a veteran of call centres in Esat BT - now British Telecom Ireland - and companies in Canada. "The first thing we did was to set up the call centre so that staff were re-trained and multi-skilled," she said. "We also hired more staff there was a mad rush around that. Then we handled the backlog of e-mails. In December, that stood at about 3,000. Now we answer all e-mails in the same day."

Customer support employees are in no doubt as to the importance of doing things better than before, said Byrne. Some have been disciplined for falling short of the mark. "In retraining our staff, one of the things that we did was to allow them to see more information about the company,'' said Byrne. "That way, they have a better view of things." Byrne's message appears to be that the company has got its act together.

"Comparing then [2005] with now is like the difference between day and night," she said. Nevertheless, Irish Broadband still has some issues that it's dealing with. One of these is how to manage a broadband network with the increase in the number of heavy downloaders. Such people use their broadband connection constantly, to download very large files such as films or masses of music. Although it's usually only one or two people per area, it can have a knock-on effect on other users in the catchment area, reflected in slower broadband speeds.

"There's one area where one individual has caused us to limit the number of subscribers to 45 because of his bandwidth usage, whereas the norm is 75 to 100."
    This is being rectified, said Byrne, through the use of special bandwidth management technology at the firm's Sandyford base. The result is that it has not had to throw heavy ' users off its network.
    "I don't know of any customer that we've written to because we have people managing it," she said. "We just manage their traffic down. Generally, it's not a problem for us."
    A related issue is the network itself. With such a heavy rise in subscribers, is it 'maxed out?
    "A number of areas are maxed, but that doesn't affect the quality or speeds of customers' broadband," said Byrne. "Nevertheless, just to be sure, we're currently grooming the number of customers from a maximum of 100 in a given area to a maximum of 75 as a built-in cushion."

Irish Broadband has yet to reach the customer service level that it's aiming for, said Byrne. It still gets 4,500 calls a day, with between 25 and 30 per cent relating to problems. "Are we completely there yet? Maybe not," she said. "But our average for missing calls is now just 8 per cent, below the industry average of 10 per cent. We're expanding the network massively this year and expect to have 75,000 customers by the end of 2006."
    The company looks set to launch a datacard broadband product shortly, based on its Ripwave brand. This will put it in direct competition with mobile operators Vodafone and O2, which also have similar datacard broadband plans for this year.
    Irish Broadband is also scheduled for flotation, according to its owner, National Toll Roads. This will most likely occur on the London based Alternative Investment Market.

For now, though, Byrne is concentrating on the company's ongoing customer service rehabilitation. ”Our service was crap but we've turned it around in the last couple of months," she said. "'We've a young, dynamic workforce and now offer a great service."

Miss Wonder Woman herself :p Although I am not an IBB customer, (and wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot Bargepole) I am appalled by the way they are treating their customer, I guess they are trying to look good now and trying to save face as NTR are flogging them onto the stock market soon in a IPO, Considering the company is losing money and has the reputation of a STD ridden Prostitute, I predict that unless they get their act together properly they will be in serious trouble and may go bankrupt.

They are a bunch of muppets really, I saw an article here about how Digiweb "are one well run ISP" all Digiweb has to do is move in to IBB territory and they will have the majority of customer brought over in jig time. I myself am involved in a County Group Scheme and have stipulated that IBB be under no circumstances allowed to be the provider when & if it comes through.

Keep turning the screws on them fella's eventually they will buckle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Great to see at least one Sunday paper treating the issue seriously. Now wouldnt it be great if they followed up some of the BT billling threads?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I see that she is a "veteran of call centres in Esat BT" - hmm....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

parsi wrote:
    I see that she is a "veteran of call centres in Esat BT"

oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh
    oh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Somebody mentioned DigiWeb as an alternative "good" company. ? I tried to move to them and away from (**ESAT) but there was very little 'good' to report. The jury is still out but from my experience they will prove to be no better than any other BB or internet provider. ? Maybe others have good experiences with them ? I was astonished at their lack of interest. Their slowness. It left quite an impression with me as I thought that with the debacle of all other Irish BB providers so apparant, the door would be wide open to DigiWeb to 'clean up' ? They don't seem to be looking at it like this at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

netwhizkid wrote:
    Looks like this thread is starting to get noticed and is hurting them!! :) Apparently they have made "Big Changes" :rolleyes: I plucked this article from yesterdays Sunday Business Post.

Miss Wonder Woman herself :p Although I am not an IBB customer, (and wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot Bargepole) I am appalled by the way they are treating their customer, I guess they are trying to look good now and trying to save face as NTR are flogging them onto the stock market soon in a IPO, Considering the company is losing money and has the reputation of a STD ridden Prostitute, I predict that unless they get their act together properly they will be in serious trouble and may go bankrupt.

They are a bunch of muppets really, I saw an article here about how Digiweb "are one well run ISP" all Digiweb has to do is move in to IBB territory and they will have the majority of customer brought over in jig time. I myself am involved in a County Group Scheme and have stipulated that IBB be under no circumstances allowed to be the provider when & if it comes through.

Keep turning the screws on them fella's eventually they will buckle.

i thought IBB "didn't QOS or traffic shape" its customers and doesnt distinguish between business and residential users (i though the only differnence was the SLA. if thats the case did she just admit to QOS'ing IBB's heavier users? and from teh sounds of it without even informing or warning the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

This is being rectified, said Byrne, through the use of special bandwidth management technology at the firm's Sandyford base. The result is that it has not had to throw heavy ' users off its network.
    "I don't know of any customer that we've written to because we have people managing it," she said. "We just manage their traffic down. Generally, it's not a problem for us."
    A related issue is the network itself. With such a heavy rise in subscribers, is it 'maxed out?
    "A number of areas are maxed, but that doesn't affect the quality or speeds of customers' broadband," said Byrne. "Nevertheless, just to be sure, we're currently grooming the number of customers from a maximum of 100 in a given area to a maximum of 75 as a built-in cushion."

"We just manage their traffic down"...

riiiight. This is suppose to make things *better* for us?
    and surely if one person is causing such a huge drain on bandwidth it implies they're, oh, i dunno, PAYING for a high bandwidth connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Irish BroadBand eat puppies and small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

So yeah... today after a week of downtime I get two IBB repair technicians out, after two hours working on whatever it was they were working on they tell me that IBB can no longer provide me internet. So they took the equipment down and left.
    After being with them for 3 years or more, all of a sudden I have no access, absolutely ridiculous! Now I'm stuck for a (decent) provider, one with large, or no download caps as there are 5 heavy users in the house. I'm so stinking angry right now!!

So yeah... today after a week of downtime I get two IBB repair technicians out, after two hours working on whatever it was they were working on they tell me that IBB can no longer provide me internet. So they took the equipment down and left.
    After being with them for 3 years or more, all of a sudden I have no access, absolutely ridiculous! Now I'm stuck for a (decent) provider, one with large, or no download caps as there are 5 heavy users in the house. I'm so stinking angry right now!!

I hope you shouted after them as they fled with the equipment to cancel the direct debit?

As well as being short of bandwidth I wonder if they are now short of equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

After being with them for 3 years or more, all of a sudden I have no access, absolutely ridiculous!
    Well that's the nature of wireless unfortunately, anything could have happened in the intervening time - new buildings sprung up between you and the base station, tree growth, whatever.. there's no guarantees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

That's true Peanut, there have been some major buildings put up... but i'm not sure. Anyway, I had been looking to get out of the rest of the contract I had with IBB, just not so soon as neither NTL or Smart are in my area yet.

Looks like it's a 6 month contract with BT or Digiweb for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Firstly, I should point out that apart from a couple of issues during the first 3 months of my contract with IBB, I've generally been quite happy with their service. I'm not a particularly heavy downloader though I was a bit pissed off with a max download of 30kbps when I was allegedly on a 512MB service. However, about 2 months ago IBB called out to my house and replaced my dish with a small antennae and increased my package to 1GB for no extra charge.

Immediately the improvement was brilliant, download speeds well in excess of 100kbps (ok some of you may not find that brilliant, but it was comparatively brilliant and more than adequate for my needs.

All went well until I started getting "IP conflict" error messages in the last day or two; and I rang IBB this morning to query this. The first tech support person told me that my IP address had been given to another customer (duh, I already knew as much) and then left me on hold for 20 minutes before cutting me off. The second tech support person told me it was impossible for an IP address to be allocated twice. He insisted on troubleshooting the equipment, but since I had rung from work (customer service doesn't start until 9am in IBB, I start work at 7) I had to wait until I got home. I rang again this evening and a 3rd operator, got me to disable and re-enable my TCP/IP connection and then read out my IP address before putting me on hold and cut me off (that's twice in a day) and finally the 4th operator confirmed that my IP address had, in fact, been allocated twice and gave me a new one. While all the people I spoke to were courteous (can't say helpful - they did try but mostly they hadn't a clue what to do), it seems IBB's customer service department still has a lot to learn.

Am currently getting download speeds of about 70kbps - not as good as I had been getting but not back to the original speeds yet either.

Has anybody else had a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i was with eircom for about 2 years. i found their service brilliant, but i was put off by paying line rental for a phone i didn't use. yes, the line is also used for broadband, but that just meant i was paying more than they advertised.
    contacted IBB and they hooked me up. problem was i didn't have an ethernet card on my home made pc. got the ethernet card, installed it and connected to the net. straight away i was hit with a virus not through a dodgy site either. i had my home page set to google.ie and it was on that page that the virus attacked.(w32.spybot.worm)). i eventually got rid of the virus, got things up and running, but i was getting download speeds of (and i'm not kidding here) 400 bytes per second on what is supposed to be a 2mb line. i went to the bank and cancelled the DD. they can go and suck my balls if they think they're getting any money from me. i'm currently using my cousins pc. it's dial-up and is 10 times faster than IBB.
    funnily enough though, i can get over 100kb/s when using azureus.
    i'm going back to eircom. i'll pay the extra few quid for a stable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The wif and I decided to try IBB and I even saw all the negative reviews on here but thought I'd give it a try anyhow. I installed it last night and found the connection to be absolutely atrocious. It kept disconnecting and reconnecting. When it was connected it was as slow as molasses. When I called tech support they said to move it around, wait 1/2 an hour and keep tryin that until the signal improves. I tried that once or twice and thought, screw this. I should be able to plug in and surf away. I was sick of paying Eircom charges but it was a steady service. I think I'm going to look into an alternative landline service, even if I have to go through Eircom to get it.

• Advertisement

JJ wrote:
    The wif and I decided to try IBB and I even saw all the negative reviews on here but thought I'd give it a try anyhow. I installed it last night and found the connection to be absolutely atrocious. It kept disconnecting and reconnecting. When it was connected it was as slow as molasses. When I called tech support they said to move it around, wait 1/2 an hour and keep tryin that until the signal improves. I tried that once or twice and thought, screw this. I should be able to plug in and surf away. I was sick of paying Eircom charges but it was a steady service. I think I'm going to look into an alternative landline service, even if I have to go through Eircom to get it.

Thats incredible! The hokey cokey approach to tech support? you put your right leg in etc etc shake it all about and see will the signal improve??

Next it will be rabbits's feet buried in the garden and chant at the full moon......

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

I have been with IBB in the Bray/Greystones area for just going on 2 years. Probably one of the first in the area to sign up, service was great up till about 7 months ago now I get consistant packet loss, high ping and intermitant service. I have a 2MB connection but never have I once got close to this, even in the early hours of the morning. Every time I ring technical support, they are very nice but absolutely clueless!! If you suggest something as a possible cause they automatically agree. You could suggest the problem is due to the pope been catholic....they will agree. If you dont suggest something they either find a problem and say they fixed it but cannot tell you what the problem was ...and funnily enough the situation does'nt change or they say nothing is wrong!! I am going absolutely MAD!! I complained sooo much this month they gave me two weeks off my bill, but its not the money, I just want a steady quality lvl of service which just seems to be out of IBB's reach at this time. IBB get your act together!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

After the months of trouble I had my connectio is still very very good. I thing it is a couple of months now I have been getting steady 1.96 down and 3 to 6up.

Very stable.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Lpfsox wrote:
    Firstly, I should point out that apart from a couple of issues during the first 3 months of my contract with IBB, I've generally been quite happy with their service. I'm not a particularly heavy downloader though I was a bit pissed off with a max download of 30kbps when I was allegedly on a 512MB service. However, about 2 months ago IBB called out to my house and replaced my dish with a small antennae and increased my package to 1GB for no extra charge.

Immediately the improvement was brilliant, download speeds well in excess of 100kbps (ok some of you may not find that brilliant, but it was comparatively brilliant and more than adequate for my needs.

All went well until I started getting "IP conflict" error messages in the last day or two; and I rang IBB this morning to query this. The first tech support person told me that my IP address had been given to another customer (duh, I already knew as much) and then left me on hold for 20 minutes before cutting me off. The second tech support person told me it was impossible for an IP address to be allocated twice. He insisted on troubleshooting the equipment, but since I had rung from work (customer service doesn't start until 9am in IBB, I start work at 7) I had to wait until I got home. I rang again this evening and a 3rd operator, got me to disable and re-enable my TCP/IP connection and then read out my IP address before putting me on hold and cut me off (that's twice in a day) and finally the 4th operator confirmed that my IP address had, in fact, been allocated twice and gave me a new one. While all the people I spoke to were courteous (can't say helpful - they did try but mostly they hadn't a clue what to do), it seems IBB's customer service department still has a lot to learn.

Am currently getting download speeds of about 70kbps - not as good as I had been getting but not back to the original speeds yet either.

Has anybody else had a similar issue?
    Yep, same thing happened to me but I got lucky, the tech. support knew about the problem and he gave me a new IP straight away. Seems to be happening often enough...
    It's funny though... Imagine a company giving your IP address to another customer... Unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

It may not be the company handing out the same IP twice. Seeing as all Breeze customers get a static IP address its plausable that someone put in the ip address wrong OR just said well Ill try this one 83.xx.xx.xx and it caused an IP conflict! is that not so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

It may not be the company handing out the same IP twice. Seeing as all Breeze customers get a static IP address its plausable that someone put in the ip address wrong OR just said well Ill try this one 83.xx.xx.xx and it caused an IP conflict! is that not so?
    No. You're wrong. It's IBB's fault. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Vile

I have been with IBB in the Bray/Greystones area for just going on 2 years. Probably one of the first in the area to sign up, service was great up till about 7 months ago now I get consistant packet loss, high ping and intermitant service. I have a 2MB connection but never have I once got close to this, even in the early hours of the morning. Every time I ring technical support, they are very nice but absolutely clueless!! If you suggest something as a possible cause they automatically agree. You could suggest the problem is due to the pope been catholic....they will agree. If you dont suggest something they either find a problem and say they fixed it but cannot tell you what the problem was ...and funnily enough the situation does'nt change or they say nothing is wrong!! I am going absolutely MAD!! I complained sooo much this month they gave me two weeks off my bill, but its not the money, I just want a steady quality lvl of service which just seems to be out of IBB's reach at this time. IBB get your act together!!

I'm also in the Bray/Greystones area (also one of the first), and I've had nothing but problems recently (I also had problems about a year and a half ago, but those were solved after about 2-3months).

I think I've rang about 20-30 times in the last 2 months. Everytime it's the same:

Me: "You've got a huge problem in the Bray/Greystones area. Same problem that you've had for the last 2 months."
    Tech Support: "No we don't. Do you have a router?"
    Me: "Yes...but that's not the problem."
    Tech Support: "No...it probably is. Try connecting without the router."
    Me: "I've done that before...it's not the problem. I also know 2 other people in Greystones having the same problems."
    Tech Support: "You might have a virus."
    Me: "No...I don't."
    Tech Support: "Well I can't see any problems. Try turning on and off your router."
    Me: "No...the router isn't the problem."
    Tech Support: "Have you checked your computer? You might have a virus."
    Me: "ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!111!11!"

I've done just about every test possible before I even rang the first time, yet they never believe me. We even got a techie out to our house finally...but since the net was working fine that morning, he couldn't do anything. Someone should really start a petition and send it in to IBB. Either get your act together, or give us a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Vile wrote:
    I'm also in the Bray/Greystones area (also one of the first), and I've had nothing but problems recently (I also had problems about a year and a half ago, but those were solved after about 2-3months).

I think I've rang about 20-30 times in the last 2 months. Everytime it's the same:

Me: "You've got a huge problem in the Bray/Greystones area. Same problem that you've had for the last 2 months."
    Tech Support: "No we don't. Do you have a router?"
    Me: "Yes...but that's not the problem."
    Tech Support: "No...it probably is. Try connecting without the router."
    Me: "I've done that before...it's not the problem. I also know 2 other people in Greystones having the same problems."
    Tech Support: "You might have a virus."
    Me: "No...I don't."
    Tech Support: "Well I can't see any problems. Try turning on and off your router."
    Me: "No...the router isn't the problem."
    Tech Support: "Have you checked your computer? You might have a virus."
    Me: "ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!111!11!"

I've done just about every test possible before I even rang the first time, yet they never believe me. We even got a techie out to our house finally...but since the net was working fine that morning, he couldn't do anything. Someone should really start a petition and send it in to IBB. Either get your act together, or give us a full refund.

ive had the same problem you are having , i was again one of the first to Install IBB when they came into Bray/Greystones area , again was ok til about 9 months ago , i now get a average of 40% Package loss all the time , the BB is unusable , i rang them about 20 times to get the exact same conversation you are getting

TBH it is a bloody joke there service they give you , ive heard from 2 IT companys and another Boradband Provider not to touch them as they play with the bandwith , but they are the only BB company in my area at the moment so im kinda stuck , i mainly use it to comect to work and gaming , but cant do either with the package loss

the only thing that i heard was Eircom is upgrading my area soon and then ill be moving asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

IBB are the only ones that can provide me with BB so im wondering whats the reason for their poor service and slow speeds. are the slow speeds as a result of over subscription? i live in whites cross which is relatively unpopulated so contention or over subscription wouldnt really be a problem.

Are they worth a shot as they are the only ones who can give it to me or should i stay with good old dial-up?

Advertisement