Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

blocparty wrote:
    IBB are the only ones that can provide me with BB so im wondering whats the reason for their poor service and slow speeds. are the slow speeds as a result of over subscription? i live in whites cross which is relatively unpopulated so contention or over subscription wouldnt really be a problem.

Are they worth a shot as they are the only ones who can give it to me or should i stay with good old dial-up?

mate i deal with BB in my company and i have IBB at home due to only one in my area , and ill say this stick with Dial-up it is faster then IBB's 2MB lline , ive had so many problem with them over the last 9 months

anyone that asks me advice about Broadband i tell them never under any circumstances go with IBB even if that is all that is in your area , they are money grabing and don't give a feck about any of there customers

i contacted one of there Business reps who was handling my account from Home and was Basicaly told if i didnt like there service feck off some were else , this coming from one of Business reps tring to get my business in work were we use a 4 MB line and are upgrading to probably a Lease Line due to the traffic we have

again i say this don't touch IBB

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Never underestimate the ability of IBB to Fcuk things up. Not only will your service be worse than dial up, you will likely have a constant battle with them to get it to even approach dialup speeds. Also you have to deal with their legendary rudeness incompetence and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

surely there must be some people out there with a good service from them. and can someone please tell me why their service is poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

blocparty wrote:
    surely there must be some people out there with a good service from them. and can someone please tell me why their service is poor?

reasons why they are poor , they play with the Bandwith , there area of BB are very Overloaded , most of the time i range from 12-20kb/s speed on a 2mb line , with 40-60% package lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jareck

Hi there,

Posted this on the broadband page in askaboutmoney but think it may be better placed here!

I had Irish Broadband Ripwave from Feb '05 until November '05. Like a load of people here it was grand to start with, but then got progressively worse until it was no better than dial up.

So I cancelled my account and that was the end of it.

Until today!

I got a call from their accounts department saying they wanted their modem back, over 6 months after I cancelled my account. I said this to them and they said that a courier had attempted to collect the modem before! - news to me as today was the first time I'd ever been called by IBB!

Since November I have moved so I suggested they try get onto the new occupiers of my old address and see if it's still there.

So my question is twofold:

1. I paid €99 for connection - does anyone know if this fee includes ownership of the modem or does that always stay with IBB and,

2. Am I liable to pay them for replacement of the modem, even though it's more than six months after I cancelled my account, and they haven't contacted me before this to get their modem back?

Any opinions, facts would be hugely appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

as far as i know the modem is theirs for ever just like it is with eircom.

not sure bout the rest though they will prob forget bout it knowing them but im sure there must be someone who can tell you what the situation is regarding the possibility of you having to shell out to replace the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

coming from there former Tech Support team lead i can tell you the modem is the property of IBB for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

blocparty wrote:

I've had IBB Breeze 2MB package since October 2005 and I cant rate them high enough. Installation was quick and painless, service had been perfect and any outages have been planned. I was informed of all well in advance (all were done between 00:00 and 06:00 usually).

throughput and ping rates have been excellent and exceeded my previous providers (Esat, Eircom & Smart).

Billing & invoicing had been spot on with no excess charges or errors (and I d/l a lot so I was expecting something to slapped on me).

One thing to note is that I provided my own router (wrt54g). I'm based on the northside of Cork City in case that matters.

On a side note Eircom has just informed me that my line is now suitabel for DSL. IBB were the only option available to me when I moved into the house. I've looked @ Eircom, Esat, Smart & Perlico (still looking in case you have other suggestions) and none of them can match the package I have for the same money so it looks like I'll be sticking with them for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

just canceled my Ripwave account with IBB could not pay for a service they were not providing, was grand for the first 10months or so but since before Christmas the service was brutal connection kept dropping every few min when i could actually connect, very very poor BB provider! Am now on the look out for a decent BB provider!! so in conclusion IBB suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

OK, so I've become sick of the Ripwave service and am moving to Smart telecom. Can anyone tell me should I just cancel the standing order with my bank or should I be worried about cancelling the account and returning the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

AFAIK IBB still own the ripwave but they arrange for a courier to pick this up or you can return it by registered post to them. I would ring them up though as you need to inform them you wish to cancel your service and then of course you arrange how you will get the ripwave back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

wheatln2 wrote:
    OK, so I've become sick of the Ripwave service and am moving to Smart telecom. Can anyone tell me should I just cancel the standing order with my bank or should I be worried about cancelling the account and returning the modem?
    If you don't cancel the account and return the modem, you'll still be legally liable for the amount that you're being billed.

Cancel it, and they'll arrange to have the modem returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

a bit off topic, but its an interesting article on how networks generally plan for *more* than they need to account for peak usage.

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2006/06/price_whore_you.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I'm having serious problems with my 2mb breeeze connection since the major outage in Bray a few weeks back.
    For some reason only some web sites will load up for me , boards seems to be about the only one that will open for me at the moment , and this varies last night I had no problems at all, yesterday afternoon problems, sometimes I can sign into xbox live and lately most of the time i cannot, IBB told me to be download a little software piece that changes the MTU settings on my PC fromm 1500 to 1470, which i did to no discernible effect, the girl in IBB mistook me for another customer and absolutely ate the head off at first launched striaght into an attack until I managed to point out that I didn't know what she was on about !

What I have noticed is that a .ie site will nearly always open for me , but .com sites or .co.uk's will only open some of the time , and I cannot update windows, however if i use my Nokia as the modem via vodafone, no problems opening any page or using windows update.I know this is not really much to go on but IBB have not really been helpful and at this stage I am so frustrated , would the MTU sttings make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

vasch_ro wrote:
    would the MTU sttings make a difference?
    It did for me. Had problems access gmail.com, dell.ie for example. Changed MTU on router to 1460 and works fine now. Sometimes you have to try different values to find one that works. Prob a good idea to restart after each alteration so be sure it's changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I ordered IBB (Breeze 2Mb) about a month ago. The sales rep replied to each of my emails by ringing me back (generally that day). I got it setup last week (I'm in Swords on an airport mast) and it's flying. The website http://www.irishisptest.com/ constantly reports my link as being about 700Kb but my torrents (if I let them max out, which I don't usually) can go up to approx 220KB. Upload speed can range from about 80KB - 200KB but I don't really care about that. I've no idea what my pings are as I don't care about games and my surfing is fine.
    I read all the negative feedback so I was worried but I was planning on cancelling if they were crap but they've been actually quite efficient for me and the link is good. BTW, I bought my own router so I don't know if that's a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Is anyone doing anything with these complaints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trumps

SkepticOne wrote:
    There seem to be 16 pages of complaints. Without reading them all I would imagine some are just questions, some probably help, but maybe a large majority are genuine complaints of very bad treatment. ? As 'skeptic' rightly said, has anything, will anything be done, or is this purely a 'sounding' or 'letting off steam' thread. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbmkid07

I a not sure why all the negatives, I have a 2mb Breeze service with them and find it excellent. Their helpdesk is really good and hardly ever need more than 2 mins to get through. I would recommend them to anyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cbmkid07 wrote:
    I a not sure why all the negatives, I have a 2mb Breeze service with them and find it excellent. Their helpdesk is really good and hardly ever need more than 2 mins to get through. I would recommend them to anyone.

You should definitely buy a lottery ticket immediately:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbmkid07

Tried that, and still have not come up trumps:) . I suppose its like all providers there are horror stories with them all. Its interesting though how some users get a poor service and others a great one. Its the old saying you can satisfy some of the people some of teh time but not all of the people all of the time.. Anyhow's best of luck with whoever you end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

dub45 wrote:
    You should definitely buy a lottery ticket immediately:)

no need i'd say. i assume he's getting paid by IBB for those statements. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

SkepticOne wrote:

IF you had read the first postings on this thread you would see that I offered to collate the complaints if the required information was sent to be via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

cbmkid07 wrote:
    Tried that, and still have not come up trumps:) . I suppose its like all providers there are horror stories with them all. Its interesting though how some users get a poor service and others a great one. Its the old saying you can satisfy some of the people some of teh time but not all of the people all of the time.. Anyhow's best of luck with whoever you end up with.

If you look at the BB providers Poll sticky you will see that IBB come out the worst by far. There is about 25 happy punters and 50 unhappy. Thats a 1 in 3 change you will get a good connection with them. My brother has a good connection with them only had to get on to the onece. You know what the help desk is like so I assume you have had to ring them at least onece. Ive loged about 30 calls to them I know the number off by heart 1890 564456 press 2 then 1 to get there quicker. Ive a real bad memory and I know that number.

nah if ya dont have a provlem with IBB this thread is not the place for ya. That still leaves 2 thirds of IBBs customers that need to be here and have their say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

If you look at the BB providers Poll sticky you will see that IBB come out the worst by far. There is about 25 happy punters and 50 unhappy. Thats a 1 in 3 change you will get a good connection with them.
    Actually, sorry SpookeyDonkey, but that's not the case at all. If you look at the results of this poll, you will see clearly that Irish Broadband do not in fact come out the worst at all. Looking at the major contenders listed, it is in fact ClearWire who come out worst of all (Albeit perhaps not given as many votes):

BT:
    79/21
    ClearWire:
    1/11
    DigiWeb:
    14/5
    Eircom:
    78/27
    Irish Broadband:
    26/46
    UTV:
    18/18
    I have another provider (please specify) and am happy:
    10/7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Damn!!
    IBB down in the middle of a business day again :(
    This is the 4th time in 2.5 weeks for us to completely lose service from these guys.
    Is their network made up of tins cans and string?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

WizZard wrote:
    No it's wireless, tin cans and sring would be an improvement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

How I chuckled when I read this last week in The Register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/20/gimme_that_old_time_monopoly/

One of their journalists moved from the USA to Dublin and recounts his experience of Irish BroadBand. We all know how it ends, don't we? As has been mentioned on this thread before, "IBB" == "I've Been Buggered".

And as a postscript to my earlier posts on this thread, the useless shower of tossers took an extra month's payment (48.40) from me after I climbed up on my roof to remove their aerial and dropped it into their Cork office in total disgust at the end of January. Four phone calls ("I'll sort it out for you, you should get a cheque next month") and nine months later, nada. This was an improvement, though, at least you could get through to the feckers this year.

Looks like it's time for a paper letter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

WizZard wrote:
    Damn!!
    IBB down in the middle of a business day again :(
    This is the 4th time in 2.5 weeks for us to completely lose service from these guys.

If its down how are you posting:rolleyes:

JK, It was down for me too.I'm not dwelling on it though, I'm switching to UTV 3mb next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Backup DSL connection at work :)
    Automatically fails over - bloody awkward though having 30 people on a 384k up line :(

Advertisement