Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

see this page? ...

https://walledgarden.irishbroadband.ie/suspended.htm

this is what comes up WITHOUT WARNING if you miss ONE payment with IBB.

They cut you off, without warning.

I missed one payment [after over a year as a customer] because my bank account was temporarily empty on the day the direct debit went in. Same day- they cut me off.

I rang up and arranged for them to be paid promptly, but the man insisted my internet wouldnt not be back up and running until they recieved the payment.

They sure know how to treat their customers dont they!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Same thing happened to me last week but as soon as I rang it was switched back on. Later that day I got an automated phone call saying my account was in arrears and my connection MAY be switched off.

Today I got a lovely letter saying my 3MB line was being upgraded to a 4MB at no extra cost.

Just did a speed test on Blacknight............121Kbs.

Guess I'll be spending 20 mins on hold again tomorrow.

fri 24th nov 2006.
    7pm. just got back on IBB after it been down for at least an hour.

monday 27th nov.
    8pm.

ripwave has been on and off [mostly off] numerous times in the last 2 hours. [ballymun mast]

tuesday 28th november 2007 [yes -the next day!]
    9:45pm
    Ripwave down for at least the last hour. Ballymun mast.
    Yes, ive been sitting here for an hour, waiting for my connection so as to check my email. Nice job IBB.

• Advertisement

wednesday 29th.

ripwave down between 7 and 730 [at least]

yep, its getting ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbmkid07

Why are you still posting this, do you not think its time to move on, i know IBB have. They are now a proper ISP with a good service desk and response. Dont get me wrong they still have work to do but so do the rest.

Cbmkid:)

Thaedydal wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3116560#post3116560

I am willing to do this.
    Please include an active email address,
    and but [IBB] in the subject of the post to me at theadydal@eircom.net
    All information will be kept private and once this is over and done with
    scrubbed from my hard drive.

cbmkid07 wrote:
    Why are you still posting this, do you not think its time to move on, i know IBB have. They are now a proper ISP with a good service desk and response. Dont get me wrong they still have work to do but so do the rest.

Cbmkid:)

Firstly, the original post was made a year and a half ago.

Secondly, if IBB provided such a good service, this thread would not have run for 17 pages.

Also, define "proper ISP"

To answer your question, "why are you still posting this?" ... you obviously havent read much of the thread. Did you skip to the last page from the first page?

And your other question, "do you not think its time to move on" .. emm yes.. probably long overdue.. time to move on to a "real ISP" that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Just a question for the people that have bad experience with IBB: is this everywhere IBB has masts? Or maybe only where lots of customers share a mast?

I am asking this because I live near the new Claregalway mast and am was wondering if IBB got their act together. How many outages do they have? (I can live with a couple of hours per month), what is the usual ping time to a couple of major servers? If these are bad only in high density spots like Dublin, I still might consider IBB or is it bad everywhere?

Currently I am with Digiweb. They are incredibly good, fully recommended. But the packages they sell have a download limit which I easily reach and Digiweb does not offer unlimited even for a lot of money (I would be prepared to pay 60 euro, even the 80 euro package has a download limit)
    Another added bonus would be the symmetrical upload speed.

Something else: bulletin boards tend to draw people with complaints, are there any happy IBB customers out there? Especially I like to know about customers of the Claregalway mast, their experience with uptime, ping times and customer service experience. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Claregalway is not oversold (yet) but I would maybe downgrade digiweb to Metro light for €20 a month when your year is up ....and then get breeze for €36 a month so for €56 a month you have two services which means any downtime is most unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbmkid07

womoma wrote:
    Firstly, the original post was made a year and a half ago.

Secondly, if IBB provided such a good service, this thread would not have run for 17 pages.

Also, define "proper ISP"

To answer your question, "why are you still posting this?" ... you obviously havent read much of the thread. Did you skip to the last page from the first page?

And your other question, "do you not think its time to move on" .. emm yes.. probably long overdue.. time to move on to a "real ISP" that is.
    It scares me that you are still with these guys, if they are that bad why are you and most of the rest of these guys still with them. Let me guess its probably the fact you are in a 12 month contract, well if you are and you can prove to them that you are not getting the contended service you signed up for then you can get out of the contract without penalties and move on. I have found them very reasonable to deal with unlike many of the others who will just not listen.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Claregalway is not oversold (yet) but I would maybe downgrade digiweb to Metro light for €20 a month when your year is up ....and then get breeze for €36 a month so for €56 a month you have two services which means any downtime is most unlikely

That sounds like a good option SpongeBob, never occurred to me but indeed it is. If I need the low latency/phone/reliability I could use Digiweb. If I need the downloads I use BBI (if it works :) )

I actually don't know what my contract is with Digiweb, I think it is per month.

That said, I don't want to lose them, even when they charged me for installation and 2 weeks later they skipped that for new customers - I was so happy with broadband after 8 years waiting :) (I could have bought 1M cable 8 years ago in the Netherlands but moved)

Anyway, if anyone could post ping times/outages for BBI for ClareGalway I would be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Wcool wrote:
    are there any happy IBB customers out there?

Yes. Hello.

pete wrote:
    Yes. Hello.

Hiya, great, are you in Dublin or a smaller town/city? I really have the impression it makes a big difference. I don't think it is the backbone or technical problems with the mast, just over subscription and maybe a bad customer service because they are demotivated and not technically apt.

So maybe we can establish were IBB screws up. If it is only in high density areas, they have a chance with me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm in Swords and on the airport mast (I think). I've had few problems in 6 months.
    I think my connection has dropped a couple of times (maybe twice) in six months. That could have been caused by my router though. Either way a router reset got me going again.
    A couple of weeks ago my connection was pretty bad for a Sunday (could only surf certain sites). A fair few people had this problem and they had it fixed by midday.

Other than that no probs. I use P2P a fair bit and I frequently max out my connection. They've been reliable enough that I've sent off my forms to BT to get my phone line disconnected as I've been using Blueface over IBB for about a month now.

I don't know what infrastructure they have at the airport or how congested it is. I can see about 5 other IBB ariels within my immediate vicinity but I don't know if that's busy or not.

One minor gripe is that my 2Mb connection hasn't been upgraded to 3Mb for free yet. Not a big problem for me though and for some reason I'm able to upload at 5Mb.

I've said this before and will repeat it. I think this thread should be unstickied to reflect the overall progress IBB have made in the past year. They are not bad enough _relatively_ to deserve a sticky.

If anyone should have a sticky in here its the recently utterly shambolic NTL and possibly Clearwire as well.

(now to report my own post :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If anyone should have a sticky in here its the recently utterly shambolic NTL and possibly Clearwire as well.

I wholeheartedly agree. Having been totally ignored by NTL for the past month, I have just sent them a letter cancelling my BB account. Which didn't work anyway.
    I've said it before, but there must be a way to collectively let NTL know that people will not stand for being treated in this manner.

Ryaller wrote:
    I've said it before, but there must be a way to collectively let NTL know that people will not stand for being treated in this manner.

This sticky had a wondrous effect on IBB in late 2005 / early 2006 and has now outlived its undoubted usefulness. NTL are the ones who now deserve the Skibbereen Eagle treatment ! .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Unstuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Now...
    How do we go about getting a "collating complaints against NTL" sticky???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Wcool wrote:

Anyway, if anyone could post ping times/outages for BBI for ClareGalway I would be very happy.

I always found ping times on the Claregalway mast higher than I would have expected, here's a quick google ping.

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
    13 packets transmitted, 13 received, 0% packet loss, time 12012ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 98.001/103.786/114.486/5.017 ms

Does not seem to affect me, VoIP is fine, but I don't play games, so maybe this is bad for gamers.

What is weirder, is the ping time from me to the mast.

4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 60.456/107.833/238.843/75.740 ms

That's very high for a one hop. but maybe the ping task in the IBB router is low priority due to CPU constraints or for security reasons.

Anyway, as for outages, there have been a few, almost all were announced in advance & took place in the early hours of the morning. ISTR one unplanned outage, that seemed to affect the whole IBB network.

So far, it's been a good service, there is another upgrade planned, this might be to support the 2 to 3 Mb/s upgrade. Lately, the speedtests are reporting over 2.5 mb/s down, but only 1.5 mb/s up, still pretty good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ryaller wrote:
    Now...
    How do we go about getting a "collating complaints against NTL" sticky???

Somebody has to take up the job of collecting and collating all the complaints and going to NTL with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Any of you guys seen this?
    IrishBroadband DSL
    Interesting, Im guessing this is going to be the same as BT, Smart and the rest just reselling Eircoms connections, pity its not symetrical like Breeze, but this will bring them very close to covering alot if Ireland and it might be an extra bit of competition for some of the others.
    Wonder if you can change our existing wireless to wired connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Any of you guys seen this?
    IrishBroadband DSL
    Interesting, Im guessing this is going to be the same as BT, Smart and the rest just reselling Eircoms connections, pity its not symetrical like Breeze, but this will bring them very close to covering alot if Ireland and it might be an extra bit of competition for some of the others.
    Wonder if you can change our existing wireless to wired connection.

Smart don't resell eircom.

IrishBroadband DSL
    Interesting, Im guessing this is going to be the same as BT

Very Interesting .

The 2 Mbit package is €29 a month as against €30 for a lot of the competition

NO CAP but there is an acceptable usage policy which I assume to be the same as there wireless one. I can see the hogs a twitching already as there is no other allegedly uncapped DSL product on the market for under €30 a month . They even have a 1 mbit allegedly uncapped product for €22 a month.

Nor have they bothered to resell the timed POS. Add in a customer service department that is nowadays in the better half of DSL provider customer service departments and a calls bundle for €10 and it looks pretty decent .

Dare I say I would consider recommending this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Sponge Bob wrote:

Id b careful of that, it defo sounds good,but Im not sure, they hopefully have the support staff to deal with the increase in customers that this will bring. I didnt see the no caps this is V V V V V V INTERESTING (for anyone who torrents of course :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Sponge Bob wrote:

Home Plus has a contention ratio of 48:1 :eek:

Think again Bob

Auvers wrote:
    Home Plus has a contention ratio of 48:1 :eek:

Lil Baby Dude. Every 1mbit DSL package in Ireland has 48:1 contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Lil Baby Dude. Every 1mbit DSL package in Ireland has 48:1 contention.

Thats the 2meg buddy

• Advertisement

Auvers wrote:
    Thats the 2meg buddy

Lil Baby Dude. Every 2mbit DSL package in Ireland has 48:1 contention except maybe the Magnet one .

Advertisement