Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

Sounds like a good plan. However I wont be with IBB for much longer.

If things get better I may come back but I really doubt it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not lobby the Joe Duffy show to do a programme or at least a feature on broadband problems - there's plenty of issues - the line failure issue. ibb and clearwire problems - esat bts billing I am sure they would have loads of material to go on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

peterq wrote:
    the reason I had up-to-then received excellent service was that I had mistakenly been assigned an uncontended connection, and that they had reverted it to the 24:1 CR. When I asked if my current level of service - ie dial-up - was what I could expect in the future he said "unfortunately, yes".

Lots of people seem to have been given an uncontended service at the beginning ....followed by super contended service thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

i've probably rang them 5 times in the past 2 weeks about my crappy dial up like speeds on breeze 2mb. every time i ring they change a few settings, reset my modem and tell me that my connection should improve, which it never has. i'm pretty sick of complaining at this stage. their favourite excuse is that that i'm sharing a line with 700 others so my connection will suffer. then i ask why do they call it a 2mb connection if they know it obviously isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Jeez. I just order BB with IBB yesterday. Now I'm worried :(

I'm in Limerick(just outside) and its a recently enabled exchange. I've signed up for the 2mb up/256 down. I already have a 56k modem so if thats the connection speed I'm gonna get !? :(

Is it a case of everyone is getting crap connection speeds or just a certian number of users ?

Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

brianon wrote:
    Jeez. I just order BB with IBB yesterday. Now I'm worried :(

I'm in Limerick(just outside) and its a recently enabled exchange. I've signed up for the 2mb up/256 down. I already have a 56k modem so if thats the connection speed I'm gonna get !? :(

Is it a case of everyone is getting crap connection speeds or just a certian number of users ?

Brian.
    im also limerick,got westlink,no probs
    checked ibb and digiweb,was no go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Lots of people seem to have been given an uncontended service at the beginning ....followed by super contended service thereafter.

Absolutely. That appears to be what happened to us. We spent the last 6 months of 2005 in an endless round of phone calls and emails etc. to Irish Broadband (and their northern subsidiary). Eventually the engineers came back and moved the aerial to another chimney, gave us a new IP address and said there's your 3Mb upgrade!!! We blocked their van in our drive and insisted that they phone IBB in Dublin to sort it out. After a tense standoff we let them away but needless to say the service has been equally crap as before.

The truly maddening thing is that for the first month or two last year when it was first installed it was actually a pretty good download speed and we were just getting used to it when it all went to the dogs in April 2005.

Is there any movement on a mass protest or are we all just sounding off here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

I know the feeling.

After taking me 1hr 20mins to download a 28meg file from the Hewlett Packard Servers on a 2 meg line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

What's going on im Limerick? Look at this:

limerick.jpg

Thats not normal!! :D

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

brianon wrote:

Just some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I need sum advise, now that Im with Clearwire, I need to find out what are the best software tools / methods etc to accurately measure download / upload speeds and other relevant / useful info. So if there are problems in the future, Ill have a few trump cards (if you know what I mean...). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Inge Binge wrote:
    What's going on im Limerick? Look at this:

limerick.jpg

Thats not normal!! :D

IB
    same here i rang them friday and got through straight away told them sort it out or disconnect me, speed is great today sunday after 3 weeks at dialup speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

stepbar wrote:
    I need sum advise, now that Im with Clearwire, I need to find out what are the best software tools / methods etc to accurately measure download / upload speeds and other relevant / useful info. So if there are problems in the future, Ill have a few trump cards (if you know what I mean...). :D

Any Suggestions??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

BrendanD wrote:
    same here i rang them friday and got through straight away told them sort it out or disconnect me, speed is great today sunday after 3 weeks at dialup speed
    where can you get graph to cneck speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

where can you get graph to cneck speed

The above graph is from www.irishisptest.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

this has to be blatant false advertising:-

taken from http://www.irishbroadband.ie/homeusers/advanced/defined.php

The benefits to using our broadband are:

* No phone line needed - save on line rental
    * Guaranteed speeds of 1Mb and 2Mb
    * Symmetric, high speeds for downloading and uploading
    * Better contention ratios
    * Installation is unobtrusive
    * A competitive monthly flat rate with no nasty billing surprises
    * Unlimited monthly upload and download with No CAPS
    * Always on' connection means no busy signals
    * Unlimited usage, 24-7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Indeed it is False Advertising........I may just have to follow this up

Just wrote a nice mail to the isai..I have emails from irishbroadband proving what they are sayin here is false.... hopefully something will be done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SandroGT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

SandroGT wrote:
    There was a thread about this here a while ago. I went to the consumer's association and gave them my 2 cents. I just got a call from them. They are working with Commreg on this and were asking if I would mind if my contact details were passed to Commreg. Apparently Commreg are going into IBB on Thursday, hopefully to read them the riot act, and may contact some of the people that complained through the CA website.

It looks like there might be some movement.

MrP

• Advertisement

*Update*

Asai got back to me this morning. I showed them all the emails i had to prove the false advertising and they will presue it..

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

MrPudding wrote:
    There was a thread about this here a while ago. I went to the consumer's association and gave them my 2 cents. I just got a call from them. They are working with Commreg on this and were asking if I would mind if my contact details were passed to Commreg. Apparently Commreg are going into IBB on Thursday, hopefully to read them the riot act, and may contact some of the people that complained through the CA website.

It looks like there might be some movement.

MrP

Do you have contact details for whoever is dealing with this in Commreg, they can have my info too.

also Thaedydal who started this thread should have names (including mine) of people likely willing to be put forward (not without their permission of course)

Commreg have not got in touch with me yet. I was just the guy from the CA asking permission for my details to be put forward. I didn't even get his name, I was half asleep and suffering from flu. Apparently they are going to pick a handful from the people that lodged complaints.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

*Update*

Asai got back to me this morning. I showed them all the emails i had to prove the false advertising and they will presue it..

They've already agreed with my complaint, and I see that there was another person who also complained about the same Ad. (there was a ripwave complaint too) I can't post the details as they are confidential until the report is published (later this month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MiaRobbo

The consumer associations magazine has an article based on peoples experience of BB providers, worse off were IBB and BT. I was contacted by them after lodging a complaint on the website. They met with Comreg already and looking forward to seeing what happens after ComReg meets with IBB....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

CAI slams broadband companies

Wednesday, 8th February 2006 12.36pm

The Irish Consumers Association has called for broadband providers in Ireland to offer a better after sales service, following a string of complaints from customers.

The association today slammed the current set-up which has seen callers left on hold for as long as 45 minutes.

"When you look at the number of complaints, it is clear that when it comes to after-sales customer service, emerging telecommunications firms are not exactly blazing trails of quality standard setting," said CAI Chief Executive, Dermott Jewell.

Many users have been left fuming with below-par broadband speeds, billing mistakes or staggeringly poor customer tech and sales support, topping the list of complaints.

The consumer body met the Communications Regulator last week to discuss the matter and to call for these companies to be pressured into offering a better service.

"Telecommunications is a vital service on which many depend and for which they must pay dearly. Considering the unacceptable and increasing number of complaints, regrettably complimented and highlighted by a poor quality of service, it is now necessary that the industry pay compensation for their inefficiencies," Mr Jewell added.

The consumer body, which met the Communications Regulator last week to discuss the matter, said the majority of complaints in this area has been Irish Broadband. Several complaints have also been made about BT Ireland and, to a lesser extent, NTL and Eircom, the CAI said.

"When we consider the extraordinarily high profits being achieved by many firms, not to compensate clearly fuels truth to the allegation that the sector forms part of the 'Rip-Off' element trading in our midst."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You forgot this bit :(

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/press080206.html
    "The CAI has raised its concerns with ComReg at a meeting in CAI HQ on February 7. We provided Commissioner Mike Byrne and his team with examples of some of the complaints received and they have requested that we include the following consumer information in this release."

The same Mike Byrne was the very man who decided that 'Functional Internet Access' at 2.4k was too fast for Eircom so he decided to reduce the definition of 'Functional Internet Access' to 0 k ......back in 2003.

Mike's 'team' referrred to in the press release is the same shower who refuse to do anything unless you complain about 10 times to IBB and then come back to you and say that they can or will do nothing, When the consumers association asks Comreg TO COME OVER they do, then Comreg seem to take the matter seriously and do something about it.

A whole team from Comreg went over to the CAI, did thy not believe what they knew already ?????

Who is regulating IBB, is it Comreg or the more organised and courageous CAI ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Very interesting news. I haven't been following this forum as my stress levels with IBB were affecting my work, sleep, relations with wife and children etc.

However I am setting up an IBB Donegal customers support group with a view to serving them with legal proceedings.

Do the Consumers Association need any more background info on customers experiences?

Keep up the good work.

I received a call from Commreg this afternoon. Before I get to the meat of that I asked if he minded (I forget his name, I am a bit of a muppet sometimes,) if I posted the gist of our conversation on boards. He said he did not mind and in fact they frequent this board themselves.

So to the conversation. He started off by telling me that he had received my details, and those of some other people, from the Consumer's Association. He also told me that they have a good working relationship and meet on a regular basis.

I explained the greatest hits of my issues with IBB and also told him that my connections appears to have been fixed. He will be sending contact details for a number of IBB customers, including myself, to one of the directors of the company and hopes that that person will contact me next week. This is very good news for me as I rang IBB today before this call looking to talk to someone about a refund for my money for the last 5 months as well as compensation for the sh1t customer service have been forced to endure. Hopefully this new development will reduce the stress of this for me.

He mentioned that they are doing this for a number of people and stressed that it was not just IBB.

It looks like poeple are finally starting to listen. Hopefully we will start to see good progress now. I will post updates when I get them.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iaintspecial

Ok after talking to my friend who is a journalist today i can inform all that the Examiner is looking into the whole IBB issue and other broadband companies. I am acting as a go between for the journalist. We have setup an email to handle all complaints. Please include your name,address,telephone number and complaint to the following email address....

broadbandcomplaints@yahoo.co.uk

Any emails sent will be held in confidence and will not be passed to third parties without the express permission of the sender. Please send your mails asap as they are planning to look at this next week. Finally we all will have a voice!!!!

Advertisement