Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ok after talking to my friend who is a journalist today i can inform all that the Examiner is looking into the whole IBB issue and other broadband companies. I am acting as a go between for the journalist. We have setup an email to handle all complaints. Please include your name,address,telephone number and complaint to the following email address....

broadbandcomplaints@yahoo.co.uk

Any emails sent will be held in confidence and will not be passed to third parties without the express permission of the sender. Please send your mails asap as they are planning to look at this next week. Finally we all will have a voice!!!!

Don't take this the wrong way here but we don't know you. You haven't built up a reputation to say that we could trust you with our personal details. There are very few people on the internet that I would be happy to give my phone number to, or address.

It is very irresponsable to ask for personal details, addres,s phone number etc. For all we know, you could be a "bad" person on the look out to do something "bad".

If it's a journo doing a piece for the Examiner, at least give an Examiner email address. Not some throw away email that can't really be traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

IrishTLR wrote:
    Don't take this the wrong way here but we don't know you. You haven't built up a reputation to say that we could trust you with our personal details. There are very few people on the internet that I would be happy to give my phone number to, or address.

Agreed. Smells of fish. Identical message also posted as :

"IBB customer & not happy? READ THIS!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iaintspecial

Thats a fair enough statement. But I am not about to post the journalists personal email here on a public board plus they asked me if i would mind helping them with this after the sheer amount of complaints the saw on here and over on www.irishisptest.com if u feel that it is a scam then by all means dont email. Afterall u cant expect a complaint made to newspaper to be taken seriously unless it can be proven to be legitimate. Like i said in my previous post any information will be treated with the utmost respect. i will ask however if they can arrange an examiner email address. The reason for the yahoo email is because its fast and they are looking at this story for next week

(U think I or the paper will treat u anyworse than IBB??? lol) They have your details and take your money every month with little or no service. My gf is being ripped off by them and i myself am being ripped off by them. I am supposed to be on their breeze 3mbit lite business package. Have had no net for a month!!!! They came with a new aerial set it up and left
    plugged the modem in and guess what it didn't work at all, called tech support numerous occasions. They said the engineers will have to call back. That was a week ago. I am a customer of theirs for 5months now and have never recieved a single invoice. Neither has my gf who lives in Limerick. I am in cork. I for one have given my details. Its only a mobile and address lol not date of birth and bank details. The way i see it if people are afraid to stand up and be counted then this entire thread is a waste of time. Either way I for one will be pushing forward on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

(U think I or the paper will treat u anyworse than IBB??? lol)

*chuckles* I am aware of at least 2 or 3 occasions where IBB sent emails to people with other customers details in them.. So.....

A relatively safe way of doing this, is for the journo to go through a few of the existing threads. Won't take more than 2 or 3 hours. Then he/she can privately PM each customer. Provide a phone number so they can ring her/him.

That's if you can't get an examiner email addy, of course.

If the artical is wanted that badly, they shouldn't mind doing a little bit of homework.

*edit* spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The way i see it if people are afraid to stand up and be counted then this entire thread is a waste of time. Either way I for one will be pushing forward on this.

People HAVE been standing up and getting counted. I figured that the best way for me do it is with IBB directly. Because of my experience with IBB I also do my best to warn other people of problems they might have with IBB. Sending my contact details to a UK Yahoo account hasn't been one of the actions I considered. If the journalist genuinely wants contact details then he/she can get off their ass and setup proper contact channels to make the whole thing seem a bit more legitimate and give people more confidence in the process. Don't forget that many of us have already wasted a lot time and money on IBB.

• Advertisement

I have contacted the journalist and asked for them to get an examiner.ie email account setup (That might take time). Alot seem to take it for granted that just because we all on this board understand broadband terminology that everyone else does too. This journalist is relying on me heavily to help them translate alll the technical details into lay joe public speak. I tried to setup an eircom account but i am on IBB so no access to make one. Yahoo.co.uk is the extension for all mail accounts in Ireland & UK. I want this done quick! that was the reason we went for a fast n easy email account. IBB have me wound up enough without having to deal with this bickering. So please keep your negativity for IBB or call the examiner for yourself and every other newspaper in ireland. At least some of us on this thread are pushing at the various government agencies and newspapers to get something done!

IrishLTR u mentioned that if they want this story bad enough?

I want this story printed....the whole idea of me getting involved with this was to get weight behind it so that a NATIONAL newspaper WOULD publish it. I have read every post in regards IBB and alot of the other isps too on this site. Newspapers dont get technical because the vast majority of our nation are not technically minded. How high a percentage of people actually no what contention rates are? or the difference between adsl and dialup? I am going to have to translate all the complaints that are recieved so that the problems are plain to see. Anyway when i hear back from the journalist i will post updates for those that are interested

thanks spongebob. Have u yourself complained to them? Do you have the name of the person u spoke to in the assocation?? If so can u pm it to me. Everybit of info helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

PM sent

Thanks Bob thats very important info. Have passed it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

2 complaints made to asai about IBB adverts have being upheld full details will be in the next asai bulletin.

Moral victory for consumers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Irish Broadband hires new customer chief (www.aib.ie)
    21/02/2006 10:35:04

Sector: ,Internet/E-Commerce

Irish Broadband today said it had appointed Christina Byrne to head up its customer services division.

The move follows recent criticism of the company from consumer groups over its customer service record.

She joins Irish Broadband from BT Ireland where she held the position of Customer Services Director and has also worked in Creative Labs Limited and Dell.

Neil Parkinson, Chief Executive, Irish Broadband, said the appointment underpins a campaign for more effective and successful customer relationships.

"Due to a huge surge in demand for Irish Broadband's services, there have been some customer service issues, which we recognise. We have already addressed most of these issues and are now looking at enhancing the level of service for all our customers," he said.

"Some customer service issues" LOL.......:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thats good,hopefully a postivie sign of things to come:)

stepbar wrote:
    She joins Irish Broadband from BT Ireland where she held the position of Customer Services Director

And we all know about the legendarily competent BT Customer Service that she Directorimified do we not ????? .

Expect nothing , or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I'm using ripwave for the last 3 months, i purchased the modem/receiver from DID electrical .
    When i first started using it i was getting constant sh*t hot speeds (500k) for about 6 weeks,then it dwindled to about 220k and stayed at that for about 2weeks and then to now.
    Now i get disconnected ,dropped ,nothing.

I think myself looking at my speeds all along (using zdnet bandwith check) that IBB instead of fine tuning transmissions they completely adjust their transmissions to get new or complaining customers connected.
    Also I think personally if I had a breeze connection working fine and then two ripwaves landed either side of me my connection would have to be affected.

I would say that items like the one i have at the moment are the nuisance because you'll never have a good balance of signal if anyone can plonk a ripwave anywhere they like.

I'm not a it or techie ,so if you know what you are talking about excuse the baloney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SandroGT

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We just got RippedoffWave in and its like being on a modem. Not happy.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:
    We just got RippedoffWave in and its like being on a modem. Not happy.

DeV.

Got a nice letter this morning from IBB that i am being brought to court for not paying €75.18 for the ripwave service.

I rang them up must be august to cancel it, they said they will, but still remain to take the money, so i done a DD cancelation from my account in september then now i get this.

"falsifying account information, and failure to pay subscription"

They say its their final notice after constant calls and official letters over the past two months.

Not one call i got, nor letter at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sparky-s wrote:
    Got a nice letter this morning from IBB that i am being brought to court for not paying €75.18 for the ripwave service.

I rang them up must be august to cancel it, they said they will, but still remain to take the money, so i done a DD cancelation from my account in september then now i get this.

"falsifying account information, and failure to pay subscription"

They say its their final notice after constant calls and official letters over the past two months.

Not one call i got, nor letter at all.

You should write back immediately giving full details of your cancellation - copy it to Comreg and the Consumers Association and empahise theirr own 'falsifying product information and failure to provide service' emphasise too that you are aware of their ongoing lamenable failure not only to provide service as per the product description but also their total ineptitude towards their customers as evidenced by the many many posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I got a call on Sunday morning. They are crediting my account with 5 months of charges. My connection has been "fixed" for over 2 weeks now.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

Sparky-s wrote:
    They say its their final notice

just got a "final" notice myself this morning, after trying to cancel last october.
    finally i had to return the ripwave myseld in january to their office in sandyford. which is almost impossible to find!

they're saying i owe them one month cancellation fee even though it's a contract free service?

also saying that i owe them for november service even though it was invoiced on october 25, same day i cancelled the service.

what a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

just got a "final" notice myself this morning, after trying to cancel last october.
    finally i had to return the ripwave myseld in january to their office in sandyford. which is almost impossible to find!

they're saying i owe them one month cancellation fee even though it's a contract free service?

also saying that i owe them for november service even though it was invoiced on october 25, same day i cancelled the service.

what a shower.

Heres my worry, if they send my info to the ICB they will fcuk up my credit rating.

I gave the bank the IBB letter in august but they have no said they cant find it.
    So now i have a feeling IBB are just going to nag me for €75.80.

They say they didnt know i canceled

Sparky-s wrote:
    Heres my worry, if they send my info to the ICB they will fcuk up my credit rating.

I gave the bank the IBB letter in august but they have no said they cant find it.
    So now i have a feeling IBB are just going to nag me for €75.80.

They say they didnt know i canceled
    I doubt they are registered with the ICB.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I doubt they are registered with the ICB.

MrP

They are not , correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

aubhall wrote:
    2 complaints made to asai about IBB adverts have being upheld full details will be in the next asai bulletin.

Moral victory for consumers.....

http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20060222095810

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

believe it or not i got a call from ibb today - and they apologised for the final notice and agreed that i don't in fact owe them anything. i was all ready for a showdown but was quite surprised with how friendly and polite the guy was.

They have a new customer service manager, <edit>Name Removed</edit> (not sure of the spelling of the surname.) He seems quite useful, was very helpful with me.

He has authorised my credit. I still need confirmation that the credit has gone through. I await my next invoice with interest.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I dont think its fair of you to post his name if he was so helpful.

Advertisement