Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about aDSL

Options
  • 20-09-2001 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Hey I have a quick question about aDSL...

Say if I sign up for Eircoms most top i-stream package (with no capping limit, I have been told)...could I use a program on my PC (say like Phonetools by Gateway) to conduct my phone calls through the aDSL line, without being charged?

Just wondering...if anyone has any idea what I'm on about :-P...and has an idea of an answer...please reply ^_^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i dont think so :( but my company has a leased line between monaghan and dublin, and we use this leased line for data and also voice over IP (well, we're suppose to, leased line has not been set up yet but thats the plan). I dont think you can call from an adsl line.

BTW, a little OT, I heard on the radio that eircom and the odtr are very close to settling the conflict about pricing ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

YOu wouldn't be using ADSL per se, but it is and has been possible for a few years to transmit audio calls over IP. Internet Phone was version 5.0 last time I was interested in all that, around 1999.

I remember that you had to sign up for a phone "provider" for around $10/month as well, but you could call normal phones. There is one company that allows you to call US phones for free over the net. They had some advertising before the call connected or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    YOu wouldn't be using ADSL per se, but it is and has been possible for a few years to transmit audio calls over IP. Internet Phone was version 5.0 last time I was interested in all that, around 1999....

Yeah, I remember using another program called Net2phone. It was the same idea - you had a "picture" of a handset on your screen and you dialled the number. You could call a real phone from it and speak using a microphone.

The great advantage was that it was US based, and since internal calls in the US are dirt cheap, it cost very little to call the US and chat for an hour or so. You had to "buy" time before you could use the program, and your balance decreased as you used the service. If I remember correctly, I was taking to people in the States for something like $0.04 a minute, which is around 3p.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

There's another company which allows to call normal phones in Germany for free if you have a broadband connection such as ADSL.

Advertisement