Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you set up a FTP server if your Wireless

• 27-10-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

Hey

Using Bulletproof ftp and Bt Voyager 2100 courtersy of utv

Trying to set up server but no joy

Tried various websites www.portforwarding.com but cannot work it out

anyone got any tips advice

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What problems are you having?

some ISP's might actively block ports that servers use such as 80 for http and 21 for FTP. Check with UTV to see if thats the case.

One of the easist FTP servers is Filezilla. And its free! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cant get users to login or upload files

Went into router and fwd it to port 21 as that is what utv said was the default
    Set up static IP and default dns servers I got from utv

went into website to test it and got

* About to connect() to funk.no-ip.org port 21
    * Trying ... * connected
    * Connected to funk.no-ip.org port 21
    * FTP response reading failed
    * Closing connection #0

Bulletproof is set up under passive mode ip---> dynamic ip

is it the server that is the problem or the router as it seems to connects and then drops??

Cheers

try connecting your BB directly to the machine running FTP server, that way you can rule out the router as the prob if u get the same error. I've never used bullet so can't help u setting it up.

irlrobins wrote:
    try connecting your BB directly to the machine running FTP server, that way you can rule out the router as the prob if u get the same error. I've never used bullet so can't help u setting it up.

There lyes the problem, no phone line so had to use wireless router. previously when I connected BB into PC could set up server no probs.
    Problem started when I went wireless:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

can you get timestamped logs? what's the ping rate like?

• Advertisement

you've lost me.

That router is an ADSL modem+router. So if you don't have a phone line how do u get BB???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

ftp uses two ports - the command port (21), and the data port (usually, but not always, 20). Forward both 20 and 21, and try again.

If it still doesn't work, then it's to do with your server setup, specifically whether you're running active or passive ftp. Google will get you the rest of the way.

Hey

How do I get timestamped Logs ?
    roter is connected to phone line & Pc is in another room that is how I connect
    Will try fwd port 20 also and see if I can set it up, but how do you know which port is the data port ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Short answer - the data port is the one that isn't 21.

Here's a random page about it - there are plenty of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

It sounds like its a software problem with the FTP server more than anything.

If you have another computer on your network, try accessing ftp://XXX.OTHER.COMPUTER'S.NAME.XXX from an ftp client. Failing that, use the PC that the server is running on, and try to access ftp://localhost
    That will let you see if the server program is responding correctly and if it is a comms problem or not.

Best of Luck!
    snappieT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you can use an FTP server with BT Voyager 2100 as I have it. But be sure to disable the router FTP function first as it can interfere with some things

Jakkass wrote:
    you can use an FTP server with BT Voyager 2100 as I have it. But be sure to disable the router FTP function first as it can interfere with some things

how did you go about it & what software do you use ?

i can upload files to servers using flashfxp and smartftp but I cannot set up one myself. Had one then I went wireless and cannot configure it??

How do i disable the routher ftp function ?

Cheers

theres a section for remote access on it and you can disable the FTP used by the router then

Jakkass wrote:
    theres a section for remote access on it and you can disable the FTP used by the router then

went into this under to allow remote access to your computer via and checked the ftp box

Went into http://www.g6ftpserver.com/en/ftptest came up with
    * About to connect() to funk.no-ip.org port 21
    * Trying 194.46.230.***... * connected
    * Connected to funk.no-ip.org (194.46.230.***) port 21
    * FTP response reading failed
    * Closing connection #0

seems to connect then disconnect ???
    then unchecked it and got the same thing ??

how exactly did you set up yours and what software do you use ?

Ta

you wont be able to test it on an external IP address if its on the same LAN as you are on. Just use http://localhost or your lan ip (for other computers) when you want to connect to your own. The external IP will still work for the people who arent on your LAN

Advertisement