Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Router query

• 27-10-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭

I'm setting up a wireless network using a Dlink 624 router.
    I'm wondering what option I need to choose for the WAN ?
    I'm with Eircom
    Dynamic IP Address
    Static IP Address
    or PPPoE
    Do I need to change any of my modem settings (Remove any existing PPOE software installed on my computer )
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'm setting up a wireless network using a Dlink 624 router.
    I'm wondering what option I need to choose for the WAN ?
    I'm with Eircom
    Dynamic IP Address
    Static IP Address
    or PPPoE
    Do I need to change any of my modem settings (Remove any existing PPOE software installed on my computer )
    Cheers

Usually you have to put your modem into bridge mode to pass the signal on to the router. As you are with Eicom it will be ppoe and dynamic address. Have you read your manual for the 624?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

put the modem into bridge mode, do pppoe on the router and remove any software from your pc and you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The router auto detected Dynamic IP addressing and is working fine using that setting.
    Is that wrong ? Do I need to change it to PPOE ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The router auto detected Dynamic IP addressing and is working fine using that setting.
    Is that wrong ? Do I need to change it to PPOE ?

If it ain't broken.................:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I rang Eircom technical support.
    Spoke to an informed guy.
    He said PPOE is only used if the router is connected directly to the telephone line and needs to communicate directly with the server.
    As I have a modem and then router,I must use Dynamic IP addressing.
    So I can leave it as it is.
    I now just put the modem into bridge mode and the router works in PPOE mode so I can use that mode too.
    Which is better I wonder ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement