Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountainboarding

Options
  • 28-10-2005 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I just bought an ATB (mountainboard) for downhill use and also with my power kite on a beach. Looking for a partner in crime to mess around with. anyone have a board or thinking about getting one?

Anyone interested give me a shout.

Mellow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hello, I have a beginner traction kite my self but no mountain board just yet.What part of the country are you from?Im in Cork.The kite I have is an eleo 145 duel line power/traction kite,I try and fly it as often as I can,usually in a field near me or at the beech.I can give u tons of links if ur interested or just google search kiting in ireland and youll be surprised how popular kites really are.
    Tell me about your kite.Most kites suitable for mountainboarding require four lines,two to steer and two are the breaklines.Is this the type you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Would defo be up for a bit of messin about mellow,have the mountainboard but not really gettin much fun out of it as I'm not really in a very hilly area.as soon as I get a kite I'll be all over those beaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mellowyellow

Hi,

I have a 4 line, 3m radsail with a cradle. I'm pretty proficient at the kite. I can do various jumps and have used the kite in force 6. - pretty intense. Broke a string last time out, had to replace a line and still trying to set it up properly again. (stretching is a bitch to predict.)

Based in Dublin, but tend to travel a lot @ weekends for surf.

pm me if youll be around.

Regards,

Mellow.

Its good to see you know your stuff before you got the mountain board for your kite.Whats it like getting lifted off the ground?It hasnt happened to me yet while out flying,I maybe a bit too heavy or the wind is too lite...Ill find out the next dry windy day!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mellowyellow

Best of luck with it, but be warned to take it easy. Believe me when i say that when you f*** up - it hurts!

Let me know how you get on.

Rgds

Mellow

• Advertisement

Got some tax money back last week and ordered a 8 foot flexifoil online,havnt recieved it yet.Went flying in west cork last tuesday and today...not enuff wind to keep me radsail in the air...funny I thought wind was garrenteed at beaches...must of been wrong.Ive added a kit page to me site you can take a look here:http://www.irishextreme.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

Best of luck with it, but be warned to take it easy. Believe me when i say that when you f*** up - it hurts!

Tell me about it. i've got 2 pins and some wire holding my left arm together. decided i'm gonna get http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=7088 this for xmas. the cast comes off on the 19th, so i figure i'm gonna need it pretty soon.
    oh yeah, there was no kite involved, just a hill, and my footwear catchin the wheel while turning toeside.

I just recieved my new kite on friday,its a flexifoil pro team 8.Going to have the first flight on next thursday wind going well...Wish me luck.

I'm not really in a very hilly area.as soon as I get a kite I'll be all over those beaches

paddy, most of our boarding is done on the grassy backs of sand dunes. i think this is a good way to get used to the board, and you can usually find afew short runs in relatively small areas on which to pactice carving and stopping, without gaining so much speed on the way down that ya brain yerself if it all goes pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

paddy, most of our boarding is done on the grassy backs of sand dunes. i think this is a good way to get used to the board, and you can usually find afew short runs in relatively small areas on which to pactice carving and stopping, without gaining so much speed on the way down that ya brain yerself if it all goes pear shaped.

I actually have quite alot of experience on a board and am a confident rider,its just difficult to find areas with decent hills or trails to get some good riding in around me.

with a kite,hopefully this will compensate for hilly areas and will give me some speed on the flat.Hill of tara is a great spot for it as its flat and open.

The original ring fort that was there actually acts as a natural halfpipe,its craz-ay!

• Advertisement

I actually have quite alot of experience on a board and am a confident rider,its just difficult to find areas with decent hills or trails to get some good riding in around me.

I see said the blind man. I'm actually pretty new to it myself, only been at it for about 2 months on borrowed boards, but always happy to try & help my fellow boarders. i'll invest in one myself once i get this bloody plaster off.:p
    travel a lot @ weekends for surf.
    Ever make it to this neck of the woods?

Advertisement