Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate/Semi solid floors - skirting board?

• 28-10-2005 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing the cheap carpet I put in when I bought my home and replacing with laminate or semi solid flooring. I'm OK with the idea of planing down the bottom of the doors to accomodate the extra height, but I don't want to take off the skirting board.

So I thought I'd use moulding tacked to the skirting board to cover where the floor meets the skirting board. The only issue is with the skirting board running vertically at either side of the doors - this has bevelling (right word? it's curved ) all the way to the floor so that if I run the moulding all the way to the end of the skirting then there is a tapering gap behind it. Can any body think of a tidy solution?

Also how can I raise a door saddle by about 3/4 of an inch?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

skirting board running vertically at either side of the doors = architrave .
    An electric reciprocating saw or a tenon hand saw (square saw blade with back of blade reinforced with heavy metal band, saw blade not flexible) is what you want. Cut the bottom of the architrave in sitiu and allow the floor to run under.

Also how can I raise a door saddle by about 3/4 of an inch? If you can get it up in one piece, packing. The width of saddle x1” POA. 1” POA finishes down to 3/4£”.. And the rest will make shed shelve.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

why dont you take off the skirting its a much better and neater looking job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks tapest. Architrave - must remember that. If I run the floor under the architrave, doesn't this mean I'll have to run it under the skirting board too? Must look into getting one of those saws.

ismynametoolong - if I take the skirting off it WILL break. So I'll have to buy more, measure it, cut it, prime it, paint it and put it up. Can't be arsed basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

it wont break if you take it off properaly! Use long flat head screwdrivers to pry it out as well as a claw hammer! I put down laminate flooring at home and removed all the skirting board using this method and did't break a single bit of skirkting board in the process!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

if you are prying skirting board off the wall - a trick is to use a flat piece of timber on the plasterboard so a screwdriver or claw hammer will not mark it.

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

squibs wrote:
    Thanks tapest. Architrave - must remember that. If I run the floor under the architrave, doesn't this mean I'll have to run it under the skirting board too? Must look into getting one of those saws.

Aldi next thursday...3 piece saw set, including the one you want....€10
    Now hows that for timing
    t

D'oh! Missed that! I might rethink taking off the skirting boards I guess. Of course I'm a DIY idiot, so I will end up breaking SOMETHING. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement