Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting walls of an old fireplace

Options
  • 28-10-2005 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I recently cleared out an old fireplace and have swept the chimney. I would like to paint the fireplace walls white but have been warned that walls that have been sooty tend to stain as the soot soaks through.

Should I forget painting or is there a special lining paint I can get to do the job right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi chabsey,

Mad -M may have info on a proper primer, I can understand why the soot would be drawn through the paint even though the surface may look clean.

Presuming you have taken out the fire back it might be an easier option to use a plaster board fixed to the walls as that will give you a seperate surface to the original wall, it could be an ideal surface for the plaster in a tub that has been posted about recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well as long as its going to be a showcase fireplace and no actual fire lite,then only last week I painted a coal house with a lot of coal soot.I actually gave it a good sweep but you could sort of get the hoover going in fire to get rid of excess soot.

Then all I did was poly-bond the walls or in your case the bricks then paint away.I actually remember though I put a paint that Dulux have called "All Seasons". This stuff dries in twenty minutes and has great coverage but has a vapour that would wake up a boxer who was knocked out......

If you are in Dublin chabsey I could get you a half a can of the stuff saving you buying a full gallon....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just an update on the paint for soot.I was using this paint called Classidur its a swiss made paint which only has recently been introduced in Ireland.Used it this weekend and reading on can its designed for stains and most of all soot.Its waterbased and practically odourless.

http://www.ptarmigan.ie/news.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Solutions

Classidur paints are water based or solvent based and odourless - excellent product for painting directly over nicotine and dry water stains. Fire damage, just brush off the loose soot deposits and apply the paint. Expensive, but covered in 1 coat, so saved me so much time...

Advertisement