Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vat and the uk

Options
  • 28-10-2005 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

If i provide a service to a client in the uk

Do i change him vat? someone mentioned that it was a case of 'reversed vat' or something but i cant find reference to it anywhere on revenue.ie

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You do not charge Vat to UK VAT REGISTERED persons.

Double taxation Agreement.

However you are required to take details of the buyers UK Vat No. and details as the Revenue will send you out a VIES Form to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

kluivert wrote:
    You do not charge Vat to UK VAT REGISTERED persons.

Double taxation Agreement.

However you are required to take details of the buyers UK Vat No. and details as the Revenue will send you out a VIES Form to fill out.

Tnx

supposedly VIES Forms do not have to be filled out for the provision of services ... not yet anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is probably correct, but it actually depends on the nature of service being provided, and where it is provided. VAT is payable on hairdressing services (for example) whether the transaction is transnational between VAT registrants or not. There are also issues relating to where the service is provided.

In practice, this sort of stuff won't make much difference to you, but if you are talking about a significant amount of money, it might be worth investigating this more to make sure you are on the right side of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If i provide a service to a client in the uk

Do i change him vat? someone mentioned that it was a case of 'reversed vat' or something but i cant find reference to it anywhere on revenue.ie

Tnx

Hi chico,

It really depends on the service and where its provided.

It might fall under "Fourth schedule Services" in which case VAT may be chargeable.

PM if you need any further help.

Keyser.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

Not sure what service you are supplying but you might find the following link of some use, it relates to E-Services
    http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/e-Info_3.doc

Also check out - http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/info9_01.pdf

Check out the appendix at the back, quite good reference.

Additionally EU Commission has proposed changes to taxation rules for services supplied to private consumers (B2C) – detailed in info leaflet no 3. Proposal made in July this year but not passed as far as I know yet.

The proposal aims to ensure that VAT accrues to the Member State of consumption, eliminate any problems of distortions of competition and ease the VAT burden for traders by streamlining the current rules as between services provided B2B and those provided B2C.

• Advertisement
Advertisement