Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT BB + Zyxel Router Prestige 623 + BitTorrent = :-( ?

• 28-10-2005 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello!

I've got Esat BT BB and the following problem:

When I'm downloading stuff with BitTorrent (of course only the latest Linux builds ;)) my modem/router (Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1) freezes after approx. 4 hours and I have to power cycle it in order that I get a connection again.
    The DSL LED stays bright when the modem "freezes", only the ACT LED is dark.

I am using the Zyxel as a bridge, hooked up to my Apple Airport Extreme BaseStation (which is basically a WLAN router).

I have tried to set the connection limit to 5 slots (instead of the default 40), but still same issue.

Does anyone have the same prob or has a clue about that?

Thanks in advance,
    Yogi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

never had one problem with my Zyxel Prestige modem, nor with BT for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I had problems with the 623 myself - mostly caused by what I can only attribute to overheating.
    Powercycling seemed to work temporarily, but as it was on 24/7 it was always going to get warm again anyway.
    My solution was to let it cool down by leaving it off for 2 nights a week.
    Make sure it's vents aren't being blocked - and leave it off for at LEAST 1 night a week (again - 2 nights was perfect for me) and you'll probably notice a huge difference.

That said, Torrents caused problems on it quite a bit, I think there was a problem with the number of connections that it was trying to make and it promptly threw a hissy fit and cried in the corner until I stopped torrenting.

Either way, I swapped over to a Linksys WAG54GS and never looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

I finally decided to kick the Zyxel in the bin - got meself a D-Link 360 ADSL modem from eBay - 10 Bucks :D
    I have read good reviews about it in the net.
    Does anyone in this forum have first-hand experience with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

brilliant idea I kicked my prestige in the bin a long time ago for a wireless router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have had only a few minor issues with mine, but for the most part it all works perfectly. Here is the setup that I have.

Phoneline
    Zyxel Prestige 660RU-T1
    NetGear WPN824

The modem works as a router PPPoE connection and it supplies the NetGear wireless router with an IP (172.x.y.z). The netgear device also acts as a router and supplies all the PC's in my LAN with an IP (192.168.x.y).

It all works fine. The only think that I noticed is that it takes ages for the DSL connection to come online.

I power on the modem and the router. After the modem powers up the Pwr/sys light comes on green and the 10/100 light comes on orange. Then after a few seconds, sometimes a minute, the DSL light starts flashing. It usualy comes on steady after 1 or 2 minutes and then after a few seconds the PPP light comes on. Recently the PPP light stays off but the internet will be working. Is it just the modem or is it the phone line. Once the broadband comes online it works perfectly and without any problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement