Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could anyone with BT BB+ check this?

• 28-10-2005 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

I have BT broadband Plus and have trouble connecting to certain sites. I've started to compile a list of the sites that don't work. So far I have

www.adobe.com
    www.adobe.de
    www.techwarelabs.com
    www.rottentomatoes.com
    www.fivestardvd.com
    www.toolhaus.org
    www.todayfm.com

plus there have been loads more that I haven't written down. I'm using the DNS servers 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241 which should be correct.

Could anyone using BT check if these sites work for you? If they do work, is there any reason why they wouldn't work for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

all working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What DNS servers are you using?

And for some reason, they're now working for me too. But they weren't working up to half an hour ago :confused: Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

on an off topic note, somebody mentioned before that eircom's dns is faster than BT's. Is it true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the DNS list might had been updating for them??

• Advertisement

I'm on BT BB plus and I cant even get to google at the moment.

No U.S sites are working either for either upload or download.

Boards.ie is working-its the only one working except for eircom that I've tried so far.

I cant even get onto the BT Ireland site:rolleyes:

Wonder whats wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Earthman wrote:
    Wonder whats wrong?
    The War Of The DNS has begun the US has stuck to it's preemptive strategy and has blocked of all non-US traffic......Let the games begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

All working fine here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

somebody mentioned before that eircom's dns is faster than BT's. Is it true?

Kinda, But no! The Eircom DNS servers seem to update more regularly than the BT ones, Ive gone throguh a cpl of DNS changes over lst cpl of wks and during the wait time for DNS population eircom customers were always able to connect to my sites b4 BT ones were

Seems to have been McAffee Firewall blocking them on mine. I've set the security to low and all works. When I set it to standard, they don't work.

Not sure why it would be blocking so many sites though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I'm on BT BB+ also and I CONSTANTLY get an error saying, "The connection was refused when attempting to connect to...." when I try to access certain sites. Actually I should say its not certain sites, its completely random.

For instance, I could try "boards.ie" and I will get an error. I will try again and get an error. I will try again and it will work. This seems to be happening ALL the time. It's very frustrating because when you search google and click on one of the results, you never know whether the site is offline or whether the bloody BT connection is acting up. You just have to try a few times and see if it works. Other days the same sites will come up straight away.

Any ideas? Not sure what DNS etc I'm using. Whatever is default I guess. I'm on a wireless router. Would that have anything to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

boards.ie does have some downtime sometimes at night

Any ideas? Not sure what DNS etc I'm using. Whatever is default I guess. I'm on a wireless router. Would that have anything to do with it?
    If you're computer is far from the router, or there's a big thick concrete wall in between, then maybe. What's your signal strength like? If it's very poor then it could be the cause. It's more likely to be congestion though.

Check your connection speed on www.irishisptest.com/myspeed both when it's good and when some sites stop working, just to see if there's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I'll certainly try the speed test thingy and see what happens. My laptop is no more than 20ft away from the router. It's a timber frame apartment and I always have 'excellent' signal strength.

The reason it bothers me is that the errors seem to be popping up almost immediately. In other words, its not a case of 'timed out' errors where I could put it down to wireless signal failure. It just seems to be deciding straight away that its not going to let me connect to that particular site. It's like I'm being blocked. Every time I click on a link it will pop up with this error. I just keep clicking and eventually it connects through; fourth, fifth sixth time.....

Very frustrating :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 budrick

hey ,buttermilkjack, from the sound of things it appears to be a firewall problem,what one r you using ? you can set it so that it allows specific websites to load or do you have that option?

Advertisement