Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help!!!

• 28-10-2005 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, I've windows 98 and about a month ago, microsoft chat started popping up whenever I log in. A week ago it started starting up twice, this is REALLY annoying, as I have NEVER used it before. There are 4 users on this computer, and when one person logs in it's alright, just not for everyone else. I'd really appreciate some help on this, as It's wrecking my head! I use zone alarm by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

autoruns www.sysinternals.com will tell you where it is starting from

did someone add it to the startup group ?

are you on a small network - if so then it's common to use chat with 89 pc's and someone may have set it up for up

unless you use profiles in 98 all users share the same settings (much easier to admin that way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 j1892

Nope, not in the startup group, and its not on a network. I went to that site but it apparently doesn't cover windows 98. Will it work anyway? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

I came across this before I removed a program but it didn't clear the icon from the startup group, when the link doesn't work it goes looking for the nearest match which was MS Chat. Go through the links for all the shortcuts in the Startup group and you should find that one of the programs shortcuts points to it.

If not go 'start->Run' type 'regedit' and search for RunOnce, when it finds it there'll be folder underneath called Run and in there a load of links saying what to run at startup

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Turlock wrote:
    If not go 'start->Run' type 'regedit' and search for RunOnce, when it finds it there'll be folder underneath called Run and in there a load of links saying what to run at startup
    Make a backup of the reg first
    into Command prompt and
    CD \windows (if not already in windows folder)
    Xcopy *.da? BAK\*.* /h /r

the old version of autruns used to run on 98, haven't tried the current version on it yet

runonce - only runs once - you can ignore it
    look at the other run keys nearby

Advertisement