Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread locking in personal issues.

Options
  • 28-10-2005 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I posted a thread this morning, looking for advice RE: the treatment of tinnitus. It is a problem that my mother has had for an extended period of time now and causes her major discomfort.

I asked other board members if they could give advice on this matter.

Mod locked the thread saying it wasn't a medical board and that the board couldn't give advice on medical issues.

Here's fact number 1: I never asked for medical advice. I said that accupuncture had been suggested to me by one of my friends. This would hardly be a doctors advice and would be more along the lines of alt. medicines

2. I agree, the board members aren't doctors. We're also not psychiatrists, counsellors, sex therapists etc etc. How can we be allowed to give advice to people who are suicidal, on the verge of breakdowns, clinically depressed and in need of other forms of professional help.

There seems to be dual standards in place here and IMHO I think the closing of my thread is unjust.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Giving medical advice or asking for advice on a medical condition is specifically against the charter because it could lands boards in a whole pile of ****.

This is the second time you've posted a grievance on Feedback caused by your failure to read the charters before you posted in the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There is a difference between giving someone moral support for an emotional problem, and advice on how to treat the symptoms of a medical condition. If you were given bad advice and took it, boards.ie may be legally responsible. It's a privately owned website, and the owners do *not* want a law suit.

No-one is out to get you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What seamus said.

Also posting the same thread again on PI after the previous one had been locked wasn't a good idea.

Oh and asking for "advice RE: the treatment of tinnitus" is asking for medical advice. I can't fathom what planet you live on if you think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

seamus wrote:
    Giving medical advice or asking for advice on a medical condition is specifically against the charter because it could lands boards in a whole pile of ****.

This is the second time you've posted a grievance on Feedback caused by your failure to read the charters before you posted in the forums.

If you read the personal issues forum there are numerous posts relating to medical issues everyday! Fact.

Should i go on the pill?

I think I have an STD!

What should i do before i have sex with this guy?

Havn't seen any of these issues locked.

Your remark on me not reading the charter is also assumed rather than having any basis in fact. I'm not going to quote the charter as doing so is against boards.ie rules. I may be wrong on this one, but i don't remember any part of the charter saying that questions pertaining to medical issues *cannot* be discussed in that particular forum.

Again correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt the charter encourage people to post for advice from other board members. I think the phrase "feel free" might be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I have to agree somewhat with "The Troll" here.
    He wanted to hear from others if they've heard of treatment and other peoples experiences.
    I dont see why his post got locked so quickly (without warning.. he could have been given a chance to explain further), but many others roam free.
    Perhaps you've a bad username...

(Dont agree on opening 2nd thread on PI though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The Troll wrote:
    I may be wrong on this one, but i don't remember any part of the charter saying that questions pertaining to medical issues *cannot* be discussed in that particular forum.
    So you haven't read the charter, well done troll.

The Troll wrote:
    If you read the personal issues forum there are numerous posts relating to medical issues everyday! Fact.

Should i go on the pill?

I think I have an STD!

Havn't seen any of these issues locked.
    Link with examples please. Putting "Fact" all in its own fancy sentence doesn't make it so. The first two of yours, will depend on circumstances. The last STD thread *was* locked. The third thread again would depend on circumstances.
    I'm not going to quote the charter as doing so is against boards.ie rules.
    No it's not.
    I may be wrong on this one, but i don't remember any part of the charter saying that questions pertaining to medical issues *cannot* be discussed in that particular forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94275

Ok well i'm going to break the rules here, apologies in advance. This is taken directly from the charter. This is being posted to prove my innocence on this matter:

feel free to post up problems as people may have personal experience, but don't expect miracle cures.
    Only post on this forum if you have an actual problem, the more detail you give, the more accurate the advice will be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

you were looking for "treatment of tinnitus"

that is asking for medical advise
    if you read the charter properly, you would know that isn't allowed.

Should i go on the pill?

show me the link to that thread

I think I have an STD!

I have locked threads on this and told the poster to see a doctor.

how is that asking for medical advice?
    also,
    show me the link to that thread?

• Advertisement

The Troll wrote:
    Ok well i'm going to break the rules here, apologies in advance. This is taken directly from the charter. This is being posted to prove my innocence on this matter:

perhaps, you also didn't bother to read the sticky posted up by this boards Admin
    DeVore wrote:
    Guys and gals, I'm glad this board seems to help people who want to get a head-check or whatever but we are NOT licensed to give ANYONE medical advice and with the number of jokers round these parts you shouldnt take any medical advice on this board without checking with your personal GP first.

If you have a specific medical question like "X is wrong with me, what should I do" then take it to a doctor or free medical advice clinic. If you want to ask "I have X wrong with me, anyone else share this?" to find people who might be having the same problem as you, thats fine.

Please please please do NOT GIVE medical advice out on these boards, no matter how well intentioned you could put the entire admin team in jail :)

DeV.

Beruthiel wrote:
    you were looking for "treatment of tinnitus"

that is asking for medical advise
    if you read the charter properly, you would know that isn't allowed.

Should i go on the pill?

show me the link to that thread

I think I have an STD!

I have locked threads on this and told the poster to see a doctor.

how is that asking for medical advice?
    also,
    show me the link to that thread?

They were generalised examples.

A person asking for advice on things to before having sex for the first time should consult an expert, be it a sex therapist or a doctor. Both could give sound advice on the matter.

You'll say that board members can give advice on it from experience.

Therefore, why can't board members give advice on tinnitus?

Beruthiel wrote:
    perhaps, you also didn't bother to read the sticky posted up by this boards Admin

Perhaps the first sticky needs editing then. Seems to be a contradiction between one sticky and the other.

The Troll wrote:
    Perhaps the first sticky needs editing then. Seems to be a contradiction between one sticky and the other.
    Hardly an excuse. If you have half a brain you can see the point.

Seeing as they were generalised examples, you can't really make any points with them. Give actual examples, and why they breach the charter, and make your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ooh, look. Another day ending in y.

Basically, you yet again failed to read the charter and have come to have a moan. Seldom was a username more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You asked for advice on the treatment/treatments of a medical condition.

Giving such advice is explicitly banned on the PI forum, and therefore threads asking for advice are summarily locked to prevent potentially inaccurate advice being given.

Read the charters and the rules before you post, this will help you in future.

In future I would advise asking yourself the following questions before posting:
    • Is what I'm about to post against the forum charter?
    • If not explicitly defined in the charter does it contravene sitewide boards.ie rules?
    • Am I reposting something that just got locked?
    • Is my question already answered in another thread?
    • Can I prove that the universe is expanding with only a slide rule?

If the answers to any of these questions is no, then I would advise you not to post.

seamus wrote:
    Hardly an excuse.

Yeah no excuse. Two conflicting stickies. Don't know how that could ever be seen viewed as an excuse. One moderators sticky says by all means go ahead and do it.

The other says no you cant do it.

If you had half a brain you'd see a perfectly valiud excuse.

The Troll wrote:
    They were generalised examples

then of no use whatsoever

A person asking for advice on things to before having sex for the first time should consult an expert, be it a sex therapist or a doctor.

is that what you'll be doing when you grow up? :/

WizZard wrote:
    You asked for advice on the treatment/treatments of a medical condition.

Giving such advice is explicitly banned on the PI forum, and therefore threads asking for advice are summarily locked to prevent potentially inaccurate advice being given.

Read the charters and the rules before you post, this will help you in future.

In future I would advise asking the following questions before posting:
    • Is what I'm about to post against the forum charter?
    • If not explicitly defined in the charter does it contravene sitewide boards.ie rules?
    • Am I reposting something that just got locked?
    • Is my question already answered in another thread?
    • Can I prove that the universe is expanding with only a slide rule?

Is the answers to any of these questions is no, then I would advise you not to post.

I understand now that this is correct. Ovbiously, the issue i was raising was a personal one and wasn't intended to flame/insult/have any other negative affect.

unfortunately, i had read the sticky that condoned the posting of threads relating to medical issues in the hope of receiving advice from other board members who have had experience with the same issue.

This sticky is obviously outdated and needs amending.

Beruthiel wrote:

A person asking for advice on things to before having sex for the first time should consult an expert, be it a sex therapist or a doctor.

is that what you'll be doing when you grow up? :/

That will be my quote of the week. Pointing out an assumed lack of maturity through blatant immaturity. Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Troll wrote:
    That will be my quote of the week. Pointing out an assumed lack of maturity through blatant immaturity. Bravo.

Oh dear!

The Troll wrote:
    That will be my quote of the week. Pointing out an assumed lack of maturity through blatant immaturity

Au Contraire
    it is a very valid question,
    how many people do you think go to a sex therapist before having sex for the first time????

dudara wrote:
    Oh dear!

I know
    the ironing!!

Au Contraire
    it is a very valid question,

A valid question if your assumption was correct. Therefore, invalid garbage.

how many people do you think go to a sex therapist before having sex for the first time????

How many people do you think go to a counsellor when they're depressed or suicidal????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We do not want boards to be sued into a big crater in the ground.

The rule is based on that.

It will continue to be enforced.

Anyway, I could continue with this crap all day. Enough is enough. I only posted to get help for my mum cos I feel sorry that she has to deal with such a crippling affliction and I get depressed as a result of her having to suffer. It was never intended to instigate this ridiculous flaming war.

Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The Troll wrote:
    How many people do you think go to a counsellor when they're depressed or suicidal????
    How many stars in the sky?

Troll, you are not arguing a point here, you are simply rebutting the posts of other, who are offering valid advice and reasons to you, with inconsequential bull.

And in answer to your question above, when someone is feeling depressed simply talking about their problems can give a kind of release, whether it be on an internet forum such as PI, or to a registered counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

/me waits patiently for RopeDrink's post blasting this being out of the virtual water.

Actually, I think the better way to phrase it is - "Do you actually think it's necessary for someone to go to a sex therapist before having sex for the first time?"

Basically, the way it is, boards.ie is not licensed to give out medical advice. If it did, it would find itself in a whole pile of ****. That's for specific advice. If someone came on asking "I have clinical depression, what do I do?" the thread would similarly be locked.

Then you have the threads in the grey area. Someone coming on saying "My eye hurts and my nose is half hanging off", isn't looking for specific medical advice, though the issue is clearly medical. However, someone who says, "I find myself feeling lazy and generally unhappy all the time. I can seem to find the energy to do things", doesn't have a specific medical issue, nor is the issue obvious. The moderators will still give cautions to people telling them to take drugs a, b & c, but the thread won't be locked because any advice given could a) be valid and b) be useful.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:

Then you have the threads in the grey area. Someone coming on saying "My eye hurts and my nose is half hanging off", isn't looking for specific medical advice, though the issue is clearly medical. However, someone who says, "I find myself feeling lazy and generally unhappy all the time. I can seem to find the energy to do things", doesn't have a specific medical issue, nor is the issue obvious. The moderators will still give cautions to people telling them to take drugs a, b & c, but the thread won't be locked because any advice given could a) be valid and b) be useful.

I understand this now. In fairness, I had read sticky 1 and not sticky 2. Perhaps, sticky 1 should be amended to take out the misleading part I quoted.

I fully understand now the legal implications of allowing discussions relating to medical issues and problems that could arise should any misleading advice be given.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, as it was a genuine, unintended mistake on my behalf.

"My eye hurts and my nose is half hanging off",

When did Michael Jackson join boards.ie?

Advertisement