Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread locking in personal issues.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'd agree that if one took that precise phrase you quoted, Troll, the semantics of it do lead to a slight ambiguity. However, concerning the "this is not a medical board" line previous to it and the blatant sticky by DeVore explaining what has been explained here - it's saddening that people aren't reading them. The best thread to give an example of what the charter states is the Crohns disease thread. This, in my eyes, is a thread that embodies the 'legalites' of the charter in the phrase that you quoted. It is a thread in which sufferers of Crohns disease talk about their relations to it, and even organise meetings through boards.

Next time PM the mod that closed your thread if you have issues with their decision, that goes for the whole of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The Troll wrote:
    Doing exactly what it says on the tin

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

amp wrote:

:confused:

:mad:

:rolleyes:

:(

:cool:

:o

:)

its the eight stages of acceptance that people go through when they start to fight the system

1) surprise!

2)confusion????

3)TEH ANGAR!

4)cynisism - yeah, really?

5)unhappiness - general unfairness in life

6)apathy - perceived....

7)embarassed acceptance

8)happiness because 6 months down the line, they now know all the admins by name, and have been spoken to personally by ecksor.

also works for divorce cases.
    with the exception that ecksor normally isnt involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Circle of Life, WWM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Must resist urge to lock thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

A person asking for advice on things to before having sex for the first time should consult an expert, be it a sex therapist or a doctor.

is that what you'll be doing when you grow up? :/
    Quote:

"My eye hurts and my nose is half hanging off",

When did Michael Jackson join boards.ie?

Can someone move this to the humour forum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Potm Wwm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

YaaP RB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Troll wrote:
    Perhaps the first sticky needs editing then. Seems to be a contradiction between one sticky and the other.
    The sticky doesn't "condone" the seeking of medical advice. It doesn't self-contradict, it's just not clear enough specifically for you when you're specifically quoting bits of it. Charter says "feel free to post about problems", later says "not a medical board, no looking for medical advice". One's a general rule and the other's a specific prohibition that overrides the general rule where it applies. It's rather clear unless you're the sort that tries hard to be a finicky hoore. Don't be a finicky hoore. I'm a finicky hoore, though I try hard not to be one day at a time. I'd recommend that method, though obviously that isn't a medical opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

and have been spoken to personally by ecksor.
    This really happens?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WizZard wrote:
    This really happens?? :eek:
    Occasionally, the admins will assume corporeal form to ingest alcohol or help the kiddies. It is a hallowed event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had tinnitus...

guess what?

I went to my GP and got medication that cleared it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The Troll wrote:
    I asked other board members if they could give advice on this matter......

Why though? I mean I just googled tinitus there and got about 2,290,000, the first five being:

American Tinnitus Association
    Tinnitus FAQ
    British Tinnitus Association
    Tinnitus Home Page
    MedlinePlus: Tinnitus

Why would you need to ask on boards about it with such a massive amount of info out there already?
    The Troll wrote:
    I only posted to get help for my mum cos I feel sorry that she has to deal with such a crippling affliction and I get depressed as a result of her having to suffer.

Talk about melo drama, it's only ringing ears. Nothing fatal! Unless of course she fails to hear an oncoming bus and steps out in front of it due to ringing ears. Then that could be a problem alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Talk about melo drama, it's only ringing ears. Nothing fatal! Unless of course she fails to hear an oncoming bus and steps out in front of it due to ringing ears. Then that could be a problem alright.
    That's a little unfair... when I had mine it disturbed my sleep paterns and affected my mood greatly... luckily mine was treatable... but generally it can be permenant...

But this doesn't change the fact that YOU SHOULD TALK TO A GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Troll wrote:
    I posted a thread this morning, looking for advice RE: the treatment of tinnitus. It is a problem that my mother has had for an extended period of time now and causes her major discomfort.

I asked other board members if they could give advice on this matter.

Mod locked the thread saying it wasn't a medical board and that the board couldn't give advice on medical issues.
    I had just seen this and had come into feedback to post about it, but you've beaten me to it dude!

IMHO, boards.ie is now running the risk of becoming a self-serving irrelevance.

Between the recent loss of new-post browsing and certain mods standing like the garda who has the unfortunate duty of policing the junction box at Fairview during rush hour, I find the whole boards.ie experience is becomingly increasingly depressing these days.

I don’t visit half as much as I used to and judging by the amounts of new posts in threads, neither do others.

While I do agree that there does need to be policing by mods to limit the legal exposure of boards.ie to defamation/libel actions, I think the locking of your thread was very, very poor judgement.

I’ve suffered from tinnetus for the past four years brought on by a serious ear-infection. There are several vitamin and alternative remedies I use to minimise its effect in my daily life that I think would have been beneficial to your Mother. All these are available over the counter at your local pharmacist without prescription.

Why your thread was locked I really don’t know. Your mother won’t be able to access any potentially damaging medication unless prescribed so by a GP.

Maybe the catch phrase of boards should be changed to “ ‘now yer talkin’… but only while a mod allows you to’.

Why your thread was locked I really don’t know.
    Try reading this thread, it gives a pretty good explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The issue isn't really about medical advice, but wrong medical advice which can result in harm to a person and hence leave boards.ie medicolegally liable. Can a solicitor member of boards reference if a website has been sued for incorrect information ever before?

The issue is if someone makes a inappropriate diagnosis or recommends an incorrect medical therapy - which cannot be determined from the small amount of information in the original post or the lack of expertise of the respondents.

Talking in general about medical issues and how they are diagnosed and treated are more than welcome and it subtly different from diagnosis in a specific incident.

Here is a classic example: OP - how do you KNOW your mum has tinnitus? Who made the diagnosis?

DrIndy wrote:
    The issue isn't really about medical advice, but wrong medical advice which can result in harm to a person and hence leave boards.ie medicolegally liable.
    On that basis, if someone gives me unsound medical advice down the pub tonight, then I can sue the publican?

I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

Let's just presume that we're all adults here for a second. Now, I know if I have a serious medical issue then I'll head straight off to my GP with my cheque-book in hand.

For lesser, niggling stuff, I might consult the web.

As for someone advising an incorrect therapy, well, anything taken in sufficient quantities can kill you, even water or Vitamin C.
    DrIndy wrote:
    The issue is if someone makes a inappropriate diagnosis or recommends an incorrect medical therapy - which cannot be determined from the small amount of information in the original post or the lack of expertise of the respondents.
    In that case they better close down the "Personal Issues" forum. There's plenty of advice being given there by people who aren't qualified counsellors or psychotherapists.

What ever happened to common sense? Are we all so law-shy now that we're afraid to say anything to anyone in a public forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

On that basis, if someone gives me unsound medical advice down the pub tonight, then I can sue the publican?

You are, characteristically, talking out of your ass once again DublinWriter.
    Boards.ie is legally classified as a publication under Irish law, which means that it would be "printing" advice of dubious reliability.

It is nothing like "going down the pub".
    Let's just presume that we're all adults here for a second.

Second massive mistake in one post. Why presume based on blatant untruths?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Against such a large amount of evidence to the contrary?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you get really drunk in a pub and go out and get yourself knocked down,you can sue.
    If you hold a house party and likewise happens with somebody going out and getting injured,you can be sued.
    Although it's the other persons fault,you are liable.
    The Law sometimes sucks and there are riiculous cases I have come accross,boards would be liable.Why should they risk being sued.

OK DublinWriter, lets do that.

The current legal environment concerning bulletin boards is in some ways a grey area: such that what is printed on said bulletin boards are the ownership of stated bulletin boards. As I say, it's a little grey right now but we (as in we the mods, and we the mods of PI) have to be sure that whatever is printed on PI and on boards is not going to get boards.ie into trouble in any way shape or form. Boards.ie being a privately owned website 'n all.

What would you like us to do DublinWriter? Seriously. Would you like us to start prescribing over the counter medicine? would you like us to offer our advice on which course of antibiotics to take?

Please, share your wisdom with us and lets make this bulletin board the best possible bulletin board (all seen in the best possible taste / everett).

Ta

CuLT wrote:
    You are, characteristically, talking out of your ass once again DublinWriter.?
    Typical mod, I'd be banned for saying that.
    CuLT wrote:
    Boards.ie is legally classified as a publication under Irish law,
    Really? By which piece of Irish legislation and/or legal precedent exactly?

Gordon wrote:
    The current legal environment concerning bulletin boards is in some ways a grey area:
    Yes, you're right, it's a huge grey area.
    Gordon wrote:
    What would you like us to do DublinWriter? Seriously. Would you like us to start prescribing over the counter medicine? would you like us to offer our advice on which course of antibiotics to take?
    Seriously, you can't get antibiotics without a prescription from a GP (this is soon to be changed, Nurses will be able to prescribe them in 2006 BTW).

As for taking OTC stuff, as I said, you can actually OD and kill yourself on just water if you drink enough of it in a 12-hour period.

As I stated in a previous post, I see lots of people giving very dodgy advice in PI who aren't qualified counsellors or psychotherapists, especially regarding relationship break-ups. If you were applying the same rules, then you'd be under the same legal exposure here.

You're also legally exposed every time someone slags off Pat Kenny/Ryan Tubridy in the Television forum for being professionally incompetent.
    Gordon wrote:
    Please, share your wisdom with us and lets make this bulletin board the best possible bulletin board (all seen in the best possible taste / everett).

The question is, where do you draw the line? Do you run shy of allowing any content that might expose you legally? In that case close the whole show down now.

oh!!!!

blah blah blah blah blah.

moan and píss, moan and píss.

honestly, youre like a stuck record at this stage.

at what point are you going to learn.

do you know what my definition of stupid is?

its doing the same thing over and over again, and somhow expecting something different....

you fall into that catagory.

As I stated in a previous post, I see lots of people giving very dodgy advice in PI who aren't qualified counsellors or psychotherapists, especially regarding relationship break-ups. If you were applying the same rules, then you'd be under the same legal exposure here.
    I hardly think that telling someone to dump their boyfriend is as legally dangerous as telling someone to poke a pencil in their ear to cure tinnitus.
    The question is, where do you draw the line? Do you run shy of allowing any content that might expose you legally? In that case close the whole show down now.
    We draw the line where we draw the line. Where do you want the line being drawn? And will you draw it with a pencil?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Gordon wrote:
    We draw the line where we draw the line.

Exactly, PI mods are instructed to make calls on threads. It might not always be to your liking, but this website or "publication" is only looking to protect itself from possible legal issues. Deal with it

dudara wrote:
    but this website or "publication" is only looking to protect itself from possible legal issues.

and idiots

Advertisement