Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glam MeTaL

• 28-10-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Im walking through my local HMV, Tower Records and Golden Discs et all and all I can see in the compilation section is all this rubbish from the 60's and 70's, some good bands, but mostly bad songs, and some good songs, but mostly bad bands. Theres compilations for Punk, acoustic, power ballad, legends, driving, loud and heavy, rocking around and even Heavy Metal compilations but theres one thing missing..........theres no Glam Rock! Theres no Glam Rock from the 80s, Poison, Ratt, Winger, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Tesla, Skid Row and Faster Pussycat etc

I can find all the above bands albums and more in HMV Henry Street, but I cant find one compilation, and there songs are never included on 80s compilations or indeed on acoustic compilations (with the exception of Metal Mania Stripped)

The Glam Metal genre had just as much talent as any other phase in history, why no compilations?

2. Whats ur favorite Glam Metal album?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well then why dont you join a record distributor, compile your own glam metal album and release? Nobodys stopping you...yet. Or did it ever occur to you that maybe there are lots of them, but since everyone loves glam metal so much, theyre always sold out?

On a more serious note, very few compilations are specific to one genre, such as glam metal. I dont know about a whole pile of bands that are specifically pigeonholed into 'glam metal', apart from Motley Crue and W.A.S.P, cos most of what was glam was glam rock, and not glam metal (IMO). Last night, i was in my local Dunnes Stores (Childers Road, Limerick) and passed by the CD collection, and glanced at two rock/metal compilations. One of them was pretty rubbish, the other was so good that I was about to go against what i stood for and buy the thing, for the sake of supporting someone who took the time to put a collection of such classic songs onto a double CD. On said double CD, was everything from Breaking The Law to the compulsory Ace Of Spades, but it also had Motley Crue, Quiet Riot and Skid Row, and a few other bands that I cant think of now.

Bottom line is this: Glam metal is way too specific for a compilation album, and record distributors probably wont release one cos they think a very select audience would buy it, and said audience would probably have all the songs on the compilation on album anyway. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

To be honest most people would rather forget that era maybe thats why you cant find a compilation.All the same I would say there has to be some out there.I used to get laughed at for listening to these bands when I was younger(even tho everyone loved the ballads)

Anyway faves:

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
    followed by
    Love/Hate - Blackout in the Red Room
    LA Guns - Hollywood Vampires
    Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

Plus as the Lord says it a loosely classed term as Gary Glitter,Slade etc were classed as glam rock too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

That sort of stuff was neverly overly popular here, as I recall. HMV will only stock what they reckon they'll make money off. Going on their selection of cd's in the Metal section they're not too keen on that style.

Still, have a look at this to make it all better :)

http://www.metalsludge.tv/store/cds_hollywoodrocks.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

oh my ****ing god thats good.....damn it man im gonna have to get that bloody thing ordered or on amazon or something!

Advertisement