Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLAT panel Monitors & 3D modelling

Options
  • 28-10-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I know sod all about these.
    I'm upgrading two workstations & are considering FP monitors. Are they OK for 3 d modelling, I know on gaming the ideal Response time is 12ms or less.

Just that I spotted the Dell 20" monitors for at a cheap proce but they're 16ms response time..

Anyone got advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Response time is only a factor when there is a lot of movement on-screen. People make far too much out of the whole response time thing anyway. I've never seen ghosting on even a 24ms response time screen. The screen I'm using at the moment is 16ms, not a bother with it. Get the 20" screen if you think it's good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

16ms here aswell, no problems, gaming or otherwise. (on a Dell 2005FPW 20" funnily enough)
    I've never noticed any problems with modelling either... maybe you're expecting blurring/ghosting while doing a quick rotate/examine around the model... believe me, it's nothing like some dodgy laptop screen... you'd hardly notice it unless you were used to a 120Hz CRT and had a well trained eye, and even then it's not really that noticable... God damn though every time I look at a high refresh CRT it melts my brain with smoothness ;)
    I think the best thing to do would be to ask the people using the workstations what they think (assuming it's someone else) ... if they're professional enough 3D artists to notice the difference between a CRT and a good TFT while working, then I'm sure they'll be able to tell you their preference one way or the other.

All 'round though, thumbs up on these monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Most TFTs are fine for 3D work. A few things to watch though. Dead pixels. You still get some on montiors from time to time, and doing graphics with dead pixels are a no no. Even if you know its a dead pixel, you'll forget and keep mistaking it for a vertex/vector handle etc. The second thing is resolution. Some 3D apps work best at a specific res, say 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. Some apps don't support wide screen res that well. So make sure the native res of the TFT is ok for the apps you are using. TFT's really only have one resolution. Their native res.

Advertisement