Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom have a sense of humor

Options
  • 21-09-2001 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

The have an add on the register.
    The register has in the past taken the proverbial out of eircom over LLU and lately DSL.
    And you guys mention the reg in here alot.

is this the first time they have an add there, cuz i never read their page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Nah, I've seen the ads for "hispeed" for good few months now. While the UK gets ADSL, Eircom's hispeed makes it appear like Ireland is just as good.......whooopeee, overcharged 12 year old ISDN. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw
    Nah, I've seen the ads for "hispeed" for good few months now. While the UK gets ADSL, Eircom's hispeed makes it appear like Ireland is just as good.......whooopeee, overcharged 12 year old ISDN. Nice one.

I actually know a few people who have gotten Eircom's so-called "hispeed" service, and they were all rather disappointed. There just isn't much difference between 56kbps and 64kbps. And 128kbps isn't really an option, because the calls cost twice as much.

From the outside though, "hispeed" sounds like some sort of DSL service. The first time I saw that ad in fact, I thought Eircom had finally gotten their fat ass into action and launched ADSL.

Eircom are essentially selling a donkey with a "superfast racecar" sign attached. And to add insult to injury, they're selling it for 10 times the price of a real racecar.

Nice one indeed, Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    From the outside though, "hispeed" sounds like some sort of DSL service. The first time I saw that ad in fact, I thought Eircom had finally gotten their fat ass into action and launched ADSL.
    I remember getting a call from an Eircom salesdrone. Would I be interested in a much higher speed line that allowed phone calls at the same time! I immediately thought they were finally offering ADSL which they had been trialling for some time. Then she explained that it was a digital line that was split into two and that allowed one half to be used as a standard phone line. I said it sounded like ISDN and she said, "yes, but the difference is that you get to keep your existing number. ISDN does not allow you to do this."

Then I asked about ADSL and she laughed and said that that would not be around for a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

They are also advretising "i-scream" on FT.com and on Reuters - which shows where they think their customers may come from...

Advertisement