Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You guys will know ALL abou this......

• 21-09-2001 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Just installed Red Hat 7.0 tonight(finally), but as no doubt most of you are doing, I wanna dual boot with windows. Linux on one HD and Windows on another. Recommendations as to (free) software? Also, just so I don't go and fúck it up, what jumper settings do I put on my HD's, both on IDE 1. Thanks all......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

theres a little proggy called LiLo [not very well known] but its free and it does the trick..and oh yes...its already there on your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Eww, redhat. :) Slackware's my thing, but it's not for everyone.

Anyway, You'd want to set the linux hdd as slave, and windows as master (it gets bitchy otherwise, I think)

As for a bootloader to handle the dual-booting, I like the FreeBSD bootloader.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/bootinst.exe
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/boot.bin

Download these two files, (only like 12/13k in total) drag boot.bin onto bootinst.exe and it's installed. No configuration needed, unlike LILO! When you boot, it detects what you have, and presents a list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by chernobyl
    theres a little proggy called LiLo [not very well known]

Not very well known??!

but anyway, yeah the RH install will take you through it, maybe its a good idea to print out the install readme before you start if it's your first time installing it.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers phaxx - that works pretty well. This LILO yoke though, how do I start it(I'm a total linux newbie) I notice when I boot up, it actually types in LILO itself and runs from there - whats that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You can usually type "win" or "linux" to boot them up, depending on how it was installed. If you leave it for X seconds it starts the default OS.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Or, you can use the FreeBSD bootloader above and avoid LILO entirely. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

grrrrr RedHat another offensive distobution of Linux.

heres what ya do, start from scratch again. cat /dev/random /dev/hda or hdb which ever has linux on it.

then race to a mates house borrow his cd of Slackware/FreeBSD and install that.

do not use RedHat, its *almost* as bad as using Ms Windows.

No more Excuses Eircom.
    http://eircom.dahomelands.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Phaxx - any way to configure that freeBSD 'cos it calls my disk1: ????, obviously some prob there, and it sets the last OS used as default, I want it to boot Windows as default, 'cos my parents havent a clue about comps so if they boot up and just see a login screen, they won't know what to do, and they'll hit the fúckin roof.

Advertisement