Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally, a Stadium..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Well they're League One now, thats all I know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah he was supposedly the next big thing at Southampton too. Don't know what ever became of him.

The reason he went to Bohs in the first place was a work permit issue with Southampton that prevented him even playing in their reserve side, and led to him being let go by them in the end too. I think he's playing in the Ukraine now but hasn't amounted to much.

Lemlin wrote:
    Its not an hours drive from parts of Cavan but when you live on the Cavan/Meath border it is. I'm merely pointing out the fact that this person, like myself, may not have had a 'local' Eircom league team when he was growing up. I know I didn't.

Fact is I'm not interested in the Eircom League at all. I watch football to be entertained. IMO Eircom league games are not entertaining (from the ones I've watched anyway), that's why I follow Blackburn in the PL, and First Division for a few years, and have done for the last 13 years.
    I don't think anyone's questioning your right to support whoever you want, it is afterall your own freewill. The problem is when people lie about things seemingly purely to give the league here a bad name, when there isn't even a remote bit of truth to basis the foundation of a lie on! :) This was what MYOB did, not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Martyn, Mills, Radebe, Woodgate, Harte (Huckerby HT), Bowyer, Bakke, McPhail, Wilcox, Bridges, Kewell

thats the UEFA Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg: Thursday 20 April 2000 Leeds United 2 - 2 Galatasaray team

Martyn; Mills, Ferdinand, Matteo, Harte; Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell (Wilcox 84); Smith, Viduka

thats the team that beat deportivo in the CL in 2001,

and the team v shels:
    Martyn, Mills, Domi, Camara, Matteo, Morris, McPhail (Woods, 45), Barmby (Milner, 45), Wilcox, Sakho (Lennon, 45), McMaster

spot the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Slash/ED wrote:
    The reason he went to Bohs in the first place was a work permit issue with Southampton that prevented him even playing in their reserve side, and led to him being let go by them in the end too. I think he's playing in the Ukraine now but hasn't amounted to much.

Yeah I remember the work-permit situation. Google tells me he is playing for Skonto Riga now, in Latvia.

blu_sonic wrote:
    spot the difference?

Haha, no Rovers victories to grace us with?

Care to show us the line-up of the Deportivo team we matched in Landsdowne? ;)

Also remember we played Leeds in 2003, 2 years after the latest team posted there! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slash/ED wrote:
    It was a lie to counter argue a point about something which you lack experience, knowledge or interest to maintain a decent argument eitherway.

Based on the only times I saw old Division 3 sides play an EL side, its not a lie - will get the exact figures for the matches tommorrow when I can phone someone with a better long term memory, the last one was in 2001...

I can see this thread being berated for being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OT, but please don't lock it mods! The OP made a wild statement and has yet to back it up. We're all waiting.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote:
    Based on the only times I saw old Division 3 sides play an EL side, its not a lie - will get the exact figures for the matches tommorrow when I can phone someone with a better long term memory, the last one was in 2001...

So you regularly take in friendlys between league two sides and EL sides but don't goto actual EL matches...? :confused:

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I can see this thread being berated for being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OT, but please don't lock it mods! The OP made a wild statement and has yet to back it up. We're all waiting.

A statement which I've, err, changed since then, read back

And only because an utterly stupid suggestion was made in the first place.

If "regular mincing" refers to 1972 then I'm sure thats still classed as false right? :) Recent matches suggest anything but...

Shelbourne (4-1-4-1):: Williams – Heary (capt.), Rogers, Harris, Crawley – S. Byrne – J. Byrne, Moore, Hoolahan, Cahill – Fitzpatrick (Ndo, 62).

Deportivo La Coruna (4-4-1-1): Molina (Munua, 41) – Manuel Pablo, Andrade, Cesar Martin, Romero – Victor, Mauro Silva (capt.), Sergio (Duscher, 67), Luque (Munitis, 80) – Valeron – Pandiani.

Was it Munua who was brought on for the sole purpose of man marking Weso Hoolahan? :)

MYOB wrote:
    A statement which I've, err, changed since then, read back

And only because an utterly stupid suggestion was made in the first place.

And from your years of watching many EL games and in depth knowledge of all the teams, players and managers therein you feel you're in a good position to judge the relative strenghts of one league v the other and therefore can call the suggestion "utterly stupid"?

Fair enough.

Slash/ED wrote:
    So you regularly take in friendlys between league two sides and EL sides but don't goto actual EL matches...? :confused:

I've been to actual EL matches on a number of occasions, generally going with friends who are St. Pats or Finn Harps fans.

Also a certain back-then Divison 3 side that I support also did a regularly summer friendly tour in the 1990's, as instituted by Liam Brady and continued on. Which would be the main reason I've seen to see EL teams that aren't near where I might normally be (Kildare or Donegal)

rovers have 1 good claim to fame: (drum roll please)
    50 years ago when chelsea were the champions of england the last time they came to dailyer (of all places) and we beat the 4-3 i believe lol and we'd do it again i tells ya (JOKE!!!)

• Advertisement

kildare county and Finn harps might get minced though lol, nah your talking nonsence brother, its a real open mouth insert foot job now

MYOB wrote:
    Which would be the main reason I've seen to see EL teams that aren't near where I might normally be (Kildare or Donegal)

In fairness, after tonights results you're probably best staying away from either of those places... :D

I didn't say I went to Kildare County matches - I've never set foot inside Station Road or seen them play away; I just live in this county and was saying the only time I've seen an EL team particularly far away from here or Donegal is when they've been playing Brighton. I have, however, seen all the Dublin teams + Bray at least once in their respective home grounds in the past 3 years.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Was it Munua who was brought on for the sole purpose of man marking Weso Hoolahan? :)

Nah, he was the keeper! :D

Was probably Duscher.

lol and they are so far apart geographicaly why would you go ther, ps soapy its a 2 horse race i'm just putting that here cuz i know your reading this thread

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Nah, he was the keeper! :D

Was probably Duscher.
    Ahhahaha yeah, probably right :) Damn my tiredness! I remember Weso nutmegging Sergio IIRC :D

blu_sonic wrote:
    lol and they are so far apart geographicaly why would you go ther, ps soapy its a 2 horse race i'm just putting that here cuz i know your reading this thread

I live in Kildare, I'm from Donegal and have family there. Decent enough explanation?

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Ahhahaha yeah, probably right :) Damn my tiredness! I remember Weso nutmegging Sergio IIRC :D

Oh how could I forget. I'm buying the DVD on Monday and I'll upload that clip on Monday night. You can look too MYOB!

again im not having a go, its just a long way to go, i wasn't looking fo an explaination, i guess your on the defensive ow but its all good, you made a lot of sence other than our mince statment, ps i'm a veggie no mince please lol

Sweet, I keep meaning to buy them but then I remember I'm broke! :D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Oh how could I forget. I'm buying the DVD on Monday and I'll upload that clip on Monday night. You can look too MYOB!

He also promoted the famous "He's sent him for the evening herald" bit of commentary with iirc a flick over one of their heads. You simply don't have players like Weso in league two :)

shels european exploites the worlds shortest DVD (thats a joke) atleast DVDs were invented when you were in Europe last spare a thought for me lol

blu_sonic wrote:
    again im not having a go, its just a long way to go, i wasn't looking fo an explaination, i guess your on the defensive ow but its all good, you made a lot of sence other than our mince statment, ps i'm a veggie no mince please lol

Erm, "make mushy vegetable lasagne contents out of them" any better?

After the last time I had a Withdean burger, vegeterianism seemed extremely tempting btw...

agreed, i'll see you in the leo burdocks in dailymount for some chipa and a mars bar, see if we can tempt you into the EL, or suicide, after tonight i'm close to it Bray???? come on Bray????

Slash/ED wrote:
    He also promoted the famous "He's sent him for the evening herald" bit of commentary with iirc a flick over one of their heads. You simply don't have players like Weso in league two :)

I was just going to say that! That was the second best moment as a Shels fan in Europe. No prizes for guessing the first.*

Weso = God.

*Ball comes down to Rogersss...........

By the way, back on topic. How did Brighton fare against Harps? Also bare in mind that Harps may have been Division 1 at the time.

• Advertisement

All due respect i think that in general harps aren't my 1st choice team to showcase EL in the last few years, mabe cork on consistancy, shels before the greed from pat would have gotten my vote

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    By the way, back on topic. How did Brighton fare against Harps? Also bare in mind that Harps may have been Division 1 at the time.

Slightly too drunk to remember (been wetting the stadiums head today...) and the albionarchives database seems to not do friendlies - it skips from 05/2000 to 08/2000 and I think the match was that summer.

However, not the only match I've seen in Finn Park. And I can't remember any of them right now, damn you Carlsberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

blu_sonic wrote:
    All due respect i think that in general harps aren't my 1st choice team to showcase EL in the last few years, mabe cork on consistancy, shels before the greed from pat would have gotten my vote

I can't imagine many League Two teams who use the training facilities of a local college like Shelbourne do.

Something which has nothing to do with standard of football, and is why Shels are building their own training complex.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Something which has nothing to do with standard of football, and is why Shels are building their own training complex.

Nope, but it does have to do with the lads point that the Eircom League is on par with League Two.

About time too, any student that uses Blanchardstown IT gym will be glad to see the back of them.

No it doesn't, facilities wise it's behind, players/standard wise it's ahead of league two.

Slash/ED wrote:
    No it doesn't, facilities wise it's behind, players/standard wise it's ahead of league two.

Well I've never heard of a League Two soccer team not having their own gym. Even my local GAA team have their own gym facilities.

Lemlin wrote:
    Nope, but it does have to do with the lads point that the Eircom League is on par with League Two.

The only way of comparing the two leagues is in games. And I think the eL's case already been proved.

Lemlin wrote:
    Well I've never heard of a League Two soccer team not having their own gym. Even my local GAA team have their own gym facilities.

So do Shels what's your point?

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:

http://www.shelbournefc.com/images/article/gym_art_001.jpg

weel i bet B&HA don't have one either, (joke) but i all seriousness doesn't that prove our case further? ie. we (the EL) have pooh pooh conditions/stadiums/money but are still better on the pitch WHERE IT MATTERS

Slash/ED wrote:
    So do Shels what's your point?

Its being argued here that Eircom League teams are on par with League Two teams. Based on the fact that Shelbourne don't even have adequate gym facilities, and are one of the richer Eircom clubs, I can't see how this is so. That's my point.

Having had to share a gym with the group of Shelbourne lads as well, I wouldn't see their attitude as hugely professional in outlook.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

That's a lovely picture. Much nicer looking gym then Blanchardstown ITs. So why ahev they been using Blanch's for the last year or so?

blu_sonic wrote:
    weel i bet B&HA don't have one either, (joke) but i all seriousness doesn't that prove our case further? ie. we (the EL) have pooh pooh conditions/stadiums/money but are still better on the pitch WHERE IT MATTERS
    The only comparissons we have are games, and from what I can tell there have been no recent games between EL Premier Sides and League Two sides, and we always put up a good showing against Premiership sides and have a couple of good victories. I still fail to see where the "worse than League Two" comparisson is coming from!

Lemlin wrote:
    Its being argued here that Eircom League teams are on par with League Two teams. Based on the fact that Shelbourne don't even have adequate gym facilities, and are one of the richer Eircom clubs, I can't see how this is so. That's my point.

On the pitch... the green grass-esque stuff!

Shelbourne now have a new gym, perhaps it was due to the building of this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I didnt look at this cause I assumed it was about an Irish stadium and I don't even want to get my hopes up about that.

I was soo happy when I heard this news, its time for Brighton to consolidate their position in the championship now for a couple of years, and with this new money push up the table.
    We have a fantastic manager who can make anything possible, and I look forward to the day when Brighton are able to compete in the top leagues of English football.

And to make it even better, Hammond just put one past Ipswich

Lemlin wrote:

Having had to share a gym with the group of Shelbourne lads as well, I wouldn't see their attitude as hugely professional in outlook.

what in the name of f*cking jaysus has a gym got to do with the standard of football?

Nobodys arguing it's on par with league two teams, it's far better than that rubbish. As evidenced by Cork going further then an SPL side this year in the UEFA, Shels going as far as their champions, and going as far as a championship side in the UEFA cup last year, and as far as the SPL champions in the CL, again.

Like to see a league two side do that, but sure they have a nice gym, and that's what it's all about really.

Slash/ED wrote:
    what in the name of f*cking jaysus has a gym got to do with the standard of football?

Nobodys arguing it's on par with league two teams, it's far better than that rubbish. As evidenced by Cork going further then an SPL side this year in the UEFA, Shels going as far as their champions, and going as far as a championship side in the UEFA cup last year, and as far as the SPL champions in the CL, again.

Like to see a league two side do that, but sure they have a nice gym, and that's what it's all about really.

IMO I don't see how The Eircom League can prove to be so successful when the facilities at one of the best clubs aren't even on par with the lowest league in England.

I've also had first hand experience of the Shels alds and I'd see them as anything but professional in their attitude, as I mentioned above.

I think its unfair to comment how you think a League Two team would do in Europe. They don't have the chance to qualify.

No but to say they'd do better than a championship side is laughable.

You're talking nonsense if you think a bloody gym is a reflection of standard of football. It's simple, facilities wise it's below, on the pitch wise it's better than anything on display in league one.

Lemlin wrote:
    IMO I don't see how The Eircom League can prove to be so successful when the facilities at one of the best clubs aren't even on par with the lowest league in England.

I've also had first hand experience of the Shels alds and I'd see them as anything but professional in their attitude, as I mentioned above.

I think its unfair to comment how you think a League Two team would do in Europe. They don't have the chance to qualify.

Considering that you don't watch eL regularly I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement