Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phonewatch

Options
  • 28-10-2005 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

This may be a silly question but do you have to be subscribed to Eircom for your phone to able to get phone watch or do you just have to have line rental with Eircom?

I want Eircom phone watch but i want my phone, line rental and broadband with BT. Is this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This may be a silly question but do you have to be subscribed to Eircom for your phone to able to get phone watch or do you just have to have line rental with Eircom?

I want Eircom phone watch but i want my phone, line rental and broadband with BT. Is this possible?

Phonewatch will work just fine, it doesn't matter who you have your line from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

does it interfere with broadband connections at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Tezcat wrote:
    does it interfere with broadband connections at all?

It really depends on your phoneline and the quality of the DSL signal when it gets to your house. There are many reports of DSL working just fine with a monitored alarm installed but there are instances particularly with older alarms where the DSL signal is degraded when it passes through the alarms dialer to the point where your modem won't sync. If this is the case you will either need an engineer install or you can modify your line yourself using the guide stickied in the Broadband forum. Having a monitored alarm won't prevent you getting DSL but it can make it a little more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My mother has Eircom with Phonewatch and BB and some other other telco for calls. All live quite happily on the same line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pmac3

I hope you don't mind me asking, why are you going for phone watch? I hear they can be a bit pricey and the backup service is crap. My advice is price around few alarm companies you might be a bit surprised. If its wireless you want it still can be cheaper than eircom. I'm in the alarm business so if you have any quires let me know.

Phil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Pmac3 wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me asking, why are you going for phone watch? I hear they can be a bit pricey and the backup service is crap.

Hear Hear..

What backup service??
    Didn't think they had one anymore...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Redshift wrote:
    Phonewatch will work just fine, it doesn't matter who you have your line from.

What about cable TV broadband?

Assuming one has one or two RJ11 phone jacks on the set-top box it might work? What number do Phonewatch use for their control panel to "call home" to report an alarm event? It doesn't appear in ComReg's numbering database. (i.e one wonders if it is part of the national numbering space reachable from all carriers because the same number has been working for years - despite changes in the geographic numbering plan).

probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Don't be nosey, now!!

I could tell you that, but I'd have to kill you then...
    They have *SEVERAL* numbers, each depending on the type of system.
    Info like that will not appear in any 'public access' directory for obvious reasons.

Advertisement