Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Biotech considers ombudsman action against Eircom

Options
  • 21-09-2001 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

(no I didn't type this up) - http://new.businessandfinance.ie/livenews.htm?a=158594;s=rollingnews.htm

Trinity Biotech considers ombudsman action against Eircom
    Thursday, September 20 08:52:31

(Bus & Fin)

Nasdaq-quoted pharmaceuticals firm Trinity Biotech is considering taking a case to the Ombudsman over its failure to secure a 1Mb leased line from Eircom, which it says it needs to perform vital online order processes with its two offices in the US.

This week’s Business & Finance magazine reports that the company, a customer of Esat Telecom, claims it has been seeking the leased line since January this year, to connect its Bray headquarters with the Esat circuit which is located within Eircom's the town's exchange facility.

A senior company source told Business & Finance that the company was initially told that Trinity was too far away from the local exchange to secure the bandwidth it required. He said it was then told that the communications wiring at its building was obsolete and incapable of carrying the bandwidth.

The company then re-wired its operations to carry the bandwidth, only to be told it was too far away from the local exchange. "We are exactly one mile away from the Dell operations in Bray and that uses tonnes of bandwidth", the source added, referring to the PC giant that is processes at least £5m worth of sales a day online.

The company is currently working off a 128k leased line, which is incapable of handling the high volumes of data that Trinity Biotech requires.

It is looking to install a 1Mb line that could be upgraded to a 2Mb service within a year.

"We have two offices in the US and we need to link our online order processing to these offices. At present we have two people in Bray and four people in the States doing this manually. This means huge replication of labour and costs us because those people could be better employed elsewhere."

He added that Eircom sent his company an invoice of IR 35,000 per annum for the installation of the leased line, which he said the company would gladly pay to get its service up and running. "They have sent engineers out to us who said they would be back in a day or two and we never saw them again. That was two months ago."

An Eircom spokesperson told Business & Finance that the company's carrier business division had been working with Trinity Biotech and admitted that there were problems surrounding the wiring of the building and that engineers had evaluated different options. "We only became aware on the 4th of September that the rewiring had been completed and we intend to come back to them with a date to complete the line."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

File under "National embarrassment"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It just struck me on reading it as just another example of the Eircom type "hey, you're not getting ISDN now or ever" type thing that we've heard a few times. The excuses, one after the next, until they were finally told just to bugger off. National embarrassment? Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

the above only proves;

incompetence x arrogance = eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

the above only proves;

incompetence x arrogance = eircom

sorry accidental double post

but I should add to the above that Trinity Biotech should have patience;

. "They have sent engineers out to us who said they would be back in a day or two and we never saw them again. That was two months ago."

they will turn up in 5-6 months in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

the word 'cowboy outfit' come into my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

*cough* - ... or going by their own recent ad campaign ... "Mickey Mouse operation"... (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by spanner_head
    the word 'cowboy outfit' come into my head.

"Dodgy butchers" even, to quote your goodself spanner_head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

We only became aware on the 4th of September that the rewiring had been completed"

didnt they do the rewiring?

"Eircom sent his company an invoice of IR 35,000 per annum for the installation of the leased line"
    First off the line isnt installed, secound, how can you be charge per annum for a once of job. Hmmm yea i fixed your car, your going to pay me now and then once every month one top of that.

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»:

• Gainward Geforce 3 64mbs
    • PANASONI 16xDVD 48xCD
    • CRUCIAL 512MB PC2100
    • Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder
    • Sound Blaster Live Player 5.1
    • ThermoEngine V60-4225 Delta Black
    • Dual IBM Deskstar 60GXP 41.2GB UDMA100
    • Coorercase Storm Nero (300w psu)
    • 2 120m and 2 80m YS-Tech Fans
    • Rounded Ata 100/66 ide cables black
    • D-LINK Network Card 10/100 PCI
    • Cordless Optical Desktop Pro
    • 17” LCD Monitor

Er... nice PC and all that, but why do you show it off in your sig in every post???

Just curious, like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

showing off your PC setup in message board sig is standard fare in gamer circles.

take a look at the boards at madonion.com to see what i mean

pete
    Thermal Printer
    14" B&W Portable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bad news for Trinity, great news for us. At some stage someone in the government is going to have to wake up and realise the damage Eircom are doing by not providing an adequate service in what is an essential national infrastructure. I'm beginning to think more radical actions that continuously extracting teeth from Eircom is required (no not re-nationalisation that's worse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Bard

Er... nice PC and all that, but why do you show it off in your sig in every post???

Just curious, like :p

i believe its called "haha..mine is bigger than your's".

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

yes but someone who does it may well be compensating for something. you know compensating for........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Lets hope this article doesn't end up on the desks of some of the major US MultiNats and big investment houses.

I think Fergus summed it up well
    "National embarrassment"

Originally posted by pertinax
    yes but someone who does it may well be compensating for something. you know compensating for........

heh... and there was me considering editing his post, snipping his sig and replacing it with the text:

"Snip!- Willy extension removed"
    Originally posted by 80project.com

I think Fergus summed it up well

quote: "National embarrassment"

Daaaammnnn straight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its For Technical reasons, as when your asking for help, people usually want to know what you system config is, I wouldn’t normally post it but its on by default and I keep forgetting to turn it off,

Ps isn’t this extremely OT

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    Its For Technical reasons, as when your asking for help, people usually want to know what you system config is, I wouldn’t normally post it but its on by default and I keep forgetting to turn it off,

Ps isn’t this extremely OT

Yes it is, but it's funny :) - and there's only so many ways you can say how what diabolically bad PR this is for eircom and Ireland in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Since this is a well known Dublin company, I was wondering what it was like in other parts of the country and came accross this recent IT article:

Firms face delays of four years for crucial circuits

Shocking stuff. I wonder how long it will take the Government to realise the effect this sort of behavior has on the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good link, SkepticOne. I wonder how Eircom can be so precise in telling the company they can't have a 2Mb line until Jan 15 2005.

Another source said that until the Communications Bill passed the Dáil, the telecoms regulator would have little power to force Eircom to comply with agreements.

Speaks for itself really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by sceptre
    Good link, SkepticOne. I wonder how Eircom can be so precise in telling the company they can't have a 2Mb line until Jan 15 2005.
    A clue is in the article:
    An Eircom spokeswoman said last night that the delivery dates sent to individual companies were not accurate and were merely "computer-generated".

• Advertisement
Advertisement