Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea - are they going to do an Arsenal?

• 28-10-2005 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

We all know how delicate Arsenals confidence is (remember last season?)

Well... Chelsea drew last week (although Drogba's second goal should have been allowed) and then they went and drew (and then lost on penalties) on Wednesday.

Are things looking shaky?

Chelsea v Blackburn tomorrow. Is this where it all goes wrong...or is it where Chelsea prove they're as strong as ever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As strong as ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I can't see Chelsea faltering too badly at any stage in the League this season. They seem to be very strong in spirit, and two draws in a row won't change that too much in England anyway. Tomorrow's match against Blackburn should provide them with a platform to get back to winning ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is where Chelsea get beaten upon for ninety minutes with no quarter given from Blackburn on the challenges side of things. Hopefully some of the flowers on the Chelsea side will not bew able to live with being hounded for the ball for 90 minutes ala Everton last week. That seemed to work for them, fight hard, have a few decisions go against them and build from there.

Or they could hump blackburn 5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

dublindude wrote:
    (although Drogba's second goal should have been allowed) and then they went and drew (and then lost on penalties) on Wednesday.

Don't forget Everton should have had a second penalty.

I think Chelsea will beat Blackburn tomorrow but I reckon they will lose at some stage during their Premiership campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Any bets on dickov making a stud print on cechs face? Should be a fun game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Do an Arsenal? What you mean go the entire season unbeaten? Far more likely than them screwing it up unfortunately.

Dr J wrote:
    What you mean go the entire season unbeaten?

I think he means lose confidence because of a poor result after a great run of form. I don't think they will, considering it was "only" a Carling Cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

where it all goes wrong...

... I hope! :D

Chelsea will know that they've been in a tough football game anyways. hard to say? Blackburn walloped ManU already and its often said(in previous seasons anyways) that BB can pull off shock results agaisnt top teams looking to nick an (easy?) 3 points

Blackburn is in some decent form and most all of our best team will be playing (Bellamy etc) so who knows

2-2
    Lampard x2 - Bellamy, Gamst Perdersen one each

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I think he means lose confidence because of a poor result after a great run of form. I don't think they will, considering it was "only" a Carling Cup game.

I know what he meant, I was pointing out that the phrase 'doing an arsenal' should mean going a season unbeaten rather than screwing a season up.

*Waits for backlash from non-arsenal supporters*

Dr J wrote:
    I know what he meant, I was pointing out that the phrase 'doing an arsenal' should mean going a season unbeaten rather than screwing a season up.

Oh right, sorry! Don't think there should be much of a backlash, going a season unbeaten is a ridiculously good achievement. You can't help but admire it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Blackburn walloped ManU already and its often said(in previous seasons anyways) that BB can pull off shock results agaisnt top teams looking to nick an (easy?) 3 points

I don't want to sound like I'm belittling that fine result (and you did better than my own Spurs) but if Chelsea create as many chances on Saturday as ManYoo did that day they'll win comfortably. Utd's finishing at Old Trafford against Blackburn was nothing short of woeful, Blackburn's was far more clinical.

Give Chelsea that space at Stamford Bridge and they'll punish you, Lampard and Drogba are scoring for fun at the moment (and linking up well). The key to winning will be to be first to the ball in every challenge (and make sure its the ball not the man...;) ), not letting Chelsea settle for a moment.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well they've only gone unbeaten once, and bottled the prem twice in the last 3 years

astrofool wrote:
    well they've only gone unbeaten once, and bottled the prem twice in the last 3 years

First of all they bottled it once. Not attaining the 96 points needed to beat chelsea last season does not mean they bottled it. Secondly do you think Wenger's Arsenal in 10 or 20 years time will be remembered as the team who bottled it at the end of the 2002/2003 season or as the team who went the following season without losing a single game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I have my fingers crossed that it will happen.

Their next three games could result in a stumble,
    Blackburn, Man Utd, Newcastle.

A draw/loss against Blackburn, a defeat at Old Trafford and possibly dropping points against Newcastle if their confidence suffers.

If one of the top teams in the table pulls off a run of wins in this time you would see Chelsea's lead melt.

I realise I am presuming alot here but you have to live in hope :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

blackburn is a bit of a grudge match after their antic last season, the chelsea fans and players will be well up for it , and i doubt the ref will be allowed to give blackburn free reign to kick the sh*t out of chelsea.

Drop points against Newcastle, well its possible, but a long shot !

and chelsea's record at old trafford is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I fancy Blackburn to get in amongst them and make it difficult. I can't see them thumping us 4-0 like they did at this stage last season.

Bellamy is improving and should be fit to start and MGP should cause them some problems. Savage did well last week aginst Birmingham so hopefully he'll have another good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i would have also thought doing an arsenal was going inbeaten too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Of the two (Man Utd and Newcastle) I see Newcastle as having the better chance of beating Chelsea.

Unlikely yes, but with the way Utd are performing it's the sounder bet.

Chelsea do seem to be letting in a lot of goals lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Battling game from Blackburn, but they really turned it on in the second half,
    still BBurn scored 2 against Chelsea, how many other teams have put 2 past Chelski this season?

seems Chelsea are as strong as ever, that 'mini slump' < lol, is over and of the next two games Newcastle might have teh better chance, after the ManU 4 goal defeat, sorry to say but its looking bleak for ManU in hte premiership this year, Chelsea are rampant and if Manu could get a draw that would be a good result for them.

Advertisement