Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Pagans Physically Practice Their Faith, etc.?

Options
  • 28-10-2005 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was wondering do Pagan faiths actually practise their faith like the way "organised" religions do, such attending church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc. If so, where?

Does Paganism have a strong influence on the daily life of its followers such as the observant nature of many Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc.

Finally, do people become Pagan by just believing in it or do they have to do something like the way Christians have baptisms.

I know I'm comparing "unorganised" faiths to "organised" faiths but it's the only way I can understand and also what are the main types of Pagan religions as they all very much seem the same to me. (I know, I'm ignorant!)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

UU wrote:
    Hey all,

I was wondering do Pagan faiths actually practise their faith like the way "organised" religions do, such attending church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc. If so, where?

Its likely to vary from belief to belief, and indeed from individual to individual within that belief. I don't feel I'm qualified to comment on any other branches of paganism, so I'll just answer for my own.

I am an asatruar. We prefer the term heathen over pagan. What it means is that I follow the path of the Aesir and Vanir, the gods and goddesses of the north. Odin, Thor, Freyr and Freya, Tyr and all the rest.

Specifically I would refer to myself as a Tyr's-man. By this I mean that I am dedicated to Tyr .. not exclusively, but it is Tyr I feel my own character closest to, and the one I work best with.

For myself, I an a solitary practioner, mostly due to the fact that there aren't all that many asatru around here (or at least, not that many that I know).

I do not need any special place to worship.
    UU wrote:
    Does Paganism have a strong influence on the daily life of its followers such as the observant nature of many Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc.

I try to live my life my the nine noble virtues of asatru. These are

COURAGE
    By facing life's struggles with courage, we constantly extend our capabilities. Without courage, nothing else can be done!

TRUTH
    Blind faith has no place in Asatru. No pie-in-the-sky; we must act in this world as we see it and as it really is rather than calmly wait for the next.

HONOR
    We must be true to what we are, and we insist on acting with nobility rather than baseness. Our standards must be banners held high in our hearts.

FIDELITY
    We stand true to our faith and our values. Loyalty is the basis for all enduring human activity, and we hold it in the highest esteem.

HOSPITALITY
    The isolation and loneliness of modern life is not necessary. The willingness to share what one has with ones' fellows, especially travelers,is a vital part of our way of life.

DISCIPLINE
    We hold to the discipline necessary to fulfill our purpose. We stand willing to exercise the self-control and steadfastness necessary in these difficult times.

INDUSTRIOUSNESS
    Let us dare to be all that we can be! Let us take risks and taste the richness of life. Passivity is for sheep. We refuse to be mere spectators in life.

SELF-RELIANCE
    We depend on our own strength and character to achieve our goals. We seek only the freedom necessary to our quest, whatever it may be.

PERSEVERANCE
    We hold to our path until its completion and are not ashamed to be strong. The cult of the anti-hero will find no support in us, and the gods we follow are not for the weak.

There's quite a nice link here

http://www.vinland.org/heathen/mt/tyr2.html

that deals with Tyrian spirituality. This is particularly appropriate to me.

In basic terms, Tyrian Spirituality involves always trying to do what is right, what is fair, what is just, and what is honest, with special stress on service to, and protection of the community, both the Ásatrú community and the general community in which one lives.
    UU wrote:
    Finally, do people become Pagan by just believing in it or do they have to do something like the way Christians have baptisms.

I've not gone through any ceremonies. When I came to asatru I wasn't looking for any kind of belief at all. A number of things all came together though and pointed me towards asatru, and Tyr specifically. It just felt right to me. The gods called, and I heard :)
    UU wrote:
    I know I'm comparing "unorganised" faiths to "organised" faiths but it's the only way I can understand and also what are the main types of Pagan religions as they all very much seem the same to me. (I know, I'm ignorant!)

Cheers!

Well, there are a few stickies at the top of this forum which should give you some basics. If you wish to know more of asatru, I'll happily discuss things further, and answer what I can. The best way to work on that ignorance you feel is to ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Thanks a million Hairyheretic,

Asatru sounds like an interesting spirituality although I don't believe in many gods and goddesses, the nine noble virtues of asatru sound very down to earth and if more people followed something like this, the world may be a better place. I am a Unitarian Universalist which is an open faith that is based on Christianity and Judaism traditions but people in it are open to hold their own diverse beliefs and some people in my church have different Heathen beliefs.

Myself? I look to all faiths for inspiration in giving me ideas in what to believe. Although, I highly respect heathens as they were the ones (and still are) who kept the balance of male and female but unfortunately the feminism was destroyed for years (and still is) by the Christian Church, Islam, etc.:(.

UU wrote:
    Thanks a million Hairyheretic,

No worries.
    UU wrote:
    Asatru sounds like an interesting spirituality

It works for me :)
    UU wrote:
    although I don't believe in many gods and goddesses, the nine noble virtues of asatru sound very down to earth and if more people followed something like this, the world may be a better place.

I think most spiritual beliefs (I say most since I'm hardly familiar with all of them that are out there) have core values that are good, and would help most people along.

Its only when people get involved that beliefs get turned into pretzels and used to justify some less than spiritual stuff.
    UU wrote:
    I am a Unitarian Universalist which is an open faith that is based on Christianity and Judaism traditions but people in it are open to hold their own diverse beliefs and some people in my church have different Heathen beliefs.

Interesting. Isn't that something of a contradiction in terms? If the belief is based off the Judeo-christian root, wouldn't that limit them to a sole god?

Or perhaps I'm picking up what you're saying wrongly.
    UU wrote:
    Myself? I look to all faiths for inspiration in giving me ideas in what to believe.

I believe that everyone has a right to believe in whoever or whatever they please, as long as they're not hurting anyone else.

I believe that there is wisdom to be found in every belief system, some of it common to a number of beliefs, some unique.

There are people whose belief has inspired and led them to be examples to the world around them.

And there are those in every belief who are fscking nutters, and will happily twist whatever the tenets of their belief are into justifying whatever wrongdoing they do.

For myself, asatru is my path. It is where I belong.
    UU wrote:
    Although, I highly respect heathens as they were the ones (and still are) who kept the balance of male and female but unfortunately the feminism was destroyed for years (and still is) by the Christian Church, Islam, etc.:(.

Heathens see each god and goddess as separate entities, not reflecting of a single god and goddess. I believe that is more of a pagan viewpoint (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some see the differing Gods and Goddess as the Many faces of the Gods.
    Personally they are not , even Gods who's apprent brief of office are very very
    differnt when you are dealing with them personally.

I wake each morning and pary to my Gods and talk ( and argue ) with them.
    I mark the turning of the seasons and the passage of the moon.
    The pratice of my faith is no in dutiful devotions and offering at the correct time
    but how I mindfully live my life and affect those arround me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

There's quite a nice link here

http://www.vinland.org/heathen/mt/tyr2.html

I found that very informative, you seem to follow a very nobel path. I was very interested in the following info on the site:
    Some who study comparative religion have remarked that are some similarities between Tyrian Spirituality and the Zen form of Buddhism, that Tyrian spirituality is "the Zen of Ásatrú," but there are also many differences.

Could you elaborate a little on the Zen aspect, thanks

• Advertisement

Well, I'm no expert on Zen, but I think it would be perhaps a sense of detachment. There are many things that will occur over which you have absolutely no control, so why waste your time and energy in worrying about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Meathcat

I'm what you might call a Neopagan. I started off practicing Wicca a number of years ago and the more I read, the more I felt happier following my own path. I believe that if you can be the best person you can be in life, why worry about what constitutes 'practicing' a religion? I do believe in a goddess - goddess worship was in place long long before any form of Christianity! - and I believe in the spirit of the earth. If I want to talk about practicing anything, I suppose going for a long walk is what I practice! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Specifically I would refer to myself as a Tyr's-man. By this I mean that I am dedicated to Tyr .. not exclusively, but it is Tyr I feel my own character closest to, and the one I work best with.
    Interesting. I have, ever since a somewhat misguided exercise in godform assumption in my mid teens, had a close affinity with the archetype of Fenrir Unbound. Does that make use enemies? ;)

Sapien wrote:
    Interesting. I have, ever since a somewhat misguided exercise in godform assumption in my mid teens, had a close affinity with the archetype of Fenrir Unbound. Does that make use enemies? ;)

Not unless I tie you up and you try biting my hand off, but I don't really know you well enough to try anything like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I am a druid, although I've previously had an interest in Wicca and Alchemy and was originally a Catholic.

I follow the eightfold path of the year and also the full moon as the main times of ritual with meditations or prayer etc whenever I feel it is needed. The most important thing I feel is to live what I believe which is equally important for Christians, Muslims, Jews etc.

For pagans that means showing respect for nature not just 'getting in touch with the goddess' once a week or something - for it to be real you have to really revere and experience the power of the land and the forces of nature, be part of it rather than someone who just exploits it. There are a lot of armchair pagans around who talk the talk but don't live it, it's kinda fashionable to be a pagan and a lot of people like the ego trip of doing spells.

As with all spiritual paths it should be about experiencing God and right living and not being powerful or cool or other such superficial matters.

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement