Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Blue Screen of Death :(

• 28-10-2005 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Just this week, when logging on to my laptop, the following message appears:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x F852b15F,0xF7055AD8, 0x00000000)

NDIS.sys- Address F852B15F base at F852A000, Datestamp 3f7e7ca0

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete

It's a Windows XP system on a Dell Inspiron 1150. Now it doesn't appear all the time, just 3 times out of 4 log-on attempts.

What is it, what causes it, and how can I fix it?

Cheers and thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sounds like a RAM issue, look at the link..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the blue screen of death can also appear when the registry is screwed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

NDIS is part of the networking sub-system. Have you installed anything recently that would interact with the network (e.g. virus scanner that supports monitoring inbound/outbound requests, a firewall, a new network card etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0.0 about 10 days ago; it was roughly a week after the installation that the trouble began.
    I have had a wireless network card installed since the middle of September with no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

First off I'd suggest booting up in Safe mode with no networking (hold down F8 during startup and select the appropriate safe mode option when asked). Then, disable McAfree and reboot to normal mode to see if things stabilize. When you say you had a network card "installed" are you talking about a PCMCIA card that plugs in or did you get an internal upgrade? If its external, again try booting up without the card plugged in just to see if things are stable.

• Advertisement

Yes, a PCMCIA card which plugs in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

guessing here - I take it you are patched up to date and have checked for malware because network/internet kinda go together.

was the card in the laptop when XP was installed ?

Remove card.
    uninstall network card - if not using anyother pcmcia cards remove pcmcia controller,
    reboot to find the pcmcia controller
    reboot
    pop in card - try default windows drivers, then latest manufacturers ones.
    xilinx and 3com cards can be a pain trying to match card and driver since so many similar but different models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

klong wrote:
    I installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0.0 about 10 days ago; it was roughly a week after the installation that the trouble began.
    I have had a wireless network card installed since the middle of September with no hassle.

...this is a known issue.

There are two patches avaiable for 8.0i, one for Server 2003 and one for XP.

Contact McAfee or use your grant number to login and download the patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

AVG does the job grand for me. Not a single virus or spyware yet :) PC works like a charm all you really need to do is have virus firewall spyware checker and windows fully updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Try CHKDSK.

Boot to the Command Prompt via the Windows XP install disk. Type CHKDSK and that should fix any hard drive problems.

• Advertisement

layke wrote:
    ...this is a known issue.

There are two patches avaiable for 8.0i, one for Server 2003 and one for XP.

Contact McAfee or use your grant number to login and download the patch.

Ive looked at the McAfee website and I can't find mention of the patch you mention.

IT in college put 8.0i onto my laptop- I suppose I'd have to get the grant number you mention from them?

theexis wrote:
    First off I'd suggest booting up in Safe mode with no networking (hold down F8 during startup and select the appropriate safe mode option when asked). Then, disable McAfree and reboot to normal mode to see if things stabilize. When you say you had a network card "installed" are you talking about a PCMCIA card that plugs in or did you get an internal upgrade? If its external, again try booting up without the card plugged in just to see if things are stable.

Your solution appears to be working, thanks.

Just need to get McAfee up and running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

your problem there is The Dell biggist Pice of **** Ever Created

Advertisement