Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow and 56k

• 29-10-2005 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Well I gota move soon enough and won't have my bb anymore, I don't really wanna give up wowing, am on bladefist.

Im just wondering is wow on 56k horrid or is it easily playable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I can't say I've even attempted, but I couldn't imagine it will run anything other than "horribly".
    Remember you'll be downloading patches aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Except for the very frequent and often quite large patches, WoW would be easily playable on 56k. Typically it uses about 1.5kdown and 0.5k up, iirc. 56k can easily supply that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

from my experiance with 56k if your thinking of doing MC and all the other end game instances then id say forget about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

MC and PVE raiding is still still doable. Attempting PVP tho brings latency skyrocketing. Simply entering Alterac Valley often just leads to constant disconnects. Ironforge at peak times is a pain too... I did Domo on 56k once..there is a slight delay, but its easy to compensate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I've played it over GPRS with latency sometimes hitting 4 seconds. Instances and PVP are more or less impossible, but you can grind and quest without a problem. I'd imagine you'd be able to play on 56k quite happilly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Except for the very frequent and often quite large patches, WoW would be easily playable on 56k. Typically it uses about 1.5kdown and 0.5k up, iirc. 56k can easily supply that.

I have a 4mb line and wow lags for me sometimes. I know thats not my fault and it is often the line or the game but WoW uses a lot of bandwidth for one program (about as much as 5 eve online clients).

it depends on your 56k connection also. If its a 56k connection in a large town or city you should be ok (maybe) but if your in the middle of nowhere then f*ck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

i played for a while on 56k.....grinding and small instances will be fine but anything big and alot of players gets a bit laggy!

You should think about sat dsl! cheap and decent connection.

make sure if u use 56k try and get a program to connect as high as possible.

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

ssh wrote:
    I've played it over GPRS with latency sometimes hitting 4 seconds. Instances and PVP are more or less impossible, but you can grind and quest without a problem. I'd imagine you'd be able to play on 56k quite happilly.
    You sir, are an addict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

sunzz wrote:
    am on bladefist.

Heh, bladefist is bad enough with a 3meg connection from NTL - I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it on 56k ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

ive played it on a 56k modem .. connected at 33k.. it plays fine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

dlofnep wrote:
    Heh, bladefist is bad enough with a 3meg connection from NTL - I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it on 56k ;)

afaik thats a graphics/code problem rather than a lag/latency problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

are you joking? i'm on a 3mb line and when i'm in IF it takes about 30 seconds to load up all the players and NPC's in the AH lol

Advertisement