Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 29-10-2005 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

just wondering how long the test takes, as in from when i leave the car in to when i can collect it,

Also how long it takes for the time i book it till the time I have to drop the car in,

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Takes about an hour as I recall and you wait at the test centre while the car is being tested. AFAIK you must not leave the centre wile the car is being tested. They have a waiting room with windows so you can watch your car progressing down the line. They send you a letter with a proposed date and then you must go and confirm it. You'll get all the info in the post with the details or check out www.ncts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Took me a half hour this morning, but they were quiet. I went down the shop and got a sandwich, by the time I came up they were onto the suspension checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BrianD wrote:
    Takes about an hour as I recall and you wait at the test centre while the car is being tested. AFAIK you must not leave the centre wile the car is being tested. They have a waiting room with windows so you can watch your car progressing down the line. They send you a letter with a proposed date and then you must go and confirm it. You'll get all the info in the post with the details or check out www.ncts.ie
    It seems they don't send out the letters till you are a couple of months late for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

sorry just to add,

how long does it take from the date you book it untill you are called in for the test, ?

Depends, you take what dates they are offering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could always get someone else to go in for you, it doesn't have to be the car owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ok thanks guys, sorry but i have 1 more question,,

Are you allowed to drive a car that doesnt have a NCT but had one that just expired,

the reason i asked is i'm about to buy a car that hasn't got an NCT. and i'll need to drive it, can i drive and book the test ? or do i have to wait until it passes before i can drive it again ?

No one will bother you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

NeVeR wrote:
    the reason i asked is i'm about to buy a car that hasn't got an NCT. and i'll need to drive it, can i drive and book the test ? or do i have to wait until it passes before i can drive it again ?
    When you book you'll get a letter in a day or two confirming the date, I've heard of people carrying said letter with them in case they were stopped, I don't know if it'd do any good or not, but I'd imagine you'd be fine once you explain you've just bought the car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai don't really care about the NCT, nor does the motor tax system. The only ones who may be concerned are the insurance companys in the event of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I have my NCT test tomorrow but one of two rear licence plate bulbs is out, will i fail the NCT for this?.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have my NCT test tomorrow but one of two rear licence plate bulbs is out, will i fail the NCT for this?.
    Yes.

There used to be an honour system where they'd pass the car for minor defects but too few people fixed the faults.

The only good news is that if that is the only fault then since you won't need a lane there shouldn't be a retest fee.

Or you could ask your local garage / motor factor (not flashy box shifting motor stores) to fit the bulb for you for a couple a' quid.

Buy the NCT manual from Govt publications office in molesworth street for a tenner so you can do a walk through on the obvious stuff like lights and rust and wipers and window cracks (if any get your insurance to fix)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks, i will drop into a garage on my way home to get replacement bulbs, the NCT is tomorrow and i believe this is the only outstanding thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Buy the NCT manual from Govt publications office in molesworth street for a tenner so you can do a walk through on the obvious stuff like lights and rust and wipers and window cracks (if any get your insurance to fix)

or download it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

NeVeR wrote:
    just wondering how long the test takes, as in from when i leave the car in to when i can collect it,

Also how long it takes for the time i book it till the time I have to drop the car in,

thanks.

I think it depends on your car, its age, whether it is its first NCT or not. Got mine done two weeks ago. Dropped it in, went to get a coffee, came back 15 miutes later and it was done and had passed. It was 9.30 on a Saturday morning which may have sped it up a bit. Booked it 3 weeks before that.

Advertisement