Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insured to drive someobdy elses car?

Options
  • 29-10-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

HI, not sure if this is the right place for this question but i was wondering if im insured to drive somebody elses car. Axa have told me im insured but im not too sure how insured i am! The thing is, my girlfriend just bought a car but is too nervous to drive it home. I was going to drive it for her but im not sure if my axa insurance will cover her car if i have an accident, if u get my drift. I have a full license and have fully comp insurance but does that insurance transfer over to her car if im driving it? Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Hi, i was wondering if im insured to drive somebody elses car. Axa have told me im insured but im not too sure how insured i am! The thing is, my girlfriend just bought a car but is too nervous to drive it home. I was going to drive it for her but im not sure if my axa insurance will cover her car if i have an accident, if u get my drift. I have a full license and have fully comp insurance but does that insurance transfer over to her car if im driving it? Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You'll really need to check with Axa to be certain. Most likely, you will have the legal minimum 3rd party cover when you are driving her car. But you wont have fully comp, so if you write off her car due to your error, tough.

And duplicating posts isn't a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As far as I'm aware it's not that simple. Since nobody is already insure under her car, then you will have to ring AXA and do a temp transfer. You can then drive it under your policy.

However, if she is insured to drive the car, I think you are able, with her permission:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Yeah sorry about duplicating the posts i saw this forum after the modified cars one and thought it would be a more apt place to ask a question. I tried contacting axa but they are only available monday to friday for queries and the car has to be collected today. Ah ill just tell the girlfriend im insured and hope for the best, cheers for the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you have your policy document to hand, just check it. It will be written specifically on it that you are insured to drive other people's car. I am with Hibernian (through one Direct) and I've 3rd party. However, I don't believe there's a stipulation that the car you are driving must have an insuracne policy on it. Once it's not hired to you or owned by you you're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Most comprehensive insurance covers you to drive other cars. However, there are two things to bear in mind. One is that you are only covered to drive the car third-party, so any damage you do to the car you're driving won't be covered, only the damage to the car you hit will. Secondly, your policy may stipulate that the car you're driving must be insured also, check you policy conditions.

So I've wasted my time replying to the other thread, then? Bah!!

jayok wrote:
    If you have your policy document to hand, just check it. It will be written specifically on it that you are insured to drive other people's car. I am with Hibernian (through one Direct) and I've 3rd party. However, I don't believe there's a stipulation that the car you are driving must have an insuracne policy on it. Once it's not hired to you or owned by you you're fine.
    Nope, it's dependent on your policy, jayok. Mine specifically states the other car must be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

its different for every insurance company, but in general if your covered fully comp on your car you probably are covered 3rd party on your gf's car. Check your policy before you drive it

Thread moved to motors

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also be aware that most policies will state that you need to have permission from the owner of the car, not the driver. So if, for e.g. your mate drives a company car, you're not insured to drive it unless he's authorised to loan it to you on behalf of the owner (the company, or usually Hertz or Avis). Same goes for your mates who drive their parent's/sibiling's vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's not only with fully comp policies either, I've a TPFT policy and I'm able to drive another car up to 1.6L which is already insured by the car owner with their permission and would be driving it under a TPFT policy. If the car wasn't already insure by the car owner I could do a temp transfer to that car but in that perioid I'm not insured to drive my own car. Best just to check your policy even though you've already probably driven the car:o

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Just get a tow rope and a mate and tow the car home. The car being towed will not have to be insured once its being towed. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

You also need to make sure that the car you are going to drive is in the same category or lower then your own. They leave you go into a category a little above sometimes also.

E.g. if you are insured in a 1.4 Golf you are not insured to drive a Ferrari, even with owners consent... A bit extreme example but you get the idea :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

t5pwr wrote:
    You also need to make sure that the car you are going to drive is in the same category or lower then your own. They leave you go into a category a little above sometimes also.

E.g. if you are insured in a 1.4 Golf you are not insured to drive a Ferrari, even with owners consent... A bit extreme example but you get the idea :)
    Every policy of mine that offered the ability to drive other cars (not owned by myself) never mentioned that it must be in the same category or lower.

Maybe all my cars (incl the old fiesta) were in the top categorys so they didn't bother stating it!

kbannon wrote:
    Every policy of mine that offered the ability to drive other cars (not owned by myself) never mentioned that it must be in the same category or lower.
    Same here. To be allowed state something like that, they'd need to fully disclose the classification system, which would open a whole other can of worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Well when i bought my first car 2 years ago, we collected it from the garage i bought it from & my boyfriend drove it home as i was still nervous about driving,Now in this case my boyfriend had fully comp insurance & he was with Axa & so was i, this meant we were both covered with the same insurance company os if to say we had an accident on the way home we would be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I'm with Axa and I have fully comp. insurance on any car I drive. Its something Axa do and part of the reason I am with them so I presume that is the case here but it should be on the policy. Normally its 3rd party but each policy can be different.

Also one thing to watch for is that my wife's policy states that she was insured 3rd party on every car except a car belonging to a spouse or partner. So be mindful of that. Its since been updated to a policy holder and spouse option.

Also most do stipulate the car is insured already before they insure you. Else you could insure an old Micra and have a Ferrari which isn't insured and drive it off your own Micra insurance.

kbannon wrote:

Maybe all my cars (incl the old fiesta) were in the top categorys so they didn't bother stating it!

They never stated this to me either until I specifically asked. Next time you are onto them ask and see what answer you get. I am insured with AXA so maybe other companies are different :)

seamus wrote:
    Same here. To be allowed state something like that, they'd need to fully disclose the classification system, which would open a whole other can of worms.

My older car was a category 3 which meant I could drive anything up to a category 6 but not above.

My current car is a category 8 which means that I can drive anything up to that category which the girl said covers most cars and if I was in doubt to ring and check...

So I got that from Axa. Maybe she wasn't supposed to say anything but that's what she told me ;)

t5pwr wrote:
    They never stated this to me either until I specifically asked. Next time you are onto them ask and see what answer you get. I am insured with AXA so maybe other companies are different :)
    Im currently with AIG Europe (through the AA).
    My policy cert states that I can use the car with the reg 97D***** and
    Any other motor car (or motor cycle) being driven by the insured, provided that such vehicle does not belong to the insured and is not hired to the insured under a hire purchase agreement.
    The policy document pretty much states the same except that any passengers on a bike must be in a side-car.

At no point does it say that I can't drive certain cars (other than those already mentioned) and they can't start changing the terms of the contract. There is also no mention of not driving spouse-owned cars. Also no mention that it must be insured before I can drive it.

Its funnmy to read but I do have a 'Cyber Risk' clause whereby they are not liable if my car suffers from a computer virus, worm, logic bomb or trojan horse! Does AVG/Norton/Macafee work with BMWs? :D

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Im currently with AIG Europe (through the AA).
    My policy cert states that I can use the car with the reg 97D***** and

At no point does it say that I can't drive certain cars (other than those already mentioned) and they can't start changing the terms of the contract. There is also no mention of not driving spouse-owned cars. Also no mention that it must be insured before I can drive it.

My policy pretty much says the same but when you call them they have a different story. So I dunno if the writing on the back of the form is just an outline or something :rolleyes:

But if in doubt call and ask as if you have an accident any insurance company will do their best to get out of it :mad:

Maybe there is somone who got themselves into something like this and had an accident that would like to give their story.

I have a contract with them. When opening the contract I had to disclose everything. They too disclosed their details (using the various policy papers). They can't retain certain top secret clauses until I query them!

kbannon wrote:
    I have a contract with them. When opening the contract I had to disclose everything. They too disclosed their details (using the various policy papers). They can't retain certain top secret clauses until I query them!
    Correct. Having consulted my policy document and my certificate of insurance, I'm content that I can drive any other vehicle so long as it doesn't belong to me.

I don't have to ring them to find out if there are any hidden extras as they have had to fully disclose their liability to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

scudster wrote:
    Just get a tow rope and a mate and tow the car home. The car being towed will not have to be insured once its being towed. Problem solved.

Wrong.
    All motor vehicles in use/parked in a public place must be insured.

Advertisement