Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way to View Laptop Avis on TV?

Options
  • 29-10-2005 3:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the current setup in our apartment is that we've got a laptop next to a TV. We want to view DivX files, etc. on the TV.

Previously, I used my PC to do this by using the TV-Out on my GFX card card to connect to the S-Video input on the TV. Unfortunately, my PC is now far away from the PC (in different rooms) so this is no longer an option. Which leads us to the laptop.

Unfortunately, the laptop in question only has a VGA output. The first possibility is thus a VGA/SCART convertor-box thing. These seem quite pricey and somewhat difficult to obtain and I'm not sure what the quality would be like.

The second possibility seems to be somewhat more expensive - a wireless media player. From what I can read of reviews, these still seem to be bereft with problems and not always able to cope with the latest codecs. Since we primarily want to play DivX/XViD files, this doesn't seem to the best idea unless someone knows of a reasonably budgeted-player.

The third option is slightly more cumbersome - a combo DVD/DivX player. This is marred by the fact that we'd have to burn a CD/DVD everytime we wanted to watch a program and by the fact we already have a DVD player (2 in fact). It is, on the other hand, quite a simple setup and using CD-RW/DVD-RWs should make it fairly cost effective.

So is there any other alternative that I've missed out on? Or, if not, are any of the other options above preferrable? What would ye all suggest? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can get a DivX DVD player for about 80 yoyos, and using a DVD+-RW can fit up to 13 episodes of lost etc on one, that's prob the best option, though a tad cumbersome having to burn a dvd / cd everytime.

I have a wireless network at home, and when playing high quality DivX off my main PC's HD on my HTPC downstairs it can be a bit laggy. That using a 54G network. I would be wary of the media senders..........

I have experimented with these VGA Scart converters, and took mine back to peats cos it was sh!t beyond belief. VGA to TV quality was really bad.

Other wise a really really long TV Out cable :O)

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

This is the daddy.... Wireless media Sender! It works a treat, and I'm in love with it.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adapters/Digital+Media+Player/ShowCenter+200.htm

John

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lump wrote:
    This is the daddy.... Wireless media Sender! It works a treat, and I'm in love with it.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adapters/Digital+Media+Player/ShowCenter+200.htm

John
    Yeah I saw that and thought it look pretty but pricey. Is there any noticable lag when transmitting/streaming files off a PC or laptop? And does it have any trouble working with the latest codeecs, etc that are in use on all our cousin's tapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

ixoy wrote:
    Yeah I saw that and thought it look pretty but pricey. Is there any noticable lag when transmitting/streaming files off a PC or laptop? And does it have any trouble working with the latest codeecs, etc that are in use on all our cousin's tapes?

XMBC is superb - store on the unit hd, dvd+r disks or read files over ethernet cables. Also plays trailers etc direct from the web. Supports all codecs - xvid etc - Brilliant.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

ixoy wrote:

There's no problem streaming over ethernet.... Only thing is, if you want to fast forward, it'll buffer some info into the memory, then it'll fast forward, or skip to a certain percent.

It has no problems with codecs, as the software converts using your codecs etc that are installed on the PC.... or it has it's own software conversion thingy that does it.... it works :)

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement