Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c compiler for windows

Options
  • 29-10-2005 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

i need a c compiler for windows, any ideas...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dev C++ is a good IDE/compiler package.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

:D Dam Straight

EDIT:

Oh yea I think its very funny some1 with a signature written in binary asking about what compilers are best. Unless of course you have only ever programmed in unix using assembly then its a valid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Telling someone to just google for an answer isnt exactly keeping with the spirit of boards.ie now is it?

I reccomend Digital Mars C compiler, its very basic but i've never had any probs with it.

http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025604,39054693s,00.htm
    I think its very funny some1 with a signature written in binary asking about what compilers are best. Unless of course you have only ever programmed in unix using assembly then its a valid question.

whats funny?

canker wrote:
    Telling someone to just google for an answer isnt exactly keeping with the spirit of boards.ie now is it?
    On the subject of people being too lazy to do a simple search, have you bothered to read the charter here before whinging about the “spirit of boards.ie”?
    “What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions.”

• Advertisement

Charter shmarter.

Of course I could be totally wrong but I assumed the original poster could search for a compiler without help but wanted some advice based on our experience.

Giving the benifit of the doubt ... maybe that should be in the charter icon5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're looking for a fast professional-grade well-supported fully-featured compiler, then gcc is what you need. It's also cross-platform, so learning it once will allow you to reuse your knowledge on Unix.

It's free too.

See : http://gcc.gnu.org/

canker wrote:
    Of course I could be totally wrong but I assumed the original poster could search for a compiler without help but wanted some advice based on our experience.
    Then he/she should have specified this. We're not playing 20 Questions.

My response gave him/her the answer to the question he/she asked. If this is not what he/she was looking for then he/she can refine his/her question and ask again. This would mean that he/she would then get his/her answer and have learned to be more specific in future when asking a question and I wouldn’t have to waste my time explaining this again to another would-be white knight. Everyone wins.

If he was too lazy to Google, on the other hand, then my response was mild.

Whatever, I dont care really, just trying to be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dev C++ is a good IDE/compiler package.
    i agree brilliant free compiler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

sorry for being quite vague originally. i was used to linux but, i needed a compiler for when i was back home, i'd googled compilers, but the one i went for left me unimpressed, basically, it didnt work!
    thanks for the advice

No worries - as suggested I'd go for Dev C++ if I were you. It's a GCC port with a nice IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

No worries - as suggested I'd go for Dev C++ if I were you. It's a GCC port with a nice IDE.

I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Alternatively, Microsoft make the Visual C++ compiler (tho not Visual C++ itself) available free; it has an impressively horrid command-line interface, but otherwise works reasonably.

And as to quality of OP; it could be far worse...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Been using Visual C++ 6.0 since it came out, six or eight years ago and have had no significant problems to report with it; mind you, I don't have religious problems with microsoft; ymmv.

VC++ 2005 was rtm'd a few days back -- I installed a beta last week, but didn't spend much time with it. Seemed mostly ok in the hour or two that I fiddled with it.

And its command line interface? Considerably less horrid than gcc's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

robindch wrote:
    And its command line interface? Considerably less horrid than gcc's!

*blinks*

You've USED it, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've heard good things about Code::Blocks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> You've USED it, right?

Yep, quite a bit actually. No problems. Mind you, I am using JPsoft's 4nt command processor instead of the weak-kneed cmd.exe...

Advertisement