Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147's any problems?

Options
  • 29-10-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Really like the look of them ,and am in the market for a used 2002/2003 model. Is there anything dodgy about them/alfas in general. I know some people here seem to advise people to stay away from alfas, is that a general opinion in the motor trade?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was looking at an Alfa 147 myself, I'd heard all the error story's but thought that was just an old tale. However after doing a bit of research i.e. reading reviews and talking to a few owners I decided against buying one.

The new 147 seems to have improved in some area's but still suffers from reliability issues, I was particulary interested in the SeleSpeed version with the eletronic gear change on the steering wheel but every single review by an owner I read said it had failed, including one guy who said he was trying to overtake a lorry and every time he tried to change gear it went into neutral!!.

Nice car and reasonably priced but need to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Alfa's are all...blah blah blah...glorified Fiats...blah blah blah...Italian style...blah blah blah...touch with bargepole...blah blah blah...dodgy electrics...blah blah blah...Italian flair...blah blah blah...JD Power surveys...blah blah blah...sexy...blah blah blah...build quality...blah blah blah...wishbones...blah blah blah...Ferrari-esque engines...blah blah blah...dealer network...blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I was eyeing one a my next car, they really are a beautiful car but my head won over my heart and now I've settled on a 02 Hyundai Coupe, their more expensive & I'll have to wait awhile before I can afford one but I just couldn’t take a chance on the 147 after all the stories I've heard about alfa's.

Really its down to how important reliability is to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

A half Italian mate of mine has an 05 one and no bits have broke or come off yet like his last two new Fiats. Its seems to be mostly the bigger rep type with the hidden rear door handle (157?) seen on the back of many AA trucks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

These aren't a bad car by any means once you avoid selespeed models ... I worked for Fiat and we had very few problems with these:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

An Alfa is like a blond with a short skirt, you can bring her out for a test drive, but don't bring her home to your mother!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Buy one with a dealer warranty if possible to put your mind at ease. That said I've had 3 Alfas over the last 4 years (2 x 156 and 1x 147) without any problems at all. I currently own a 147 1.6TS - lovely to drive and behaves well on all road conditions.

If you do decide to opt for one I'm selling mine with only 7000 miles on the clock and warranty intact.

ZEN

dceire wrote:
    . . . . but my head won over my heart and now I've settled on a 02 Hyundai Coupe . . .

Sounds to me like your head needs a service !!!

ZEN

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sounds to me like your head needs a service !!!

because he chose a more reliable car than alfa muck??
    Hyundai trounce all over Alfa in every department.

Have you ever owned an Alfa ? Have you ever owned a Hyundai ? Or maybe you're just basing you "facts" on here say and urban myth !

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dcully wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Especially in style / design, engines and driving characteristics, amongst others...

Yes i did own an Alfa but never again.
    My sis in law owns a Hyundai and never had issues with it where as i had no end of issues with my 156.
    Alfas look better ok but thats it.
    Alfa/fiat all the one ,both are pathetic in reliability stakes.
    Especially in style / design, engines and driving characteristics
    Atleast a hyundai is reliable.
    You have your so called style,design,engine.
    Give me a car that wont break down :)
    Alfas are consistently year in year out bottom of the pile of customer satisfaction along with fiat,nuff said.

btw L5 asked if alfas were dodgy,he didnt ask about so called "style / design, engines and driving characteristics, amongst others..." as you put it :rolleyes:

Dcully wrote:
    Give me a car that wont break down :)
    Dcully wrote:
    Yes i did own an Alfa but never again

Who advised you to buy an Alfa? They should be shot. If you are only interested in reliability, you should have bought a Toyota

I did buy a toyota after it :)

Dcully wrote:
    I did buy a toyota after it :)

LOL, fair play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My father has a '04 147 2.0 manual. It's given absolutely no problems whatsoever apart from an unquenchable thirst for fuel - and that can be explained by the way he drives it. I've driven it and thought it was a great car to drive but having sung it's praises I'd still have to think twice about buying one in case I got 'a bad one'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

alfa 147 problems are ; rear suspension links and swinging arm bushes, front wishbone bushes, front swinging arms and generally anything else you care to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah all the usual well informed alfa posts :D about time we havent had one in ages

If you want a beautiful car that will bring a smile to your face when driven and you are prepared to look after it properly

If you are concerned with reliability buy a honda or toyota and make sure not to nod off at the wheel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Buy one that's been looked after and with a warranty and you should be fine. Personally I wouldn't touch one, then again this is based completely on word-of-mouth, my dad had a Fiat 124 and had never been fitter then when he had tht car, he was constantly running and walking into work.

And since I was born we've only had Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and Hyundai. Only problems were an alternator dying after 10 years on the MR2, and the alarm messing up the electrics on a brand new Spacewagon in 99.

If the car doesn't feel right, or the seler seems unusually keen to get rid of it, walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

aib have banned them as company cars due to unreliability meaning none of the people who had them showed up for work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Cyrus wrote:
    ah all the usual well informed alfa posts :D about time we havent had one in ages

If you want a beautiful car that will bring a smile to your face when driven and you are prepared to look after it properly

If you are concerned with reliability buy a honda or toyota and make sure not to nod off at the wheel ;)
    i think the likelyhood of nodding of at the wheel would be more likely in a fiat/alfa than in a japanese car as you would spend so much time at the side of the road waiting for breakdown assistance. style is'nt going to get you to work on time!!!

It's odd that when one bad car is reported then they must all be bad. Every marque has it's bad days, for example I know one Hyundai Coupe ('03) owner who's car had a mind of its own when it came to steering when it almost killed him !

I have 2 personal friends who have owned Meganes and swore never again after the first - a '99 Coupe 1.6 fractured a camshaft after just 25,000 miles which Renault point blank refused to replace on warranty even though their garage serviced the car (cost 900 punts), and another where one by one the ignitor coils died leaving him stranded on 4 seperate occasions - I have heard countless other accounts of similar problem with Renault yet they are higher in the league than Alfa ?! Fiats by the way are rated higher than Ford yet they are always criticised.

I have personally owned 3 Alfas and have had no problems what so ever with any of them and they were not all new cars either.

In contrast I have owned 3 Hondas - '89 Civic - 91 Integra XSi and I still own a 90 Prelude Si4WS. The Civic needed the carbs replaced, the Integra dropped a valve into no. 3 piston destroying the engine (Cost 800 punts) and I don't know where to start with the Prelude (4 grand so far - but then I didn't buy it for it's reliability) yet Honda are top of the league !!

The Volkswagen Polo Fox I owned put me off them for life, f*****g wouldn't start on the winter mornings . . ever ! Needed to be pushed. A Mazda 323 I had was like driving a mattress - had the pulling power to boot.

Truthfully though you don't buy an Alfa when reliability is your prime criteria, just like Audi, Renault, Saab, Mercedes and several other better percieved brands.

If you are interested in a car that looks great, performs like a dream and is great to drive - i.e. if you want to enjoy it - then don't buy a Toyota buy an Alfa. If your prime criteria is resale value and cost to repair then buy a Corolla.

My 2C !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cyrus wrote:

Maybe Alfa Romeo's reputation for terrible reliability is about as true as noding off at the wheel of a Honda or Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maybe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

lomb wrote:
    aib have banned them as company cars due to unreliability meaning none of the people who had them showed up for work

and BoI have banned Volvos from their fleet. What does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I had a 147 loaner, I found it not a good drive.
    The torque steer was awful, under hard acceleration it was all you could do to keep it in a straight line.
    It understeered in a woefully leany way around corners.
    Looked nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you want a car that you love to drive, that looks great and performs wonderfully buy a 147. But beware, it may need a few more bulb replacements than your average Jap car.

If you want a car that has less chance fo giving you some trouble, but will bore you to tears and is as comfortable as a dublin bus, buy a Toyota Corolla.

QED.

Once again:
    An Alfa 147 that has been looked after properly will be 10 times more reliable than any Jap car that hasn't been looked after properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

My dad used to own an Alfa 146 1.6TS before he bought his Focus. These have basically the same motor as that in the 147 1.6TS and it did 80,000 miles no problems, except for a screeching belt that just needed tightening at the cost of €50. Just get it serviced and look after it and you'll be fine!

The Hyundai Coupé is only parallelled by the Suzuki Vitara in terms of gayness... a hairdresser's car if there ever was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Dcully wrote:

Cause ALL hyundai coupe's are great:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317614

And ALL 147s are not:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Alfa+Romeo_147.html

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

These threads are great! :)

Always watch the taxi drivers; has anyone ever seen an Alfa Taxi?

I am contemplating a new car at the moment (Octavia or Corolla), and I find certain comments about Toyotas amusing. The 147 looks nicer than a corolla (subjective), but there its benefits seem to stop. I think though the new corolla is a nicer drive, and a more comfortable car. It also holds its value, and the engine doesnt have to be removed to do the cam belt.

Nodding off at the wheel has more to do with the road to work TBH. I have great fun with my 1995 Mondeo TD with lovely twisty windy roads every day!!!

Advertisement