Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone read the dive by Pipin Ferreras?

• 29-10-2005 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I just finished this book last night. Amazing book about the freediver Pipin Ferreras and his wife Audrey Mestre. Fantastic read and immensely sad. Seemingly James Cameron is making a movie about their life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Must get that, Have you got an ISBN number for that mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

ISBN: 0007190778 Looks like a great book, think im going to order it!

Just bought it on ebay for €7.63 new hardback

there are 183 Copies left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4579867435&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Well I received the Book yesterday in the post so good feedback will be going to the seller, just read the first chapter and im hooked already great book "DAVEG" so far :-) anyone thats in to snorkling or Diving its a must!

• Advertisement

Glad your enjoying it Voodoo. I couldn't put it down tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pipin is an egotist and lost his wife due to poor planning and safety checks.
    I wouldn't recommend following him.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Pipin is an egotist and lost his wife due to poor planning and safety checks.
    I wouldn't recommend following him.

I agree. Imo he was 99% to blame for the death of his wife due to his obsession with freediving. However I thought that his love for his wife was so poignantly described in his book that I could not but feel sad for him when his wife died. She sounded like she was a really beautiful person. Extremely sad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

-- snip --

I'm removing this link as it is shows footage of the dive in which Audrey Mestre died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If ye are interested in books on freediving try Carlos Eyles book , The Blue Edge, some of the stuff is a bit flakey but no more than the average freediver;)
    I myself prefer spearfishing rather than out and out Freediving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Started and finished reading a book about Andrea Doria while away the last few days.

A good read but some of the technical issues they covered were IMO not done very well.

However if you ignore that (its not really a book about techinical diving) then it is a worth while read. Pity the wreck is breaking up now. I'd of loved to get a crack at her.

<edit>
    ISBN: 0743400623
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slycat

Hi guys,

Have to agree that Pep really pushed his wife's limits. It almost seems like he wrote this book to convince himself that he wasn't to blame or to excuse his actions. It is such a tragic story though. They were true ocean lovers. Took a lot of courage to write the book in fairness.

Advertisement