Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 4 problem

Options
  • 29-10-2005 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Just bought it today and tried it out. Evertything went well for a few minutes until the machine gun.
    As soon as I try to use the zoom function the game crashes to the desktop. I've tried two different computers and still the same thing.
    Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Don't know exactly what causes it but I saw a thread on esreality.com about it last week. so maybe you can find the answer there.

First thing I would do though, is change the zoom from normal zoom to a toggle. I'm not sure of the command straight off but its something like cl_toggleZoom 1 - check the Upset Chaps guide for the right command.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

May be a long shot, but you may have your button3 mouse button bound to switching applications (ALT+TAB) in Windows.

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Thank you both for the suggestions.

My third button on the mouse is not bound to anything like ALT+TAB. In fact it is the second button I use, but the third button has the same function of zooming.
    Rather than just switching out of it, it just splutters and dies. Quake4.exe has left the building.

Anyway, I've since then toned the graphical quality down to 'medium', and this seems to have done the trick nicely. I'll try and download the latest catalyst drivers (10.8 MB on a 56Kbps modem! God help me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fredjones

try the omegaware drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Ive came accross thats prob as well, i use the omegaware and it stoped it crashing but it still causes some jerkyness during the play, i think a fix will be needed in the upgrades

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Run the program with +set com_allowConsole 1 and then use set com_showFPS "1" ...

The jerkyness will just be your FPS crashing when it gets a bit busy ...
    Upgrade or graphics lowering time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Seion

Hi,

I'm currently trudging through Q4 and it's doing my head in. I'm running it on a brand new Dell Dimension 3000. It's obviously not a games machine, but it does have 1 gig of Ram and a P4 2.8ghz processor, which seems to be pretty meaty to me. However, my major problem seems to be that Q4 doesn't like my bog-standard Intel graphics adaptor.

The game keeps crashing and freezing even at the lowest possible graphics settings - am I just damned or is there anything I can do to make this run?

(On a tangent, I'm mildly pissed off that the box doesn't carrry a clearer warning that the game may be virtually unplayable without the right grpahics hardware. It lists the supported chipsets, but how many people wander around with their chipset information in their head? I certainly don't . . .)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Seion wrote:
    but how many people wander around with their chipset information in their head? I certainly don't . . .)

Im sure I could point out a few around here that would answer your question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Seion wrote:
    Hi,
    However, my major problem seems to be that Q4 doesn't like my bog-standard Intel graphics adaptor.

Answered your own question there. I dont think you will be able to run any modern game with that graphics chip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Seion wrote:
    The game keeps crashing and freezing even at the lowest possible graphics settings - am I just damned or is there anything I can do to make this run?

In short, no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement