Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Problem Installing Windows 98

• 29-10-2005 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi

I want to reinstall Windows 98 on a machine which was upgraded to Windows XP when serviced.

Computer spec :
    128 ram
    8 GB
    Pentium 2 450mhz

You can tell by the spec that the machine is not powerful enough to run XP.
    Tried running Win 98 cd in XP but it said you have to restart the computer in dos to install.

Booted the machine with Win 98 cd in dos, came to a blue screen which said formatting c: then came error message put cd in d: and try again. The cd drive is the e: not the d: pressed F3 to exit back to dos, changed it to e: and entered setup, it said it needed 7.4 GB in c: but when i checked there was 7.7 GB in my computer c: properties.

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do please let me know.

Cheers

Talk to you later

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluesriff wrote:
    Pentium 2 450mhz

If anyone has any ideas ..
    whoever put XP on that should be shot
    - you can't put XP OEM on a PII and a non-OEM license is worth a lot more than the machine
    - anyone who stuck XP on a PII with 128MB is way out of touch
    - if the filesystem was upgraded to NFTS then you can't undo without a lot of work or risky utils (I've seen partition magic screw up doing that)

If the partition is NTFS and you don't mind loosing all your data then use FDISK on the windows 98 CD to delete the partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Bluesriff

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

How do check if the file system was upgraded to NFTS and if it wasn't what type of file system should be there? As far as I know it had Windows 2000 on it before it was upgraded to XP.

Could you explain more about what a partition is and the procedure of deleting the partition by using a floopy disk on the Windows cd?

Cheers

Talk to you later

Advertisement