Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAF head on the block ? Merged with all sorts of Ferguson is finished threads

• 29-10-2005 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well after that humping by Middlesborough and the poor performance over all this season, no trophies to speak of in a while, will Al be given his marching orders at United or will they just not renew at the end of the season ?

Who would United fans like to see fill his boots ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They can't possibly sack him after what he's done for the club. Waiting until the end of the season seems more likely. Only the FAI would sack him in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well after that humping by Middlesborough and the poor performance over all this season, no trophies to speak of in a while, will Al be given his marching orders at United or will they just not renew at the end of the season ?

Who would United fans like to see fill his boots ?

I think most will say Marty O'Neill. Even though he's ruled himself out of any job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

His inabilty to sign a decent central midfielder is coming back to haunt him.
    Alan Smith? Please.
    Scholes has had a dramatic loss of form.
    Keane is too old.

Look at it this way - any one of the Liverpool CM would walk onto the Utd. team right now, including Sissoko and Hamann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Somewhat premature to sack him but they have not really been anywhere near as good since he originally announced his retirement..

Somewhat premature to sack him but they have not really been anywhere near as good since he originally announced his retirement..

Jesus, that's true.

• Advertisement

btw, I kept telling my ManU mates that VdSar wasn't as good as they were saying and would fcuk-up at least 3 times to lose them points. Today is no.1.

As for Rio, words can't express his ordinary this player is. Maybe they should put him in CM ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

He won't be sacked. Were that to happen, the glazers would know that any trouble they've had wrt protests and trouble would be repeated ten fold.

I could easily see him leaving at the end of the season though.

As for O'Neill, He hasn't ruled himself out of taking a job next summer. If you read the actual quotes from O'Neill re the ireland job it is possible that he may take the job in 9 months time or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

We all know what he done for the club but when people go on about what he has achieved in the past then something is up.He should have retired when he said he was going to and went out on a high and not stuck around when he can no longer bring the club forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Dr. Nick wrote:
    btw, I kept telling my ManU mates that VdSar wasn't as good as they were saying and would fcuk-up at least 3 times to lose them points. Today is no.1.

He messed up yesterday but I think it's unfair to mention that without pointing out that he has already saved United points this season. He's already made some outstanding saves.

SteM wrote:
    He messed up yesterday but I think it's unfair to mention that without pointing out that he has already saved United points this season. He's already made some outstanding saves.

He's played well for United so far but I've never been too sure of his ability. He made quite a few fumbles at Fulham. I was surprised when Ferguson signed him because of his age but alot of United fans I know are of the opinion that SAF basically signed him just to see out his own tenure.

Don't think Van Der Saar can be blamed for letting in that early goal though. The entire United team looked shocking from the highlights I saw. Rio in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They won't sack him, that proberly would'nt help much.

They will say thanks for the memories behind the scenes and next season the team will be led by Steve McClaren! ;) (with Keane as his number 2!)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    They won't sack him, that proberly would'nt help much.

They will say thanks for the memories behind the scenes and next season the team will be led by Steve McClaren! ;) (with Keane as his number 2!)

Mike.

Not sure about McClaren, he's good but I don't think he's good enough for Man United yet. He's been given plenty of money at Boro but has only delivered the League Cup so far.

Maybe he'd be ready in a few years. Theie are plenty of managers out there who played under Ferguson that I'm sure would be linked (Hughes, Strachan, Robson) but I don't think any of them are ready yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Don't know about McLaren, will Utd fans accept his "industrious" approach to the game considering their chants of "4-4-2" and "attack attack attack" during recent games? I know Boro have got fantastic results this season (ManYoo and Rasenal sclaps, and a draw with 10 men against Liverpool) but their usual approach tends to be very patient (referred to by many as boring).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Fergie will never be sacked. I have absolutely no doubt about it. He will leave on his own accord (granted there may be words from above) but he will not have his contract termiated. The appointment of the new manager is just so crucial in nurturing the new crop of talent we have coming through, so that would suggest Le Guen to me. He has proven himself as a great tactician and teambuilder at Lyon. Other than that, as much as I would like to see O'Neill here, I dont think he is up to the job to be honest. He's never had quality players at his disposal and I think the job would be too big for him. We could do alot worse that Guus Hiddink too

Don't know about McLaren, will Utd fans accept his "industrious" approach to the game considering their chants of "4-4-2" and "attack attack attack" during recent games? I know Boro have got fantastic results this season (ManYoo and Rasenal sclaps, and a draw with 10 men against Liverpool) but their usual approach tends to be very patient (referred to by many as boring).

I think the chants of 4-4-2 were more to do with the results Ferguson's approach was getting the team than being boring. If they had been winning matches, I don't think you'd of heard the roaring of supporters. So, if McClaren could couple his patient approach with results, I don't think the United fans would have any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If United bring in a new manager after Fergie I will be very shocked.
    First off I expect Quierez to take over, and I dont think he will stay if he does not.

It will be a world class continental manager brought in, given a wage bigger than the entire world, to try and take over Man Utd.
    Despite their current form and team, I think Man Utd is still an incredibly attractive managerial position for people, and I expect it to be a top world class manager, perhaps brought in from Italy or somewhere.

Le Guen is an option I think, and the best one I can personally think of off hand.
    I however would rather someone with a huge vast of experience behind them, an ex-top class manager of MIlan/Juve/Madrid/etc/etc
    Who that may be, I don't know.

p.s.
    I think the only way we can challenge Chelsea consistantly with their current transfer ability and squad is through a youth team program which yeilds results comparable to the golden generation.

THere is hope for that with the crop of McShane/Bardsley/Spector/Pique/Jones/Martin/Eagles/Rossi/Blakes coming through
    Who better to do make them into an incredible team than fergie?

Lemlin wrote:
    So, if McClaren could couple his patient approach with results, I don't think the United fans would have any problems.

Boro's EPL record this season

All the good work of wins against ManYoo and Arsenal, and the draw against Liverpool, has been negated by defeats to Sunderland, West Ham, Charlton and Spurs. 3 goals shipped against Carlton would not be welcomed by ManYoo fans.

McLaren's style of play bores me to tears. I was at WHL for our game against Boro and they were shocking, the chants of "boring boring Boro" started [i[very[/i] early that day...;)

Utd's malaise began long before this season, and its been Ferguson's insistence on tinkering with his formation to try and prove his tactical nous thats caused it. I've plenty of ManYoo-supporting friends and workmates and they all agree that Utd were a better side to watch and follow when they played 4-4-2 with attacking flair. I don't believe Utd fans would settle for 10 men behind the ball and relying on corners/free kicks to win games, and I don't believe that approach would yield significant success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Ferguson wont be sacked, that would be a big surprise, but if ManU dont finish in the top-4 then neither he nor the fans will quibble with not having his contract renewed.

I'm busy enough commenting on Liverpool's ills this season without dissecting Man Utd's lack of results. Yesterday was an absolute disaster for Man U. There are problems in midfield and at the back, midfield being the worst. Roy K can still do a job but a creative player is needed to work alongside him. Scholes doesnt seem to be doing it this season or arguably last. Fletcher doesnt have the capability I believe. Ronaldo is a great creative force but when he is the only one from midfield and if he doesnt produce a product, then the team can be stifled. Smith, as I pointed out on another thread is not a midfielder. Giggs is ok but his style is suited to the 4-4-2 and having two strikers in the box. That doesnt suit Rooney.

I think that Van Nistelrooy and Rooney are good enough though, and if midfield is sorted out they will produce the goals. With Rooney coming in from "off the front" positions, the "in the hole" area that he likes and can exploit.

A problem at LB with Heinze out. He was a find. Ferdinand is much too relaxed for a defender at times and is losing out on battles for the ball that he should win. O'Shea, a utility player, but as we know with Ireland, has some nice touches, etc, but not stable enough to be a CB. Richardson is not a defender. I really dont know what Ferguson is thinking with that selection and teh "conversion" of Smith to a midfield player. These are experiments which are not working out. For example, a few weeks ago Scholes was caught out with the ball near the Man U box and it ended up being a goal, with the blame on Scholes. However, if you looked at it again you would see that it was Smith who swtiched off, didnt provide any support to Scholes, make himself available, etc, and then once Scholes lost it was not in a position to cover or tackle or win the ball back. Smith had switched in striker mode. He s far from a Makelele.

Bardsely is a find though as he seems ok. Silvestre can be dodgy at times but is good enough.

Vd Sar has already saved Man U points this season. He was at fault for the 1st goal yesterday clearly, asleep after the kick-off.

So, there are problems, and at the moment, it will take different players for solutions and players returning from injury. A new centre midfielder would help.

redspider

ps: where's the thread to dscuss "the problems with Arsenal this season"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

redspider wrote:

You will find that nobody particularly cares about Arsenal on this forum. It could be called the Liverpool/Man Utd forum.

Just to say even though Arsenal have less points and do have problems, I think in the long run Arsenal are better off than United. If it weren't for Van der Saar United would be much worse off. I think Arsenal just need to buy a replacement for Vieira and a new striker and things will pick up. Although the results have been slightly (1 point) worse than United this season I think their performances have been better, as well as having 3 wins out of 3 in the cl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

redspider wrote:
    There was one last week, but then I think some people realised that it was hardly a crisis, vindicated now that they are only a point behind their main rivals for second (which would appear is as high as either can achieve at this rate).

As regards United, they've not been playing well, but this is the usual reaction to such a beating. I couldn't see Ferguson ever being sacked mid-season. Next weekends game is crucial, a loss there and the pressure will really begin to mount. Add to that there are two tough CL games and a tough trip to Charlton sandwiching it.

Having said that United (and Ferguson) always seem to respond when the pressure is on, and one of their trade mark responses is required now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Didn't he say during last season that this one would be his last ? I know he's said similar things before, but it was around the same time Martin O'Neill announced he would be taking the year out from Celtic. It always struck me as very good timing, just as SAF is stepping down, MO'N will be coming back looking for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What is the obsession with Martin O'Neil lads...I don't want him at Utd. Why do they like him so much? What Utd need after SAF steps down is a top, foreign manager who knows the premier league really well. This will show a new dimension to the club itself which would attract top players to the club, an extra cutting edge dimension in Europe and hopefully bring Utd back to the top where they deserve to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

foreign manager who knows the premier league really well.

but thats why they are foreign, they dont know the premier league at all unless you want to recruit from within the league itself.

Sven would be my choice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

cheesedude wrote:
    What Utd need after SAF steps down is a top, foreign manager who knows the premier league really well. This will show a new dimension to the club itself which would attract top players to the club, an extra cutting edge dimension in Europe and hopefully bring Utd back to the top where they deserve to be.

I wouldn't have any qualms about a foreign manager but no matter who took charge Manchester United are not going to be able to attract top players these days because the finances aren't there thanks to G**zer.

Manchester United won't sack Ferguson because of what he has achieved for the club. The only manner in which Ferguson will leave Man Utd is when he calls it a day. I'll never have a bad word to say about Ferguson but I do think he should leave at the end of the season. In the last 2 years Ferguson has past his peak as a manager, tactician and with his signings. It is clear to me that things aren't right on and off the field. Poor tactics, wrong formations, dreadful signings, playing players out of position and players losing form show to me that Ferguson is losing his magic touch.

In kinda related news, Roy Keane's forthright views on Utd's defeat at the Riverside were pulled from MUTV this evening.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1031/keaner.html

One wonders what his response will be to that?

**** me now thats a surprise.

He was supposed to be very harsh in this interview.
    Named some players that probably that just wont cut it.(Smith in midfeild, JoS etc)

I dont know all rumours i guess until the thing is aired until then the rumours will just get worse

Why else would they scrap it when he said controversional stuff before but they always aired the programme.

The papers will be creaming themselves "Exclusive! We have a transcript of the keane interview!" Supposed to hear all about it tomorrow in the tabloids, all rags of course.

From the times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,291-1852024,00.html
    United push panic button after Keane's video nasty
    By Oliver Kay
    MANCHESTER United were last night forced to pull the plug on an explosive interview in which Roy Keane identified the culprits for the club’s malaise. Keane’s frank assessments of the team are nothing new, but on this occasion, pointing the finger at underachieving team-mates such as Rio Ferdinand, he was so outspoken that the club’s in-house television station was forced into a desperate cover-up.

It had seemed a recipe for disaster when MUTV announced that Keane had been nominated for its Play the Pundit feature to analyse the catastrophic 4-1 defeat by Middlesbrough on Saturday. In the event, the interview took place as planned, with the injured captain dissecting one of the team’s worst performances during Sir Alex Ferguson’s tenure, but the content was so shocking that MUTV’s management deemed it “unbroadcastable”, a verdict with which David Gill, the chief executive, agreed.

Suspicions were raised when the programme, which was to be screened at 6.30pm, disappeared from the schedule list an hour beforehand, to be replaced by Gary Neville Plays the Pundit. In the end, Neville’s thoughts were not forthcoming either, with MUTV instead showing a half-hour feature on their youth academy. Peter Brookes, the station’s managing director, said last night that he was “not commenting ” on the matter, while a club spokesperson said that there would be “no comment on it at all”.

The cover-up could be described as a public relations triumph in terms of damage limation, but the vague details that have emerged about Keane’s comments hardly paint the picture of a club united in anything but name. Keane is said to have “named names”, accusing several players of lacking the necessary commitment to play for United, and one of those names is believed to be Ferdinand, the club’s £30 million record signing, who was so abject on Saturday that he was substituted so that team-mates “did not have to cover his position”, according to Carlos Queiroz, the assistant manager.

Ferdinand was said to be seething at his substitution, which, with his team 4-0 down with only three minutes remaining, seemed to be more about making a point than anything tactical. But he is the foremost of several United players who will board a flight to Paris this morning in advance of tomorrow’s crucial Champions League match against Lille, having been told by an angry Ferguson that Saturday’s performance was unacceptable.

Ferguson’s choice of captain tomorrow evening will be particularly interesting. With Keane, Ryan Giggs and Neville injured and Paul Scholes suspended, Ferdinand would be the obvious choice, but he has not worn the armband since his contract dispute with the club last spring and it would not be a surprise if Edwin van der Sar or Ruud van Nistelrooy is given the honour tomorrow.

A lack of options in defence means that Ferdinand should keep his place, but while he claims to have “responded in a positive manner” to being dropped by Sven-Göran Eriksson for England’s World Cup qualifying match against Austria last month, he will have plenty to prove in the Stade de France. Gordon McQueen, the former United defender, said: “I know he’s a laid-back character, but I’m sure he will be hurting inside.”

That, though, is the type of truism that Keane is believed to have challenged when approached by MUTV. No one at Old Trafford would question his desire to win, which is one reason why Ferguson — who was said to be furious at the outburst in which John O’Shea was also targeted — is so eager to persuade the 34-year-old not to carry out his threat to leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

In his absence, Ferdinand and others have been left in no doubt that standards must improve.

• Advertisement

I want that interview out. It is exactly what the players need to see.

PS: I bet Ferguson wishes it was out too...Keane would get away with it. Ferguson would not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Anyway like I was saying, not looking like a sure thing for qual from the group now, is this the way Man U fans are happy for it to continue. At the very least I am sure that Mr Glazer is not going to be the happiest man in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It doesn't matter how many games united lose...the same old people will come on and say "Oh you can't sack him after all he's done for the club". Idiotic to be honest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wonder, if things go badly against Chelsea at the weekend... (hopefully they'll win, as unlikely as it seems at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hell if we do get to the knock-out stage we'll be embarrassed by any team we draw based on recent performances.

• Advertisement

No chance will they beat Chelsea. I feel sorry for Ferguson. The man needs to SAVE HIMSELF and leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

cheesedude wrote:
    No chance will they beat Chelsea. I feel sorry for Ferguson. The man needs to SAVE HIMSELF and leave.

I wouldnt say theres no chance they will beat Chelsea to be honest. The same was said last year before the Arsenal games and we all remember what happened there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Steve Bruce would be my choice to replace Ferguson after next season finishes. United man, defensively based, decent in the market etc.

He hasn't achieved what the likes of MON (not much tbh) and some of the foreign names being thrown around have achieved but he is a solid manager and I for one would be happy to see United take the chance with an old boy. It's unlikely though I do know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If I was a United supporter, the last person I would want there is Steve Bruce. He has done moderately well with Birmingham city but has wasted alot of money and amassed a stupidly large and average squad..

Martin O'Neill would be an excellent choice but a drastic overhaul of the squad is needed at this stage.. The first team squad seems to be lacking the desire and ability that made United the team of the 90's.. Remember when United used to consistently score goals in the dying mins of games to get the win.. They dont do it anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Remember when United used to consistently score goals in the dying mins of games to get the win.. They dont do it anymore...

Screw that, remember a time when United used to consistantly score goals full stop?! Bloody shambles at the moment. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fade2black wrote:
    It doesn't matter how many games united lose...the same old people will come on and say "Oh you can't sack him after all he's done for the club". Idiotic to be honest.

Not idiotic in the least, It's called loyalty. Look it up in a dictionary.

United are going throgh a bad patch at the moment not helped by injuries with half our first choice defence and nidfield injured. These are not our only problems (as the quality is obviously not in the squad to cover like with like) but they are a factor.

As I have said before the time will come when Fergie decides he has had enough and he will step down. As for his replacement I think he may already be there as second in command but that may well change if results/performances don't improve dramatically. Then United will go for a top manager with a proven track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Well many a battle I've had on here, defending Fergie in the past, but not anymore. I'm out of steam. I can't take it anymore. He's killing Utd.

Last night, I sat there watching that shambolic performance, and I was thinking "My God why is he back to this poxy formation" etc, and then I realised, it's not just that anymore. This is the squad he's built - it's awful. We have no cover. Our first choice midfield is dreadful.

As Keano said - you get rewarded for playing badly. Look at the (more or less) ever presents this year - O'Shea, Rio, Fletcher - then look at our best player this year, the talented Rooney - what does he do with him - he shunts him out of position every other match. He is talent around which you build your side Sir Alex. Why does Park deserve to be benched for nearly every match? What does he do when he plays? He gives his all, he tries hard, and he looks a threat. The exact opposite of Fletcher. Parochialism is about the only thing keeping him in the side. Never before have I seen a man enter so many 80-20 in his favour tackles, and end up in a heap without the ball.

And when he does have the ball he loses it!

I'm going to stop the rant now, but it's time to step down. Watching you is like watching a loved one dying of cancer. We remember you at your strongest - but that's all it is now, a memory. You're fading, and we'd rather you just left now than have to watch this slow and painful suffering.

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed watching your Utd sides, despite you thinking we're still playing attacking football in the mould of that which should grace the hallowed turf of OT.

Step down Fergie, and take the jackall with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I agree he must go!!! didnt get to see the game last night because of work but got highlights and heard Sky Sports and yoru on Sky Sports and nobody was impressed so that told a story!! anyway have seen there performances of late and they are terrible!!! I said at the end of last season it was time for Fergie to go....think I was right......problem is now it is mid season! if they do sack him who do they hire???? all the top quality managers are tied into contracts for this season anyway!! wiat till end of season where I could see SAF step down anyway!! another thing is the Glaziers dont want to sack him because it will give an excuse to the fans to complain about them again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Yes I have been waiting for this moment for 5 years,5 long years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm slowly starting to come around to your train of thought, over the last number of years had anybody suggested to me that Fergie needs to go I would have bitten their head off, but not anymore.

He has increasingly puzzled me with his formations, as the OP said playing Rooney out of position all of the time not only lessens his impact on the game but totally isolates Van Nistlerooy up front. Playing Smith and Fletcher in the centre midfield and Scholes on the wing is another tactical decision that is hard to comprehend. Ferguson said that the whole reason for playing Fletcher was to take some of the workload off Keane, Keane isn't in the team at the moment yet he still persists with the same formation.

Even his decision last night to take Ronaldo off for Rossi bemused me, there was only 1 minute left, why not take a centre back off or Fletcher? And why was Park not in from the start instead of Richardson, he has been one of the few bright points of the season so far and has exactly the attitude that was needed last night.

The lack of strength in depth is amazing for a club of uniteds size, four or five years ago if we had a few injuries we always had capable replacements to come in, we don't anymore. Look at the midfield last night, Richardson, Smith and Fletcher. That looks more like the midfield of a bottom of the table club.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

masterK wrote:
    The lack of strength in depth is amazing for a club of uniteds size, four or five years ago if we had a few injuries we always had capable replacements to come in, we don't anymore. Look at the midfield last night, Richardson, Smith and Fletcher. That looks more like the midfield of a bottom of the table club.
    You're spot on. Fletcher isn't championship standard, let alone Utd. Richardson isn't far behind - at one stage in first half, turned in middle of park to play easy square ball to Silv who was moving forward from left back, he put it about 10 yds in front of him, str8 into touch. He's a fierce man for running around enthusiastically at pace, but he's simply not good enough. Smith tries hard, and I like his character and determination, but he simply isn't a midfielder. His passing is dreadful. Fergie needs to wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Last night was an embarassment.
    What possessed Fergie to make Rudd captain?
    You can't lead a team writhing on the ground in "agony" every few minutes.
    Ruud is a first class hatcher but a lousy captain.
    The team needs leadership both on the pitch and off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i think the problem for me is quireoz(spelling?). fergie is not the coach he used to be, his ways are outdated now. so he hired a young coach with new ideas. this is in effect the quireoz's team.

also look at most of the big teams. their squads are good but what really makes them stand out are their big players. the big players produce on the big stage almost carrying the poorer players. united just dont have big players producing it on the big stage. we need the likes of ferdinand, scholes, rvn, rooney and the players out injured at the moment to hand in big performances.

henry and lampard are classic examples of this. how many times has lampard saved chelsea? and henry for arsenal? or terry for chelsea for that matter. we have no one producing these kind of performances. we have no leaders.

im not calling for fergies head. for anyone to suggest that we sack him mid season is utter stupidity. who would we bring in? brian kerr?! the man is a legend who deserves the respect to be give until the end of the season. weve had a decade of success under him, surely the man united fans suffering from bad memory can wait a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The injuries thing will just not cut it as an excuse, liverpool had the longest injury list in the premiership for most of last year and it was agree that the reason taht they were performing so badly is that they did not have enough quality to cover, it was the managers fault for not buying well and that was all there was to it. Now United have a few injuries, 4 first teamers is it ? and the manager is not to blame, am I sensing some double standards here ? They have been far from convincing in the PL and their CL form is far from what it used to be. Fergie has not brought in alot of quality to the side in the last 3 years, has a couple of good signings this year in Park and EvDS and Rooney last year but not enough to replace the ones that he has sold off or who are retired/getting too old (Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Schmeichel, Cantona, Scholes and a couple of decent defenders), a good team in the day but now I fear SAF has lost his edge, both in the transfer market and on the field.

Long gone are the days when people WANTED to play for United which is one of the main reasons for the decline, and we can see it across all of the prem clubs because the only team v good players want to come to is the English galacticos at the moment, unless you were a fan of a team (Harry Kewell for Pool as an example) you will take the big money move every time and why wouldn't you, it's a short career and you need to make your money fast.

I wonder what odds we could get on SAF being gone before the end of the season.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Muppet wrote:
    Not idiotic in the least, It's called loyalty. Look it up in a dictionary.

United are going throgh a bad patch at the moment not helped by injuries with half our first choice defence and nidfield injured. These are not our only problems (as the quality is obviously not in the squad to cover like with like) but they are a factor.

As I have said before the time will come when Fergie decides he has had enough and he will step down. As for his replacement I think he may already be there as second in command but that may well change if results/performances don't improve dramatically. Then United will go for a top manager with a proven track record.

Something just told me that you would be the first to respond to F2B comment. Muppet, FFS will you ever wake up and accept that Sir Alex is not the manager that he used to be. In all fairness what good is loyalty when our club is dropping down to mid table in the league, in a very dodgey situation in the GROUP stages of the CL and one of of biggest players having to come out and tell all how bad our players are.

If what is happening to ManU at the moment is down to Carlos Queiroz, then Fergie has deffinitely lost control. What manager do you know gives that much power to his assisant.

We are all going on about about injuries and how we have to cover, well how's faulf it that? Fergie is insisting on playing Alan Smith out of position and we all know he will never replace Keane. He has stuck by Judas when he should have shown him the door, and he has also made a fu*k up of John O Shea, by playing him in differen positions all of the time.

Now dont get me started on this 4-5-1 formation. I remember ManU used to play real exciting open football, full of passing and always scoring goals for fun. This will never happen with 4-5-1. The Fulham game this season, he reverted back to 4-4-2 and looked what happened there. We had our first glimpse of the Man U of old.

I sorry to be singling you out again Muppet, but its about time you woke up to the fact that Sir Alex is outstaying his welcome

• Advertisement
Advertisement