Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL or Metro

• 29-10-2005 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Im getting bb soon and i was wondering which is better the 3 meg NTL service or the Standard metro service.I know that teh upload on metro is better but maybe the NTl technologie is better ,which might make it more efficient.

help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

right now I'd say steer clear of Metro.

I'm currently posting from a crippled connection - no DNS is working at all, so I've added the boards.ie ip address to my hosts file so I can access it properly.

I'm still not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this problem, but from talking to the technician yesterday (they just dont work on sundays) I was told that my modem was never setup right when I was first connected.
    Either way - there have been nothing but problems with my connection since it was first installed, BUT it is a new service and is bound to have some teething difficulties.

NTL's connection is well known on this forum as being the pinnacle of broadband technology at the moment. It's never down, and better than ANY home DSL package currently available.
    If you require a better upload, then Metro is advisable, but I'm hold off on my recommendation of the service for now - they have excellent support here on this forum, and answer any question asked of them, but that's not helpful on a sunday morning when I've no real internet access :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL, Metro is new and there seems to be lots of problems with it at the moment. Hopefully these are just theading problems and they can sort them, but you just don't know and you would be taking a risk.

On the other hand NTL is tried and tested and loved by everyone, it is very stable with no downtime, very good pings and consistent high pings.

See the last two pages of this thread for problems with Metro:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309016&page=10

And see this poll for how many people (lots) are happy with NTL:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3539419#post3539419

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote:
    And see this poll for how many people (lots) are happy with NTL:[/url]
    The two main gripes with NTL are, can I have BB without having to pay for TV too and when can we have phones on the same cable. Other than that it just chugs along. And the best bit is that not a cent goes to Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

and when can we have phones on the same cable

That has been done by many people using Blueface etc.

Have a look at the VOIP forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

Then nothing goes to Eircon..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

NTL hands down mate!

Wireless = Evil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The two main gripes with NTL are, can I have BB without having to pay for TV too and when can we have phones on the same cable. Other than that it just chugs along. And the best bit is that not a cent goes to Eircom.

Well I get analogue TV free for 12 months from NTL :)

You can use Blueface VoIP service over NTL easily, I expect there will be a NTL phone service very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ebooborg

ntl rocks :)

i have been with every adsl provider in this country over last few years and ntl cable is soooooooo much better

in the last 3 months i only had one day downtime, and the downloads and pings are fast very fast (i dont use bittorent cause it sucks)

anyways cable has the potential to be upgraded to 100mbit or more (already 10mbit in UK) unlike wirelless

also metros packaging is a joke! i mean how is 6mb wirelles (2x faster than 3mb package is more than 7 more expensive???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet, thats why I recommend Digiweb :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ebooborg

Roen wrote:
    The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet, thats why I recommend Digiweb :P

did i mention i got a free wirelless router with hardware firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

But if Metro was working as advertised would the pings be as good a s NTL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ebooborg wrote:
    ntl rocks :)

i have been with every adsl provider in this country over last few years and ntl cable is soooooooo much better

in the last 3 months i only had one day downtime, and the downloads and pings are fast very fast (i dont use bittorent cause it sucks)

anyways cable has the potential to be upgraded to 100mbit or more (already 10mbit in UK) unlike wirelless

also metros packaging is a joke! i mean how is 6mb wirelles (2x faster than 3mb package is more than 7 more expensive???)

Does an NTL line have problems with torrents and p2p programs?

Does an NTL line have problems with torrents and p2p programs?

No problems, it works perfectly with every application (games, browsing, p2p, VoIP, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bk wrote:
    No problems, it works perfectly with every application (games, browsing, p2p, VoIP, etc.)

I second that but I've heard of people getting letters for excessive downloading !! and overuse of p2p programmes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I am currently using IBB 2mb/2mb service. What a joke it is. I hardly ever get the advertised 2mb speeds anymore and the service is down so often now its depressing. Even more depressing is waiting so long(over 45 minutes) on the phone trying to get through to tech support. I was thinking if going for either NTL or Metro as well. But I was wondering do NTL give you a static IP address? and do they have any problems with people running mail/web/ftp servers etc?

But I was wondering do NTL give you a static IP address? and do they have any problems with people running mail/web/ftp servers etc?

No, NTL don't give static IP's, however my dynamic IP hasn't changed in months and I use it for servers all the time.

If you really want a static IP, you could get a wireless BB router with support to autmatically update a Dynamic DNS service like www.dydns.org

Strictly speaking they don't allow servers in the contract, however if it is just for light personal use then it should be fine. I've been doing this for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i might change over fom BT to NTL now that their bb will be avaliable in my area soon. Couple of questions though:
    1) do they have to come into your gaff to do the installation? have got the analogue split in the attic so we can have tv's in all rooms (if we wanted)
    2) is there a wirelss cable modem avaliable? would rather have one box than 2

will pop over to the voip forum for my telephony questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Scruff wrote:

1) do they have to come into your gaff to do the installation? have got the analogue split in the attic so we can have tv's in all rooms (if we wanted)
    2) is there a wirelss cable modem avaliable? would rather have one box than 2

will pop over to the voip forum for my telephony questions.

1) The put in a separate cable and box where you want.
    2) I don't know if they are doing a wireless box now - I believe ti tis the case though, but I put my own in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

but I put my own in

what model do you have?

Advertisement