Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed improvement?

Options
  • 29-10-2005 9:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm using the site on Saturday and its bombing along for me now. Any speed reports? Rough timings for the time it takes to load the Feedback forum thread list perhaps. (and the time you did it at).

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Report since balance loading:

All the time: Uber-fast.

;D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

CuLT wrote:
    Report since balance loading:

All the time: Uber-fast.

;D

It's kinda chopping and changing for me, but it begins to load real fast, then getting all the info it sometimes takes its time. Like replying here, it had everything but the reply box up in a few seconds, and then about 15/20 seconds for the box to load. Quicker than it has been though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's bitchin' fast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Generally getting pages up in under a second off-peak times, maybe 3 or 4 seconds at peak times (weekday lunchtime etc). The odd time it seems to jump to 10+ seconds like Squirrel mentioned, but clicking again always brings the page up in proper time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DeVore wrote:
    Rough timings for the time it takes to load the Feedback forum thread list perhaps.
    About 2 seconds now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

its nice and nippy here, and i'm on dial - up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

stevenmu wrote:
    Generally getting pages up in under a second off-peak times, maybe 3 or 4 seconds at peak times (weekday lunchtime etc). The odd time it seems to jump to 10+ seconds like Squirrel mentioned, but clicking again always brings the page up in proper time.

I've begun noticing that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

1.812s to load this page...

Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Only a couple of seconds to load a page now. Huge improvement. Makes browsing so much easier. Although, I needed to edit a post earlier and it took about 15-20secs to load the page. Apart from that everything moves along fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm beginning to think the 'quick reply' facility should be renamed the 'super duper sh1t off a shovel reply' facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing to write home about here - and the search feature is still off....

Mike.

Now, about 3 seconds (damned users, using my network :D)

About 22 minutes ago, it timed out without loading.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, like Mike and Victor said, nothing particularly spectacular here either. Sluggish loading pages and really missing search, just as an added gripe!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

To be honest I am finding it particularly slow again today. Pages are slow loading and also when I click reply it sometimes takes an age. And the new posts and search links are still down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

A definite improvement, little bit sluggish right now thou 13:37 sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

:) it's perfect for me now....

Ah just the way i like Boards to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

1.110s here. great improvement. kudos to all involved.

Came to a complete halt again 20 minutes ago (other sites worked fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Road%20Runner%201.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Search will be the last thing we turn back on but we're not that far from doing that I believe.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

azezil wrote:
    A definite improvement, little bit sluggish right now thou 13:37 sunday.
    I wonder if the timing was deliberate. You never know with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It wasn't actually, just noticed afterwards and sniggered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Still a little sluggish at times, especially when it's trying to load a thread.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can you define "sluggish" more distinctly?
    Some people would think 20 secs to be sluggish, others anything over 5 seconds.

The other thing is that, the site IS doing quite a bit when it gets a thread or list of threads. Theres a lot os processing to do and then the data retrieval and serving. Its not like a html/static site so we have to accept that it will always run slowly then such a site.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah, I know there are big differences between a site like this and a static HTML site, especially in terms of the demands it makes when trying to retrieve and render the appropriate content.

Sluggish..well earlier, I was looking at occasional bouts of 15/20 seconds of hanging before the thread rendered. When it did render, it rendered quickly though. It's not so bad now, but it might be because the load is lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

About 6-7 seconds right now, on a quiet Sunday evening
    DeVore wrote:
    Search will be the last thing we turn back on but we're not that far from doing that I believe.

Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Just a quick observation, that boards is online at 3:26. The backup normally takes longer than that. I assume its because a backup is no longer needed, what with load balancing? Or is it simply newer faster hardware.

Good job anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Newer and faster I think. It was down for about ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Just a quick observation, that boards is online at 3:26. The backup normally takes longer than that. I assume its because a backup is no longer needed, what with load balancing? Or is it simply newer faster hardware.

Good job anyways.

Oh...i just thought they'd given up backing up Mobile Infantry's posts thus reducing the backup to about 15mins.

I'm finding boards much quicker in general but every now and again a page will take 10seconds to load. Seems a bit random. Using latest firefox and xp pro. Of course it could be a symptom of the broadband connection or a figment of my imagination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

seems to be bombing along here in work...

Advertisement