Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed gone to crap

Options
  • 30-10-2005 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

My 2MB Eircom ADSL has gone waaaaay slow. According to the bandwidth speed test on bandwidthplace.com, my "Communications" speed is 87.7 kilobits per second - a 1MB file download took 1.6 minutes !

I guess the first thing I need to know is whether is my issue or Eircoms.

Two computers attached to the network on a Netgear DG834G. Antivirus and spyware run on both. No obvious processes that are downloading etc. Wireless is locked down with WEP and my machines are the only ones connected.

Anything I can put on the Netgear box to figure out where the problem is ? Any other troubleshooting tips ?

OR is something up with Eircom ? I'm in Swords.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

you might be in the wrong board for a start ! there is a Broadband Board ! you might get better reponses there! get a mod to move your post !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

hes not really as it could be network related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

I noticed my eircom was running slow late last night, but im not on a network. I would suggest to connect directly to one computer and check the speed other wise contact eircom. I have'nt checked my BB today, im in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

its gone back to normal again now, so no worries. Drapper, thanks for all those exclamation marks - really made me sit up and notice !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

no worries !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

i tried bandwidthplace.com i got 259kb speed but when i went into irishisptest.com i got over 850kb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CapatalisimCod

Yeah gordonnet, dont tink irishisptest is very reliable. Have a 2mb line but iisptest is saying my line speed is 3.88mbs, tried band.....com and it gave me 2mb, I would be interested 2 hear someones results with a 4mb line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

seemed pretty accurate to me on my 2mb line when it went back to normal

Advertisement