Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avoiding the NCT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

daveg wrote:
    I'm meeting up with a mate of mine at the weekend. He's a detective so I'll ask him what the story is from a guards point of view.

Any news daveg?

I read in the Kilkenny People today, that a woman had been fined €400 for not displaying an NCT cert. That was on top of fines for no insurance and tax etc, may be they were just throwing the book at her because she had been caught numerous times before. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bond-007 wrote:
    If it was run totally by the state and state employees I might have some respect for it.
    Then it'd be like the driving test system - it would take you about a year to get an appointment... :rolleyes:
    In the USA these matters are totally within the control of the state ie the DMV.
    And I'm sure they have plenty of allegations of incompetence/failure quotas etc. etc. too.

Just as people hate being told their driving isn't up to scratch, they hate being told their cars aren't up to scratch either. No test is infallible, but most of the time people who complain just can't accept the truth and reach for a convenient excuse.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

My car has never had an NCT - I bought it in the UK in 2003, and rang up the NCTS to see how I could book an appointment - they told me that my (new, Irish) reg "wasn't in their system" - I asked how to get it into the system, and they said that I'd have to go to a centre with my ownership docs, and wait while they manually entered it all. Then I could apply for an appointment!

I hung up and never did anything about it - if they're that efficient, I don't want them near my car...

I've been through many tax/insurance checks, and I've never had to open the window yet...although the car is a family saloon in very good condition, it is over 10 years old.

Before you get the wrong idea, I totally believe in car-testing, but I think that the appointment of NCTS by the gov't was just bullsh1t to comply with EU regs, and "the authorities" (Gardai, Dep't of Transport, etc) don't really care about what goes on, once they can say to the EU that, "Yes, we have car-testing in Ireland". I will only give the NCTS my money if not having an NCT starts being enforced, and points are a risk.

Saying that, my car would most likely pass (unless they could find something wrong with the text on my reg plates!) because I do care about my own and my family's safety, and I service the car regularly myself (eg: I rebuilt the engine and gearbox myself before driving it to Italy on holidays this year...), and I know its condition intimately, regarding brakes, suspension, steering, emmissions (I have a CO meter), tyres, etc...

Advertisement