Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet on 3??

• 30-10-2005 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

tranferred my account to the 3 network recently & upgraded to the Nokia 6680, I can access all the 3 network stuff (news, foorball etc) but is there anyway of getting out of their walled garden internet & into the net propper? is there any app that will allow you do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

No. There was some workaround in the UK by emailing pages to yourself as the only portal out of the caged system is via email. but it doesn't work. If you really need to access pages you can download isilo for S60 and using desktop in the morning or whatever grab all the pages you need for the day or week...and put them on the card. Its a Free alternative but not live. Repligo viewer is good also and free but the conversion program used to create webpages etc costs money. Its worth it though if you have a palm pilot as well. Its what adobe for s60 should have been. Live Net browsing outside 3's walled system is not an option.
    If you really really need to access some sites outside the 3 network, try the new i-mode phone (nec343i) from o2. V. basic but its full www and free in a sense. (€79 w/ €80 credit on speakeasy). THats what I did and the imode phone is pretty slick as a bog std text based net viewer (provided the sites are optimised for phone / pda). CHeck out the pdaportal.com site for good pages to view..

Last option is scrap the 3 network and fork out for another 6680 on Vodafones 3g live plan.. then get ripped off by the mental net charges. You can surf all www but its ridiculously expensive.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not at the moment. Rumour has it plans are afoot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

3 seem to be taking steps
    1.be able to port same number from voda,o2 and meteor
    2.ready to go phones on 3
    3.access to proper internet on their phones

so far they only have number 1 done but as soon as they have number 2 done ill go to them and hopefully they will get number 3 done soon also

They would open up the internet in the UK b4 Ireland or there would be uproar. I doubt they will open up the net anytime soon. THey should concentrate on better 3G coverage and better integration with other networks. You cannot even video call an 087 no at the moment.... Ready to Go phones on three will be a hit as they would offer the walled garden service to Speakeasy customers for free I'd imagine. That alone would be a good incentive to go to 3 for many people and they should have that ready for Christmas.. THey wouldn't need to roll out full net content anytime soon...ALthough o2's i-mode service might take the shine off 3's service simply for the ammount of people expected to upgrade to an i-mode phone and the fact that so many Irish companys have set up i-mode net portals (Hotpress - regional newspapers - Entertainment - Buy and Sell etc). Thats what three as a network need to do. Get more content specific to Irish customers. Someone please make a good TV guide feat Irish Terrestial channels for example or more Irish companys enter 3's "walled garden" and provide content. The race should hot up at Christmas as they battle for our cash, contracts, top-ups and ultimately loyalty. Whatever they provide it better be smooth, especially 3G content, after the fiasco that was 3G in the UK at launch.
    End semi-rant... :-)
    Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is there a listing of what's inside the fantastic 3 garden anywhere?

• Advertisement

On the website...www.three.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

thanks for the replies guys, but just one thing I noticed, quintron said he couldn't videocall people on vodafone, I've been doing that no problem since I got the phone, you just need to make sure it says 3g on the reception bar & not the little tree thingy, otherwise just select 272-05 (home network) from the network selection

Hey Phoenix, Thats strange! When I got the phone I didn't have anyone to video call on vodafone. THen a few weeks ago I met a mate who had 3G voda and I tried it..in Dublin.. with both phones on full 3G coverage..No joy..
    I immediately called 3 to find out the problem and they said they knew it existed and they were working on it. They said 3 to vodafone video calling DID work in the beginning but that something had happened recently.. I tried a few other times in the past few days and still no joy. I must try selecting 272-05 and see if that helps.
    Also I tried to send an MMS to my 3 no from my 086 number and it doesn't work either. Its bad enough that network interactions were not ironed out b4 the service went live but its worse in my opinion that they work on some phones and not others.
    Has anyone else got MMS to "cross breed" successfully?
    Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Quintron,

3 in the UK do allow users to access "external" websites, they introduced a new add-on a few months back called "Mobile Websites". Although it's not completely un-restricted (access is only provided to 3-approved sites), it does allow more
    freedom than the wall-garden approach. No doubt it will arrive in Ireland in time...

http://www.three.co.uk/explore/services3/detailMobileWeb.omp

Ferryman,
    I stand corrected. Just read their add on pack details. As you say, not full net but a step in the right direction. Still it wouldn't help for checking local train times, schedules or info needed on a whim..
    I hope Irish companies are able to sign up to get in to 3's walled garden soon and provide real content. Hopefully by Christmas when their will be more prople on the network...

The new imode service from o2 is a treat for grabbing info you need quickly. Its super basic in contrast to 3's multimedia based content but seems just as fast as its text based and using a proxy server like google you can grab info from virtually any website. Useful without 3's bells and whistles.
    I'm not knocking 3. Their service has been pretty good so far. I use all the services everyday and am happy with them. Their prices are excellent and their walled garden features are broad enough to satisfy most people, fast and free. The freedom of full net access though would be seriously useful to some as an add on. A basic open net Data package per month..

I see vodafone in UK have signed up Sky TV and Orange TV service. Bring it on over here!! :) . 3 need to be first to get this rolling in Ireland cause if vodafone bring it over here first it will be increasingly difficult for them to keep a share of the market.. imagine..Corrie...live on your mobile... now thats essential :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement