Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Lampard is the best player i nthe world"

• 30-10-2005 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

A qoute from the chosen one himself. Building up his central midfielder in a manor no other manager would do, because they realise it will be building up for a great big fall. Critics all around europe, who arnt british, are both laughing and screaming about the claim.
    Watching Football First this morning Warren Barton also said lampard was the best player i nthe world. I think they are stupid.

I think it is another example of the british media taking things way out of preportion and boasting about another player extremely over rated much like wayne rooney. All this fuss is only ever amde by british media. Frank Lampard is a good player but is not the best player i nthe world, he is "one" of the best "midfielders" in the world.

As shown with England Lampard is totally ineffective and not ever present during an England match. Why? Because there is not a holding midfielder. Lampards defensive play leaves alot to be desired i nall honesty and it is makelle and essien that make lampard look amazing. They hold the anchor while lampard steams ahead. They have said in England that their 4-5-1 tactics adopted by erikson was a disaster and ruined the english attack. Infact it was the eprfect formation, jsut David Beckham has to have his way. Lampard and gerred playing i the middle of a midfield 5 along with say michael carrick holding would be amazing, beckham can stay on his wing.

But I just laugh and even get angry with all the hype I hear about Frank, he is a good player,amazing if you will, but not the best player in the world, and perhaps not the best midfielder. Simple fact of all the hype is cause he is british.

anyone agree or are you all lampard lick arses =P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think in a 4-3-3, with a holding player playing in midfield with him, he is the best AMC in the entire world.
    He does exactly what an AMC should do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

A qoute from the chosen one himself. Building up his central midfielder in a manor no other manager would do, because they realise it will be building up for a great big fall. Critics all around europe, who arnt british, are both laughing and screaming about the claim.
    Watching Football First this morning Warren Barton also said lampard was the best player i nthe world. I think they are stupid.

i bet they think you are stupid too.

oh sorry, they probably dont care who you are.
    I think it is another example of the british media taking things way out of preportion and boasting about another player extremely over rated much like wayne rooney. All this fuss is only ever amde by british media. Frank Lampard is a good player but is not the best player i nthe world, he is "one" of the best "midfielders" in the world.

i thought it was JM that said it?
    anyway, what the hell do you care what the manager of chelsea says about his players.
    or even what the british press says about anyone.

i think you just have some massive chip on your shoulder. to actually get angry becuase of what other people say is just stupid.

you are entitled to your opinion, and i guess those people that actually know about the sport, and are involved in it to a level you never will are also entitled to theirs.
    But I just laugh and even get angry with all the hype I hear about Frank, he is a good player,amazing if you will, but not the best player in the world, and perhaps not the best midfielder. Simple fact of all the hype is cause he is british.

anyone agree or are you all lampard lick arses =P

so, actually you think he is an amazing player, but you just get annoyed when other people think he is the best in the world.

you really must have very little to do with your time....
    ziggy67 wrote:
    The hype is because he is ENGLISH. The so-called British media couldn't give a damn about anything other than England.

He is an excellent player though, but not the best.

so called british media?
    i would have thought that the media in the UK were british, not so-called. im not sure what your point is to do with the media though.

gosh, you mean they report mostly on stuff that is happening in britain, and deals with british opinions and british interests?
    how unfair is that?

obviously another person who feels the need to knock someone because of some stupid and begrudging need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What is an AMC?
    ^^^ Championship manager speak for an attacking midfielder I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

As said above, I think with two players like Essien and Makelele doing some of the less glamourus work and protecting the back 4, Lampard is free to do what he does best. And I think he is the best in the world at what he does. He's what Paul Scholes used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

ziggy67 wrote:
    What is an AMC?

Attacking Midfield Centre, championship manager speak i think. ;)

Lampard is definitely one of the best, if not the best, in the world, in this role.
    He's not on the pitch to defend.
    That's why Makele and Essien are there.
    Lampard is there to score and make assists.
    He's already gotten 10 goals and 5 assists in the Premiership this season.
    He's top scorer so far.
    And he's not far off being top for assists.

I think i read something recently about Ronaldinho saying that he would love to have Lampard at Barcelona.

I don't think England play to their strengths.
    They have a fantastic bunch of players that just don't seem to gel.

With regard to the British media hyping him up, i think the difference between hyping Lampard and Rooney is that Lampard consistantly delivers.
    He's the finished article unlike Rooney who still has some way to go.

If we had a player like Lampard you could be sure we'd hype him too.

Unfortunately the papers here are left hyping players like O'Shea, Miller, Ireland or anyone else who's shown a glimmer of talent.

I'm not English, nor do i support any team but i do rate Lampard very, very highly.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Your argument that Lampard needs a holding player doesn't really add up to much IMO. RVN is a good player but he wouldn't score half as many goals if he didn't get the support from the flanks that he does (or used to). So is it fair to say that he'd be crap without Ronaldo and Giggs?

In the same way, the entire Chelsea team wouldn't be near as effective if they didn't have Peter Cech in goal with such a strong back four.

Paul Scholes was raved about for years. He needed Roy Keane alongside him though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lampard best player in the world my arse.

I can name 10 better....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

whitewashman I havent got achip on my shoulder, it just seems that everything gets blown out of porportion in England, and I wanted to find out if I was the only one who feels this way about Lampard.

And both Jose mourinho and Warren Barton said it. Please learn to read. I have my facts straight.

Just because they are at a high level in football doesnt mean they know everything. Before coming to Chelsea Mourinho claimed Drogba to be one of the best strikers in the world =(

You need to understand that because someone is of a higher level or authority then you doesnt always make them right. Theres people in here with more football knowledge then most managers in the world. Knowledgable enough to realise Lampard is not the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And atleast irish pundits and media are honest if even too critical over irish talent and players. If theres ever a match on both rte and sky, ill pick rte because enlgish press are too politically correct, they dont say a player had a rubbish game, they said he was having an ok game.

Thats why i like watching eamon dunphy, liamo and the other rt2 panel ,they are honest and tell things how they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

As shown with England Lampard is totally ineffective and not ever present during an England match. Why? Because there is not a holding midfielder. Lampards defensive play leaves alot to be desired in all honesty and it is makelle and essien that make lampard look amazing. They hold the anchor while lampard steams ahead.

I don't see Ronaldinhio running around like a blue arsed fly at the back for Barcelona or Brazil. Does that make him crap because he has players like Xavi and Gilberto/Emerson doing that for him??

your argument is poor, England play a rediculous system with Lampard, Gerrard, J Cole and Beckham in midfield. I defy any team to play well without at least one holding midfielder.

Man Utd had one of the best in Roy Keane when they dominated in the 90's
    Real Madrid had Makalele when they dominated in Spain/Europe.
    Arsenal had Viera and Gilberto in their unbeaten season.

I think thats enough examples, but more are available.
    Jank wrote:
    Lampard best player in the world my arse.

I can name 10 better....

Please do ....
    I would be interested to see which 10 you choose.

Oh and for the record I don't think Lampard is the best, but he is not outside the top 10.

Ballack
    Ronaldihno
    Ronaldo (The real one)
    Henry
    Rooney (As much as it pains me)
    Sheva
    Kaka
    Nedved
    Gattuso
    Deco
    Torres

in no particular order.

There are plenty of midfielders in there too and id have any of them over Lampard.

Personally too id have Gerrard in there too but his form has been nothing like it was in 2003. He needs to leave Liverpool to get his form back to where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And today, Jose follows that up with a wonderful little conceit about Arsene Wenger:

"I think he is one of these people who is a voyeur," said the Portuguese coach. "He likes to watch other people.

"There are some guys who, when they are at home, have a big telescope to see what happens in other families. He speaks, speaks, speaks about Chelsea."

Ballack (agreed)
    Ronaldihno (agreed)
    Ronaldo (The real one) (agreed)
    Henry (agreed)
    Rooney (Nope, not yet anyway)
    Sheva (agreed)
    Kaka (agreed)
    Nedved (agreed)
    Gattuso (nope, he is a workhorse, nothing more)
    Deco (Excellent, but not top 10)
    Torres (absolutely not, his form has been abissmal lately)

Jank wrote:
    There are plenty of midfielders in there too and id have any of them over Lampard.
    Personally too id have Gerrard in there too but his form has been nothing like it was in 2003. He needs to leave Liverpool to get his form back to where it belongs.

We are talking about the 10 best players in the world now, not on past form, on present form. Gerrard hasn't been on form, so how can you consider an inconsistent player a better player?

So your saying that a player who has scored 10 goals and 5 assists in the premiership and also scored in europe making it 11 goals in 16 games is a worse player then the likes of Fernando Torres or Gattuso? Not to mention he finished top scorer for Chelsea last year.

The only other midfielder to come near those stats is Ronaldinhio.
    Just because he doesn't do fancy tricks doesn't make him a poor player.

evilhomer wrote:
    Just because he doesn't do fancy tricks doesn't make him a great player.

He's a lot more than just fancy tricks in fairness.

Lampard is definitely the best in his position in Europe at the minute, but there aren't too many teams that play the same system as Chelsea with two "holding" midfielders to allow Lampard play in behind Drogba/Crespo.

Also, his consistency and fitness levels are second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

jank wrote:
    Ballack
    Ronaldihno
    Ronaldo (The real one)
    Henry
    Rooney (As much as it pains me)
    Sheva
    Kaka
    Nedved
    Gattuso
    Deco
    Torres

Maybe try naming 10 midfielders?
    And if you were to compare like with like they'd need to be attacking midfielders.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lampard best player in the world?

Get that man into the straight jacket!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's a lot more than just fancy tricks in fairness.

Lampard is definitely the best in his position in Europe at the minute, but there aren't too many teams that play the same system as Chelsea with two "holding" midfielders to allow Lampard play in behind Drogba/Crespo.

Also, his consistency and fitness levels are second to none.

Yeah I agree, I typed "great" instead "poor" by accident, edited now.

Maybe most teams don't play two holding midfielders, but Essien isn't a purely Defensive midfielder. Most teams would play two DM's if they could afford to have two

• Advertisement

So your saying that a player who has scored 10 goals and 5 assists in the premiership and also scored in europe making it 11 goals in 16 games is a worse player then the likes of Fernando Torres or Gattuso? Not to mention he finished top scorer for Chelsea last year.

Yes.

Because Forlan out scored Ronaldo in La Liga last yeat make Forlan a better player then Ronaldo?
    Stats can only prove so much.

Gattuso may be a work horse but what are we comparing? Football players?
    Players who do the ugly work should be up there with the players who score goals etc.

Isnt it a team game?

Agree on Torres can be eractic at times but he is a fantastic player and will only get better. The new Raul without a doubt. You will see in the world cup.

Maybe try naming 10 midfielders?
    And if you were to compare like with like they'd need to be attacking midfielders.

The point of the whole thread is best player in the world, not best midfielder or even best AMC in the world

jank wrote:
    Yes.

Because Forlan out scored Ronaldo in La Liga last yeat make Forlan a better player then Ronaldo?

I'm not talking about one season here, Lampard is consistent and continues to get better and better.
    It's always possible for a player to have one really good seaons then fade away.
    jank wrote:
    Gattuso may be a work horse but what are we comparing? Football players?
    Players who do the ugly work should be up there with the players who score goals etc.

Isnt it a team game?

If we are to choose a player who does the ugly work then I would choose Makelele ahead of Gatusso. The trophies he has won as a player speak for themselves.
    jank wrote:
    Agree on Torres can be eractic at times but he is a fantastic player and will only get better. The new Raul without a doubt. You will see in the world cup.

He may be the new Raul in the future, but he is not that good at the minute, therefore he cannot be considered in this debate. If the topic was "who is going to be the best player in the world" then yes Torres would have to be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think Rooney and Lampard can be compared and the amount of times Rooney has carried Man Utd through, sure he was their best player in a losing side to Boro at the weekend AGAIN. I am sorry and most of you know this, but Lampard is the most industrious/efficient midfielder in the world but ironically is not the best. Personally, he is not in the same category as Ronaldinho at all. Having said that, they both along side each other would absolutely totally complement each other. To compare them to each other would be drastically unfair as Ronaldinho is technically the much better player of the two and has a much better international record and much better stats of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lampard is one of the best midfielders in the world, and not just in this AMC position that people seem to pidgeon hole him with. He spent the majority of last year in playing in midfield with Gudjohnsen occupying this AMC position. The year before he played as part of a midfield two with Makelele.

His record for England is pretty impressive, particularly when you consider he only really got his chance in the 03/04 season. Since 2004 he has scored 9 in 19 games for England, 8 of them in competitive matches. That's an amazing record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Zidane, Nedved, Ballack just off the top of my head... gerrard if you want to cast him in the same role ... so many others you could play in the same position as him who are better ... infinate amount of players in other positions who are better than him ... but lets not forget, these players aren't English... so they cant be the best ... only really good .... any idiot knows Rooney is not only the best striker in the world, he's the best player in the world, no he's the greatest player of a generation on the planet...wait actually he is the greatest player who has ever lived! The greatest player to ever kick a ball!!

And i can tell you for a fact i have seen at least 10 people on here spew that crap about Rooney by saying he's as good as/better than pele ... idiots... so the moral of the story is the English press will convince people their players are the best ... and you'll still have the tools on here that'll believe it.

If they are so good, and have Lampard, best player in the world, Gerrard, also best player in the world somehow... or at least those were the vibes a few months ago, Beckham, best player in the world about 2 years ago, and for about 2 years, Owen, best striker in the world for a few years... Rooney, the best player who has ever lived! Ferdinand, the best defender in the world ... That's a pretty impressive team!! I mean that sounds like one of the greatest sides that has ever walked onto a pitch together!! They'd probably beat the Brazillian 1970's team!! :eek:

Yes, that's why they havn't come close to winning anything and they got played off the park by a team their captain could litterally buy with one weeks wages.

Don't believe the crap... but please dont support it, when you clearly have not got a clue ... Just because you support man yoo dosen't mean Rooney is the best player on the planet, or if you support Liverpool, Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world, or if you support Chelsea Lampard is a god... because clearly there are better players than all of the above out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gerrard is better imo although not quite the same type of player. Lampard may be consistent but so are Chelsea. He didn't even make the England squad for the 2002 WC, ironically Joe Cole was the player in ahead of him.

When Gudjohnson was in the Chelsea midfield last season it was a case of "you score 3, we'll score 4".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

eirebhoy wrote:
    Lampard may be consistent but so are Chelsea. He didn't even make the England squad for the 2002 WC, ironically Joe Cole was the player in ahead of him.

".

thats more to do with the decisions on FA management than it is to do with Lampard's worth as a player, only when the Sun picks the English team could you end up with Cole ahead of Lampard.

Rooney is comparable to Lampard eh ? don't know how one could compare them, different positions, different teams, different systems etc. I know I'd rather have a reliable Lampard on my team than a tempermental shrek-a-like any day.

Anyway, I think you all are taking this a bit too literally, just cause Mourinho says "lampard is the best" doesn't mean its true or even that he means it, its simply his way of building confidence and praising his players. Lampard had an excellent game on Sat., deserved the MOTM and all the accolades he's gotten from the press in the past two days. He is undoubtably an excellent player and has been a major factor in Chelsea's rise, there is no hard and fast way of comparing footballers' "greatness" , its always going to come down to subjective opinions.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Gerrard is better imo although not quite the same type of player.

Gerrard has his days when he can dominate a game but can't sustain form. Hardly the hallmark of a great player.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Lampard may be consistent but so are Chelsea. He didn't even make the England squad for the 2002 WC, ironically Joe Cole was the player in ahead of him.

Lampard wouldn't be the first player to miss out in the England setup. Doesn't make him a poor player. Not to mention there are a lot of players who develop late.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    When Gudjohnson was in the Chelsea midfield last season it was a case of "you score 3, we'll score 4".

I don't remember a huge amount of games last year where Chelsea were goal-for goal with teams. For the most part they were machine like and crushed teams.
    cheesedude wrote:
    To compare them to each other would be drastically unfair as Ronaldinho is technically the much better player of the two and has a much better international record and much better stats of the two.

Technical ability is not the only benchmark by which to compare players "greatness".

As for international record, Henry has a very poor international record compared to his club stats. Does that make him a poor player or a victim of the tactics his international team use?

jank wrote:
    Yes.

but really what you are saying in this post is that its all subjective, but that JM is just plain wrong, becuase you are right?

so no matter what the stats say, as long as you say it aint so, it aint so.

by the way, i disagree with the majority of your choices, but id would also like to see you come up with 10 better attacking midfielders, and reasons why they are better.

i mean, lets compare apples with apples shall we. otherwise i could say that pele is the best player in the world, and you cant really argue with that now, can you?

• Advertisement

DubGuy wrote:
    Zidane, Nedved, Ballack just off the top of my head... gerrard if you want to cast him in the same role ... so many others you could play in the same position as him who are better ... infinate amount of players in other positions who are better than him ... but lets not forget, these players aren't English... so they cant be the best ... only really good .... any idiot knows Rooney is not only the best striker in the world, he's the best player in the world, no he's the greatest player of a generation on the planet...wait actually he is the greatest player who has ever lived! The greatest player to ever kick a ball!!

And i can tell you for a fact i have seen at least 10 people on here spew that crap about Rooney by saying he's as good as/better than pele ... idiots... so the moral of the story is the English press will convince people their players are the best ... and you'll still have the tools on here that'll believe it.

If they are so good, and have Lampard, best player in the world, Gerrard, also best player in the world somehow... or at least those were the vibes a few months ago, Beckham, best player in the world about 2 years ago, and for about 2 years, Owen, best striker in the world for a few years... Rooney, the best player who has ever lived! Ferdinand, the best defender in the world ... That's a pretty impressive team!! I mean that sounds like one of the greatest sides that has ever walked onto a pitch together!! They'd probably beat the Brazillian 1970's team!! :eek:

Yes, that's why they havn't come close to winning anything and they got played off the park by a team their captain could litterally buy with one weeks wages.

Don't believe the crap... but please dont support it, when you clearly have not got a clue ... Just because you support man yoo dosen't mean Rooney is the best player on the planet, or if you support Liverpool, Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world, or if you support Chelsea Lampard is a god... because clearly there are better players than all of the above out there..

oh-oh!

another boring rant disagreeing with everything english.

borrrrrrrrrrring.

its a great shame you cant seem to say anything good about anything. all you come out with is negative garbage constantly.

shame. youre mother would be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

WWW wrote:
    another boring rant disagreeing with everything english.
    What else have I disagreed with that's English? :confused:
    WWW wrote:
    its a great shame you cant seem to say anything good about anything.
    I have plenty of good things to say about plenty of things. :)

What a constructive criticisim of the facts I mentioned above. :rolleyes:
    WWW wrote:
    shame. youre mother would be disappointed.
    My mother is very proud of me. :p

You see...I even like smileys.

Ohh...and everything i said was right, everything you said was wrong... so there!

DubGuy wrote:

Ohh...and everything i said was wrongt, everything you said was right... so there!

at last, we agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lampard is the best midfielder in the world at the minute. If everyone here was not so anti-english and anti-chelsea they would agree.

There certainly isnt anyone in the EPL who is playing better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Its pretty bloody obvious to anyone with a clue that the best player Chelsea have is Essien, and he is probably the best all round midfield player in the world. And I know, so don't go contradicting me or there'll be trouble.

WWM the point of the thread is, is Lampard the best player in the world right now.

Everything is subjective of course.

John o'shea is the best player ever...prove me wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well that is an easy one, just watch any game that he has played of late.

Wasn't there some frnech guy could play a bit, Zinnamon, Zanzibar, no Zinedine that's it, I believe he is quite good.

Also there was that young lad Kaka he is not so bad, Ronnie from that spanish club that won the league, how can Lampard be the best in the world, he is not even the best in Europe.

Its pretty bloody obvious to anyone with a clue that the best player Chelsea have is Essien,

I guess I haven't a clue so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And just in case anyone didn't know, it is only the English media that ever over-hype a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't get what your problem is? It was after all Mourinho (a Portu-geezer) who said it. The British media are just reporting it. I'm sure if Mourinho said "Lampard is a poncy little ladyboy who looks like a girl" the press would print that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Its pretty bloody obvious to anyone with a clue that the best player Chelsea have is Essien, and he is probably the best all round midfield player in the world. And I know, so don't go contradicting me or there'll be trouble.

don't know about that , he's an excellent player but I think its too early to say that definitively, personally I think that Cech and Terry can challenge for that honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Essien is no way near the best midfielder in the world. He is an over-priced muscle who knocks people off the ball and breaks up play. Simple as that. And yes, he is very effective at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

evilhomer wrote:
    I don't remember a huge amount of games last year where Chelsea were goal-for goal with teams. For the most part they were machine like and crushed teams.
    My last post was purposly exsagerated but when Gudjohnson replaced Tiago/Jarosik in midfield in late February of last year they kept 1 clean sheet in about 10 games after previously conceding 1 goal in over 10 games.
    evilhomer wrote:
    Gerrard has his days when he can dominate a game but can't sustain form. Hardly the hallmark of a great player.
    Lampard may be consistent on match of the day but he's not this consistent robot that is being talked about here. On many occasions he'll score a goal/penalty and that will get him out of the woods for a while.

eirebhoy wrote:
    My last post was purposly exsagerated but when Gudjohnson replaced Tiago/Jarosik in midfield in late February of last year they kept 1 clean sheet in about 10 games after previously conceding 1 goal in over 10 games.

I believe that had more to do with Wayne Bridge being injured and Gallas having to play at left back. Then Gudjohnsen being in midfield. Not to mention I don't think that Gudjohnsen has the work rate to be a midfielder.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Lampard may be consistent on match of the day but he's not this consistent robot that is being talked about here. On many occasions he'll score a goal/penalty and that will get him out of the woods for a while.

Sounds a bit like Gerrard to me to and Kaka and Ronaldinhio. Players go missing in matches all the time. they can't be on the ball 100% of the time.
    But when they pop up they score or create something.

I will say this again, just to reiterate, I don't think that Lampard is the best in the world but he is up there. So much hype surrounds the English players, every now and again(very rarely) the press are right :eek:
    Actually come to think of it the English press spend all their time hyping up Rooney, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard, etc... don't spend so much time talking about lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I don't think he's necessarily the best technically but he's probably the most influential player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Did anyone see Riquelme for Argentina against England? That's the standard Lampard has to aspire to.

Advertisement