Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

denis o brien to enter race for dsl?

Options
  • 21-09-2001 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

from business and finance

http://new.businessandfinance.ie/rankednews2.htm?s=index.html;s2=rankednews2.htm;r=4;a=159897

O'Brien to enter race for DSL?
    Friday, September 21 14:00:15

(Bus & Fin)

Denis O'Brien may be the next to enter the high-speed internet market through DSL (digital subscriber line) technology, according to market sources.

Business & Finance Online has learned that O'Brien is in talks with his finance and telecoms teams in Dublin and in London, having cleared his plate of two major hurdles - the PGA bid and the fight for Eircom.

Market commentators believe that O'Brien could be looking at operating as a wholesale buyer of time on the DSL networks, which will most likely be provided either by Eircom or Esat. Eircom is currently in dispute with the telecoms regulator, Etain Doyle, over its price list for the service, which she described as "not cost effective" and "discriminatory" to other telecoms competitors. Meanwhile, Esat is poised to take Eircom's DSL market share, having has said it would be ready to roll out DSL by January.

Operating as a wholesale buyer of minutes and selling them on at a discount to the big operators would be the most economical way O'Brien could enter the DSL market. The system is similar to that used by mobile operators such as Sprint, which sold on cheaper minutes to its customer base until it was forced out of business by Eircell following a lengthy court battle.

This system would avoid the need for extensive investment in hardware and infrastructure.

O'Brien already has a company to use as a vehicle for the DSL option -

e-Island, which has received extensive publicity through its battle for the ownership of Eircom. The company is already imprinted in the public's mind as a telecoms group, and draws upon the experience of the team O'Brien used to create Esat, many of whom are currently in the Level 62 operation in Donnybrook, Dublin, brought together to work on the 3G licences late last year.

However, the entire system still relies upon Eircom unbundling the local loop for the eventual DSL provider to use, as DSL technology uses the existing copper wires of normal fixed line telecoms. The ODTR told Business & Finance Online today that it hopes the unbundling of the local loop would be completed by the end of the year, and that it is being treated as "a matter of urgency".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by neverhappen
    from business and finance
    The ODTR told Business & Finance Online today that it hopes the unbundling of the local loop would be completed by the end of the year, and that it is being treated as "a matter of urgency".

*chuckle* If Ms Doyle tries anything else, I'm sure there'll be even more lawyers in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Although personally I dont like DO'B for various reasons....

He has a track record (perhaps the only person in the telco sector in Ireland) of providing dynamic, consumer friendly products both in relation to the interent and mobile telephony.

If it all happens in the end, nobody knows. It will all depend on the cost of the wholesale offering from €ircon as agreed w/ the ODTR.
    Business & Finance though are usually good for some "informed specuation" so there must be some credence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

If it all happens in the end, nobody knows. It will all depend on the cost of the wholesale offering from €ircon as agreed w/ the ODTR.

It would appear (see earlier esat thread) that another option open to dob and esat is to use the local loop for the last line and supply your own dsl equipment.

So are the wholesale dsl prices not that important after all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It would appear (see earlier esat thread) that another option open to dob and esat is to use the local loop for the last line and supply your own dsl equipment.

afaik you would need full llu which as far as i can see is one huge legal battle away, bitstream llu is/could be here now.

Long Term.... NO

But if he wants to get in ahead of €ircon or €$at without having to physically get his stuff into the exchange itself then the w'sale rate is v. important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by 80project.com

€$at

Whats with that?
    Esat are strangely enough, our friends, eircom are then enemy.
    Esat hhave done great things for Irish net users including the ACT boot camp.

I'm never one to hold a grudge.

NOT !!

Ahh maybe I'll review its use for esat (lower case), but not the other crowd.
    Actually if you look @ the above posts I acknowledge this. They admittley do have a good track record (barring ACT letter) and I was very impressed w/ Derek Kickham @ the seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

How do you buy/sell 'minutes' of adsl time?
    The logic seems to run counter to the actual nature of dsl usage (leave it running all the time with ocassional bursts of heavy bandwidth usage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by 80project.com
    I'm never one to hold a grudge.

NOT !!

I can understand peeps being pissed @ ACT as basically the whole "letter of death" if summarised did (1)lie (2)patronise us (3)poked fun @ us
    But Esat are cool in my book.

peace.
    :)

Advertisement