Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing dawes discovery 701 - stolen :(

Options
  • 30-10-2005 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

am looking to replace my beloved dawes discovery 701 which was pinched from my house in terenure recently

have been quoted 1000 euro for an updated replacement 701 but would like to know if other boards readers have any recommendations in the 700-1000 bracket

the bike is primarily for a nine mile daily commute a few times a week and occasional spins up the mountains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

There is a bike shop, called 'The Bike Shop' in Maynooth had a Discovery (new) for something like €800?, Think it was a 510? It was black, looked good. might be of help. Nice bike but I need to carry bloody luggage :( so it's out.

Cassiel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I've been cycling a 2004 Specialized Sirrus, the entry-level model not the Comp nor Sport, for around a year and a half now, and i love it. I've got a commute of around 16k every day and it's a solid, comfortable ride.

It cost 700€ at the time, and the snazzier models come with better derailleurs and a bit more carbon fibre, even though the Sora deraileurs and the carbon fork work just fine for my daily spin and trips at the weekend.

No hesitation in recommending the Sirrus if you're looking to stray from Dawes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Trampas

I picked up a discovery 401 2nd hand but in perfect condition (not a mark or scratch on it) last winter for €400.

Front Roc fork suspension.

Slick tyres and a couple of years garantuee.

Got it in rathmines.
    Always worth while looking around at the 2nd hand market as bikes like these are usually kept very well by their owners since the price of them

Could you not claim for the bike on your insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redknight

I have had a similiar experience

I had my bike stolen on the grounds of DIT kevin st shortly after I completed a 30mile training run in the Phoenix park. I was training for the Dublin City Triathlon. I normally am very careful but this time I left my bike temporally for a while parked unfortunately with only a cheap lock. There is a combination lock damaged but took great patience to unlock and lock the bike so I abandoned using this lock. My Intention was to come back a short time later and take the bike into my office. Unfortunately the bike was robbed during this time

Date: 12th August 2008

Time: between 3pm and 4pm

Staff Bike parking area in the grounds of The Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) Lower Kevin St. Dublin 8

Security used on bike:

Unfortunately there was only a cheap lock securing the bike & was easily opened

Method of removal :....ridden away from the back of Kevin St College acroos to Heysbury Street area

Bike description:

Dawes discovery 701 .. Colour Red..21" frame, Chainwheel combination consisting of one small, one medium and one large chainwheel combination for 3 X 7 speed gear change..colour black.

rear gear change consisting of 7 cogwheels with 3 X chainwheel combination for 21 speed racing

Kavelar tyres where the rear tyre has a black 5mm line in the center & following the curvature of the tyre.

Black handle bars with gear change levers for easy access with thunb of each hand to change gears

Click on pedals for cycling shoes

Black water bottle holder

Blue grey kit bag with upper & lower zips with spare tube and 3 green tyre levers

There was also a narrow damaged black numbered combination lock that will open or close with code 5714.

If anyone is offered this bike for sale please email me contact the gardai at Kevin St Garda Station at 6669400 and ask for Colm O'Carroll or ring me at 087 9164181

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@stanbowles- you wouldn't consider crossing over to the dark side with drop bars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Pretty sure he's long replaced his bike...

Ha, good spot penexpers. In other news, has anyone seen this codger who ran off with my bike the other day (photo-fit) :D

90072215.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

but seriously, how the hell did we go from 4/11/2005 to today in one fell swoop? I would have thought that the original thread would long have fallen off the back of the server... How many pages did you have to go back to find this one?

kenmc wrote: »
    but seriously, how the hell did we go from 4/11/2005 to today in one fell swoop? I would have thought that the original thread would long have fallen off the back of the server... How many pages did you have to go back to find this one?
    Someone searching for "stolen dawes discovery 701" I reckon, he's right I guess, why start a *new* thread about stolen Dawes Discovery 701s when there is one already!

@redknight- commiserations on the bike theft, nice bike to get nicked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

fixies are just everywhere these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redknight

I think my bike was actually a Giro 300, can't remember the exact make, but a red 21" racing bike with 21 speeds with black chainwheels and black handlebars,Kavlar tyres without mudguards..

Forget the sense of humour and the funny replies..I'm pissed off :mad:

Advertisement