Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pubs in Dublin?

Options
  • 30-10-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

OK folks, moved to Ireland from Edinburgh and much as I'd love to go round Dublin's pubs one by one to find the best, I'm sure you guys can point me in the direction of the best! Been in Whelans after a recommendation from someone, good place, more of the same please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Depends on what type of pub you're looking for. If it's older, more traditional style pubs:

Mulligans, Poolbeg Street - reputed to be the best pint of Guinness in town
    Kehoes, South Anne Street - great atmosphere, but can tend to get a bit crowded. Avoid upstairs where all the kiddies go.
    McDaids, Harry Street - famous literary pub. Good crowd.
    Bruxelles, Harry Street - across the street from McDaids. Lively bar upstairs, biker bar downstairs. Excellent music, generally.
    Palace Bar, Fleet Street / Long Hall, South Great Georges Street - two of the remaining old-style Victorian pubs in Dublin. Prefer the Palace myself, if asked to choose.
    The Duke, Duke Street - not as old or historical as the others, but usually pretty lively with a decent crowd.

Hope they're of use to you, but if you're looking for more modern, trendy pubs, I'm afraid someone else will have to help you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deco76

Check out my web-site!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

Cheers mate, traditional is good when the mates come over looking for the "real" Ireland! Anyone keep me right on the modern trendy pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deco76

For Trendy Pubs you might try:

Ron Blacks (The Big One) - Dawson Street
    4 Dame Lane - Laneway adjacent to Dame Street (Past the Bankers Pub)
    Traffic - Abbey Street
    Grand Central - Corner of O'Connel Street/Abbet Street

To name a few!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Dakota on George's Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, Mulligan's is tops for a pint of Guinness.

4 Dame Lane is fairly decent for a good night out.

Camden St and Georges St worth checking out.

Just stay away from Temple Bar. :D

Zebra3 wrote:
    Just stay away from Temple Bar. :D

Yeah, did the tourist thing when over on holiday years ago, only been back in Temple Bar whilst crossing it when going elsewhere!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Conways Pub on Parnell St is deadly. Quiet pub downstairs and The Boom Boom Room upstairs which has bands on. Lovely pints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Graingers pub on the Malahide road, proper pub with good quality as well. Modern wise, I wouldn't know where to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Kobayashi wrote:
    OK folks, moved to Ireland from Edinburgh and much as I'd love to go round Dublin's pubs one by one to find the best, I'm sure you guys can point me in the direction of the best! Been in Whelans after a recommendation from someone, good place, more of the same please!

Welcome to Dublin, Kobayashi.

I lived in Edinburgh for 2 years, what a truly beautiful city. I would definately consider moving back there in the future. I really miss the £1.50 pints of Carlsberg from my local (Festival Tavern). :(

How are you finding the Dublin? What made you move here?

There's nice little place called 'The Long Hall', which is on Georges St. It's nice during the week when it's quiet.

Don't restrict yourself to the city centre. There's a cool pub called 'Johnny Fox's', the highest pub in Ireland. It's about a 25 minute drive from the city. Great atmosphere, lives trad music.. and a smoking bus! If you don't have access to a car you can get the 44B bus from Ranelagh, or a taxi of course.

frontal.jpg
    photo13.jpg

• Advertisement

Aye, you'll find the beer more expensive now in Auld Reekie! I'm working out in Newbridge. Had to pick between working south of England or Ireland so there was no contest really as I'd been over here about a dozen times. Been everywhere from Tralee and Cork in the south through Waterford and Galway to Letterkenny in the north so knew what I was letting myself in for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Kobayashi wrote:
    Aye, you'll find the beer more expensive now in Auld Reekie! I'm working out in Newbridge. Had to pick between working south of England or Ireland so there was no contest really as I'd been over here about a dozen times. Been everywhere from Tralee and Cork in the south through Waterford and Galway to Letterkenny in the north so knew what I was letting myself in for!

Ah, the Scots accent came back to me there.

In my Edinburgh job, I had to work in England on the odd occasion, and I must say, I really didn't like it. I loved London though, but I certainly wouldn't live there. Guess I just didn't fit in in England for some reason. Scotland felt like home to me.

Sorry for going off pub topic here, don't reply if you're not interested.

Tell me, do you notice much Irish colloquialisms here? In Scotland, there seemed to be loads of words and expressions that I'd never heard of before. At the same time, I began to realise that the Scottish couldn't understand some of my expressions. It dawned on me that the Irish themselves have many odd expressions and words that Scottish people wouldn't understand.

I worked in IT support, so I was conversing with Scots every day over the phone. At times there were communication problems:

"Ask yer man what time he's closin' at."... "yer man" meaning "the person in question", same for "yer one", which is for females.

"Where's your jax?", meaning, "where's your toilet". It took me a long time to refrain from saying that one in Scotland.

"Me aul'fella" or "me aul'one", for father and mother respectively. Had to scrap that too.

"I think it's banjaxed", meaning "I think it's broken". Nope, nobody understood that, much to my surprise.

I used to greet groups of Scottish people with "Howerye lads", this didn't seem to be used in Scotland either.

Anyway, I don't think there are as many slangs and colloquialisms in Ireland as there is in Scotland, which is odd really as Ireland is an island, and you would expect, it being isolated from England, that there would be a lot more colloquialisms than in Scotland. Would you agree with this so far?

morlan wrote:

Anyway, I don't think there are as many slangs and colloquialisms in Ireland as there is in Scotland, which is odd really as Ireland is an island, and you would expect, it being isolated from England, that there would be a lot more colloquialisms than in Scotland. Would you agree with this so far?

I'd say there was! Quickly picked up on a lot of everyday sayings as I was determined not to repeat them and lose my Scottish accent over here! Things like "work away" spring to mind. Folk get a good laugh at some of the Scottish expressions, like when someone is looking unhappy we say their face is "tripping them". Workmates had never heard it before.

Back on the subject of pubs, went into Sinnots and Break for the Border last night and had a great time. Done my bit for anglo Scottish relations too!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

There's some good pubs on George's Street. Also Whelans is good. Messrs Maguire, 4 Dame Lane, Sinnotts....

Advertisement