Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked her religion in a Job questionaire.. legal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I personally don't like the fact that many Application forms are asking alot of personnel questions. IMO if for satistical reasons you what to know what religion, sexuality, race, nationality, marital status etc of your work force you should ask them to take a secret survey once they have employed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Yes it is legal and Zod Northern Ireland is not a foreign country.

I repeat it is legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it is legal and Zod Northern Ireland is not a foreign country.

Yes Northern Ireland is a foreign country. Sorry to upset the shinners on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bond-007 wrote:
    Yes Northern Ireland is a foreign country.
    A different country, but not "foreign" - by treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Victor wrote:
    A different country, but not "foreign" - by treaty.

True - and the UK does not consider ROI foreign either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

A different jurisdiction but always Ireland; that's a bit irrelevant anyway.

Neither equality act explicitly mentions religion (I could be wrong on that).
    However I am sure that if there was religious _discrimination_ the chain would be in trouble.

You do have to have an anti discrimiantion policy if y ou Ask those questions but I am sure that the company has one.

It is all in the relevant acts, what they are really concerned about is gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

you know i'm just thinking this would be a great way for a company to recruit people - ask them a question like this, but maybe a little less controversial. those that complain, well no matter what the result is then they wouldn't be considered, and those that don't, and who are easy going, automatically get a step further towards getting the job no matter what they answer. completely illegal i know, but the way they answer, and what they get all fussed up over really would show people's true colours and their personalities.

patzer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

A quick phone call will tell you whether it is legal or not. (ODEI)

I don't think it is.

Also, it won't make any difference to your friend unless s/he has actually been refused the job and can somehow show (through statistics or otherwise) that her answer to that question was a basis for the refusal. All a successful complaint will do is compel them to change their application form.

Advertisement