Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Seat Leon - any opinions

Options
  • 30-10-2005 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Took the new Leon for a spin there on Friday and have to say I am very tempted. I could not find many reviews on the net about it so I would be interested in hearing peoples views on it.

Currently the only models available have a 1.6, with the 1.4 coming out next year (the dealer said middle to late 06). Its drives very well and I think it looks great too. I am just a little concerned about going for the 1.6 for resale value down the road if the 1.4 is more popular when it comes out. Also would hate to wait for the 1.4 and for it to be very under powered.

Has anyone else driven it yet, or have any opinions on 1.4 v 1.6?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Try www.cbg.ie usually get good review's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

From reviews of the old car the 1.4 was under-powered, and the new car is bigger and possibly heavier. I'd go for the 1.6, but if you are seriously worried about resale value wait for the 1.4. Someone else should've driven one though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Finn Dub wrote:
    Took the new Leon for a spin there on Friday and have to say I am very tempted. I could not find many reviews on the net about it so I would be interested in hearing peoples views on it.

Currently the only models available have a 1.6, with the 1.4 coming out next year (the dealer said middle to late 06). Its drives very well and I think it looks great too. I am just a little concerned about going for the 1.6 for resale value down the road if the 1.4 is more popular when it comes out. Also would hate to wait for the 1.4 and for it to be very under powered.

Has anyone else driven it yet, or have any opinions on 1.4 v 1.6?

Thanks.

1.4 v 1.6

It depends how you use your car. Do you do most of your driving in urban areas or outside of towns/cities? How much driving do you do? Eg. Do you comute long distances to and from work, etc?

If you are only driving 10 or 20 miles a day to and from work and it is all urban driving them maybe 1.4 is enough for you. If you drive outside the city on narrow stretches of road then the 1.6 would be more suited because of the extra power for overtaking. I presume that the 1.4 is the bog standard 75bhp version that VW used in the previous Leon and still uses in the current Golf and Octavia so don't expect miracles in the power department, it is more suited to urban type driving.

Also take the increase in tax, insurance and petrol into account. Plus resale value as most cars in this class are sold as 1.4. Demand for a 1.6 will be very low and this means that any premium paid for a 1.6 will more than likely be lost come trade-in time. You can buy second hand 1.6 version of the Golf, Focus, Octavia, etc for almost the same price as a 1.4 due to lower demand in that market segment.

Might be best to wait for the 1.4 and take both types for a test drive and see which one you can live with the best.

Advertisement