Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The description under your username

• 21-09-2001 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭

I loved the fact that you used to be able to edit them and make your own name up, now that it's gone and been replaced by "Junior Moderator", it's just a little sad to have there, the idea of being able to change it when you were over 1000 posts was good, maybe change it to 700 or 500 posts to give more people the option ?? and use the stars to denote what you do, cause right now there's 2 things there denoting that the person is a moderator, or a newbie, or a high post count person.

Seems a bit of a waste to me, gonna try posting a poll :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I like cake :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm, it was encouraging spamming, also we thought it would be fun if people could change other peoples taglines.

So, we're thinking about this:

£5 donation to the boards.ie's party fund and you can specify a new tagline for yourself.

£10 donation and you can change someone ELSES tagline

£15 donation and you can change your tagline and LOCK your tagline from anyone else changing it in the future.

:D

We're planning possibly once every 2 months regular Lets Get Pissed partys somewhere (we'll have cash to spend from ads hopefully, eventually!). so the cash will be thrown in with that.

Anyone got any comments on this?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hehe, thats a cool idea. The cheques in the post Dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

What is a junior moderator any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

how's about this:

£20 and u can put someone's post count back to 0,

or maybe £1 per 100 posts?

anyone want to start a get the spammer's down to 0 fund? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by DeVore
    £15 donation and you can change your tagline and LOCK your tagline from anyone else changing it in the future.

Don't make it so we can lock it permanently - have it where we can lock it for a month or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Class idea DeV.

Also, cash for exclusive access to avatars. YA HEAR ME YA AMP WANNABES?!!!

P.s. Dev, you're a pimp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by amp
    Also, cash for exclusive access to avatars. YA HEAR ME YA AMP WANNABES?!!!

P.s. Dev, you're a pimp

thats 'youre' not your actually.
    and like, actually like, youre like both my biatches....

whjat is your avatar anyway.
    it looks like that stuff you sometimes try to grow on your chin WW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I got 4 white stars... I can't wait to hear someone bitching about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hey why the hell has he got four stars?

I feel oppressed right now...

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Idea originally came from the somethingawful.com forums, as far as I know. They're a right mess, but a good laugh all the same. Has anyone seen their photoshopping challenges? :)

Will you be doing away with the no-lifers being able to change their titles then?

Any plans for custom avatars? :)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

thats 'youre' not your actually.
    and like, actually like, youre like both my biatches....

It's "you're" actually indicating the shortened "you are" and I corrected it three minutes before you posted. Someday I might actually give you a tour of your keyboard pointing out various features such as the shift key and how to actually insert punctuation.

Thus I win.

whjat is your avatar anyway.

That's "What" actually, unless it's some l33t norwegian way of saying "what".

Thus I win again.

it looks like that stuff you sometimes try to grow on your chin WW)

It's actually a space invader from the game "Pacman" as owned/licensed by the games manufacturer "Namco". With reference to your comments about my occasional facial hair I respond thusly:

At least I can.

Thus I win both thricely and decisively. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

And the motto of the post is:
    BEWARE THE WRATH OF THE BOARDS.IE AMP!!!!!

P.s I wuv you!

BTW How much will it cost us to BAN CASTOR TROY!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Can you make it 20 quid and you can change someone elses title and lock it? :)

Hobbes... Fool.... Money... MUHAHAHA

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

2 wee purple stars eh.... or are they pink....
    I am a muppet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Devore wrote:
    £10 donation and you can change someone ELSES tagline

I endorse this product.

I also think this type of thing could be considered a legitimate company expense ;)

This could be fun :D

Alis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How much for swapping 2 user's statuses? Think of the possibilities.... Bard a newbie and gladiator a mod...... could be interesting :eek:

Or how much for swapping 2 users post counts? Swapping Alis's and Hobbes' for instance :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by phaxx
    Idea originally came from the somethingawful.com forums, as far as I know. They're a right mess, but a good laugh all the same. Has anyone seen their photoshopping challenges? :)

Will you be doing away with the no-lifers being able to change their titles then?

Any plans for custom avatars? :)

Never thought of custom avatars! One step at a time.

absolutely noone will be able to change their taglines, even mods so that kills the "spam till I'm a no-lifer" muppets.

We need to balance having a bit of fun and pissing off people who cant afford to keep changing their tag!

Its basically a way for the community to support Boards.ie and get something back at the same time. Excess money beyond the server renewal will go to the drink fund. We should be making profit every month (here's hoping!) so it should all go to the fund.

I reckon we'll kick off with the first party around November.

DeV.

ps: I'm glad people have gotten into the spirit of this as its really not a money spinner for us, but it was the only way we could think of doing this without being innudated with change requests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Alass I have lost a start but I feel.... I have somehow gained so much more......weight that was a bloody big chiense :)

But seriously that idea of donating money is an excellent one :D

Also how about for £50 quid you can change someones tagline AND lock it :D That would be soooooo cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

That was mentioned above - for £15. However I'm sure devore and the lads will have no objections to you donating £50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

As I've said before, love the idea :).

<IMHO>
    Don't like it, too complicated.

What if someones already bought anothers tag and someone else want's to change it? How do we pay? Secure server et al?
    Who's going to have the time to manage a system where nearly 5000 members can change/reserve tags?

I don't see how the mods tags were causing spam. The simple solution was to take it away from the no-lifers. Or people proved to be abusing it.

It's a good cause and all that, and to be fair it makes me nearly sick to pointing out a flaw in a plan that allows me free beer, but what about the people who won't be able to go to the Boards.ie parties cos they live far away? What about are underage members?

It's half-baked. I'm blowing out the candles on this and making a wish. I want my cake and eat it. I like cake, and if you don't like that then you can stick it up your swiss roll. I have my fingers in many pies, you know, and I am not making a trifle of this. This is just the icing on the cake folks. So pretty please, with a cherry on top, give me my cake back.
    </IMHO>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

stop using my lines.

muppet

what ever happened to the boards.ie tea mugs anyway?
    i want to buy one

Amp, they'll be done by whatever order we get them in.

I really doubt THAT many people are going to send us cash or cheques that we'll be too busy to keep up. If so, hey, we are getting cash for beer!

We're not doing an e-comm solution to this unless someone points out a really easy one to use. Taglines on the back of a fiver. We'll give out the address when I announce it officially...

The Cafepress shop was just stupid expensive for delivery so we're doing a shop with TshirtZoo. Stay tuned I should have it up next week.

DeV.

Fair enough, what about my other points? No disrespect, Dev but you did ask for feedback.

Originally posted by amp
    <IMHO>
    Don't like it, too complicated.

What if someones already bought anothers tag and someone else want's to change it?

Eh? You can change own, mess with someone elses or permanently stop anyone but you changing yours.
    Any changes you make to someone elses tagline last until ANOTHER person changes that tagline (could be the person who owns that tagline, or yet another messer :) )

How do we pay? Secure server et al?
    Who's going to have the time to manage a system where nearly 5000 members can change/reserve tags?

Money in an envelope. We doubt we'll get that many that it cant be handled. it doesnt take long to alter someones tagline like!

I don't see how the mods tags were causing spam. The simple solution was to take it away from the no-lifers. Or people proved to be abusing it.

Yeah, but thats favouritism for the mods :)
    and lets face it about half the mods are going to alter the other halfs tagline, day one! :)

It's a good cause and all that, and to be fair it makes me nearly sick to pointing out a flaw in a plan that allows me free beer, but what about the people who won't be able to go to the Boards.ie parties cos they live far away? What about are underage members?

Underage members wont be able to attend, but I've run enough lans etc that I think I deserve a beer :)
    I'm hoping to run it side by side with a monty lan or some such so that there is entertainment nearby as well, (for those who dont find being drunk entertaining, or indeed dont find watching AMP be drunk entertaining..)

Hope this answers your feedback (and yes I'm glad to have it, stops us doing anything unpopular and pissing people off).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

How about if i donate £500 quid to have my nick changed to Devore with all the attributes associated (including that Heaven 17 haircut and that sleeveless army jacket!).

The real Devores tag has to be changed to _Fast_Newbie_ or maybe something like : Sudds :)

*cough*

You think 500 quid will do that?

Ok, but only if you change your Boards nick and quake nick to Adra :p

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I like the Satan sig.

Originally posted by DeVore

Underage members wont be able to attend, but I've run enough lans etc that I think I deserve a beer :)

You certainly do, and does Cloud. And any of the other people that make this place possible. And I'm all in favour of making the boards self sufficent. It's just that this tags thing made me a little... apprehensive. Less so now. However I reserve the right to childishly go "na na na told you so" :)

I'm hoping to run it side by side with a monty lan or some such so that there is entertainment nearby as well, (for those who dont find being drunk entertaining, or indeed dont find watching AMP be drunk entertaining..)

There can't be many people that don't find me being drunk entertaining. I should charge people to watch.

Hope this answers your feedback (and yes I'm glad to have it, stops us doing anything unpopular and pissing people off).

It does, but stop making me kiss your árse, I have a bolshie reputation to uphold. ;)

Advertisement