Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firemonger

• 30-10-2005 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Firemonger is an open source project that produces an iso/cd of Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird along with Themes, Plug-ins and Extensions. We're fully endorsed and licenced by Mozilla and we sourced our own Licences for the Plug-ins.

It has multiple translations and was recently featured on 'Slashdot.org' which is a major techie site. It also recently got a 'Softpedia' 5/5 pick.

Currently it's ported for use on windows only and we're trying to get a mac and Linux porting sorted. It is here we are looking for volunteers to help.

I've also been trying to get an Irish translator for some time now but haven't had much luck in that reguard, so if anyone would like to donate a bit of time to that they would be more than welcome. The project is hosted in Ireland for free by myself btw.

Link to the site: http://www.firemonger.org and the support forums are here
    http://firemonger.org/forums/

If anyone would like to help, even maybe to take it on as part of a School/College I.T. project, which personally I would really like to see, then feel free to drop by and join the forum and you can let the developers know via there..

The project was started by a guy called James, who is a student himself and has come a long way since it's beginning 18 or so months ago. Allthough I look after it and it's hosting/development progess|Administration/legal needs all of the actual software development is developed is by students who have volunteered there time. The same with the translators.

Firemonger is also one of the Featured Projects on the main page of Mozilla.org as well.

This is a brief synopsis on the project;
    The Firemonger project is an attempt to create a multilingual easy-to-use compilation CD with Firefox™, Thunderbird™ and the best extensions, themes and utilities. Both of these programs have been created through collaboration overseen by the Mozilla Foundation and are free for use by anyone. Over time it has been created and contributed to by many people who enjoy using Firefox and Thunderbird and want to spread the word. As most people interested in the Internet and software already know about Firefox we especially aim to make our CD easy for the average person to install and learn everything they need to know about Firefox and Thunderbird. Our CD has become a way for Firefox users to convert their friends.

Thanks for your interest.....:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nice project but I'm puzzled as to why you are interested in an Irish translation. Sure if someone wants to do it they can. Actively searching for one though seems a bit odd, after all there aren't that many speakers here who would need it - after all our native language is English. Still nice project and I've stuck it in my .sig to give it a bit more publicity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Nice project but I'm puzzled as to why you are interested in an Irish translation. Sure if someone wants to do it they can. Actively searching for one though seems a bit odd, after all there aren't that many speakers here who would need it - after all our native language is English. Still nice project and I've stuck it in my .sig to give it a bit more publicity :)

Well I suppose it's because it's hosted in Ireland and would make a good project for say a School IT/Language type of thing. My thinking was it would just be nice to see an Irish translation really....

Thanks for supporting the project with a sig link :)

Feel free to download the iso and pass on via cd as often as you wish - the more the better...

:)

Advertisement